• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HELP!!! Nipple Guards and LOOOOONG feedings!!

nmv

Reaction score
My daughter is 11 days old now and has insisted on a nipple guard since day 3 in the hospital. She was doing so well the first couple days, but my nipples were scabbing over and we thought the scratchiness might be why she was rejecting it all of a sudden. Now, at day 11, they've been healed up for several days, but she still fusses until I put on the guard.

She also takes FOREVER to nurse! Like over an hour to empty one side, then frequently wants the other side to top off. This frequently tethers me to our feeding spot for over 2 hours at a time, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the guard!

I just don't know what to do. It seems excessive to feed as long as she sleeps or longer...I end up spending half my day feeding!!

Any advice is more than welcome!

That's very normal for a newborn, she's working on building your supply. My LO fed seemingly non-stop for at least 6 weeks. I'm not familiar with the guards or how to ditch them but unfortunately I think you'll be stuck to your couch even without them. ;)

My advice is to make sure you have lots of water and snacks and make yourself comfortable with some new shows and movies! It feels like so much right now but it'll be over before you know it. I dare say I miss those days. In hindsight it was almost like she was forcing me to sit down and relax and be close to her, which looking back there is of course nothing more important! Try to enjoy it if you can and don't feel pressured to get other stuff done right now if you don't absolutely have to. :)

I could've written this post a week ago! I've been using shields since my boy was a couple of days old because of scabbing and pain. He would sometimes take up to an hour and a half to have a full feed. Not always but many times. I did wonder if it was to do with the shields but i think its just the whole newborn stage tbh.

My boy will be 4 weeks tomorrow and feeds are down to 20-40mins now! About a week ago it seemed like he just got the whole feeding thing. It really felt like he just got the hang of it. Im not worried about trying to ditch the shields just yet. Im just happy that ive stuck at breastfeeding for as long as i have.

I did speak to a breastfeeding peer supporter about what i could try to wean off the shields and there is a few things to try but she said it can be alot easier when they are a bit bigger and stronger and know what they are doing. I have also seen a few posts where some babies have just knocked them off mid feed and never needed them again!

So if i were you id give it another week or two and see how you feel about it but hopefully its just that your baby is still so little and needing the longer nursing times.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"