Help! Night time Baby - Mum in need of sleep.

Ria_Rose

Mum to JJ & expecting #2
Reaction score
Josh is now 3 weeks old, in the womb he was always most active after 10pm and it looks like his body clock is still set to night.

We usually go to bed with him (he's in a moses in our room) at 9 or 10, change his nappy, give him a good feed and then he used to drift off by 11 (12 at the worst) sleep through till 3.30, change, feed and he sleeps till 7.30. I couldn't believ how lucky we were...

... however recently we've gone to bed at 9 and I've not been able to get him off till 3 or 4 :sleep:

I'm shattered, and have never been able to nap, OH had to be up for work 5 this morning - so i felt like i should let him doze while i tried to get Josh to sleep. Besides OH can't BF, lol.

We've been using the MW original advice of warming his moses with a hot water bottle while he's out of it - so it's not cold. But he won't settle, he's wide awake and wants feeding and entertaining (i try not to entertain him, as i heard it's not goodto encourage play when you want him to sleep).

During the day he has a good mix of alert and asleep times, and I breast feed on demand. He sleeps when we take him out.

Any suggstions on getting him to sleep a little more at night would be greatly appreciated.

He is likely just starting to wake up and be more alert.

Jasmine goes to bed after 10 and gets up bettween 6-7 usually with one feed around 2-3. I dont change her diaper in the middle of the night either (if she were sleeping through she would not have it changed anyways), and I keep things as dark as I can and I dont talk to her. She basically just falls asleep at that feed now and goes back to her bed.

Make sure it is nice and bright during the day too. Make it super boring at nighttime.

Oh I'm feeling you on this one hun! Ollie has good and bad nights, like last night only got up once at 3am which is fab but sometimes he's up every 2 hours wanting feeding. Those nights I'm shattered! Plus before I got his reflux sorted I wasn't getting any sleep as my night consisted of changing him constantly as he was being sick. Anyway as Ryder suggests really, dull/dark room, not talking and not changing the nappy unless necessary. Apart from that I can't suggest anything else! x

Im still struggling with this and Jacob is 10 weeks on sat!!! Some nights he'll be better than others but a max of 5 hours (broken) sleep a night and he only has 3-4 lil naps in the day!!! He is just really alert and wants to look around and play more than sleeping :rofl: but i have got used to it now, so its kinda became the norm :)

Hope he starts sleeping better soonXXXX

It's still early days, your little one is only a few weeks old-it will get easier.

it took elliot weeks to settle down and learn night from day...but he knows now. he was also active at night in my belly.

Have you considered co-sleeping, I found it really helped me to get enough sleep in the early days. That said, you do have to get them into their own bed at the right time so they're not still there at 10 lol.

Have you considered co-sleeping, I found it really helped me to get enough sleep in the early days. That said, you do have to get them into their own bed at the right time so they're not still there at 10 lol.

:rofl: Hed better not still be with us at 10 or else he won't ever get a little brother or sister, lol.

He does seem to fall asleep in our bed OK after feeding, it's only when I move him into his moses on the floor that he decides he wasn't all that alseep. I do doze off slighly sometimes while feeding him, but too scared to leave him with us in case I crush him - I've woken up in a panic twice looking in the bed covers for him and even asking my OH where he is - when he was safely in his moses. :dohh:

Hope is in sight, my Mum has got us a rocking stand for the moses, as motion does seem to help him sleep. Although if it works i'll worry he'll struggle when he goes in his cot/bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->