Help - No support

Littlebabyf

married
Reaction score
Hi ladies

My lo is 9 weeks tomorrow and have successfully breastfed since day one with no issues however he has not gained a huge amount of weight, very slow gain in fact and I have everyone except my husband telling me he should be put on a bottle otherwise I will have no life and no routine and he will always want mummy etc etc. My auntie, nan, 2 diff sets of best friends (who all have children) and even a complete stranger in Starbucks whilst I was breastfeeding :wacko: Said get him on the bottle!!

My question is he still wakes up 3 times a night and does not go to bed until 11pm and is wide awake by 6.30am so 3 times in that time is exhausting. I have tries bathing him at about 4.30pm-5pm but he just feeds and feeds and feeds until 11pm again and will refuse to go to sleep. I am seriously considering switching if everyone is right about weight gain etc. Maybe the fact he is so unsettled is a sign that breastfeeding may not be working for him? Also does a formula feed before bed do any harm?

Would appreciate thoughts and any support

Giving any formula at all will be detrimental to your supply, it might be ok but it might start you on a stressful, slippery slope. As long as your LO IS gaining steadily and is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies it is fine. Maybe try block feeding where you feed from only one breast for a set amount of time say 2/3 hours so your LO gets more fat rich hind milk. My LO still wakes 3 times a night, I dont think BF has anything to do with how often your LO is waking xxx

My dd was a slow gainer also. As long as he is gaining weight and having enough wet diapers he is getting enough milk from you. Pixxie's idea about block feeding is a great idea. Also, it's perfectly normal for bf babies to cluster feed in the evening. Clara used to do it from about 4pm to 10pm every night until she was almost 3 months. As far as the night feeds go, have you tried co-sleeping? That way you can still kinda sleep through the feeds and you don't have to get out of bed to get baby to do them. Keep up the good work, you're doing a fantastic job and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.:thumbup:

FF will not necessarily make LO sleep through, or even longer for that matter. I tried a FF before bed for a few weeks and Erin still woke every 3 hours. If you have a look in the sticky ^^ I think there is a chart for BF babies weight gain as it is different from that of a FF baby. If it's not there, I have a copy I can email to you if you want.

Do you have a local BF support group? If you do, definitely go and see some of the other mums! You will get to speak to them about similar issues and have support from people with experience. Its not fair that the people close to you are not supportive - but they may not have any experience with BF so think it would be easier for you to switch. If you want to, then go for it! If you want to carry on BF (which we will all encourage you to do and that ou have done so brilliantly for 9 massive weeks!) then they need to know this and help.

Keep your bedtime routine going and he will slip into it soon. He will still be cluster feeding for a few more weeks, but once that starts to wear off, he will slip into your routine lovely and you will get some better sleep! I think Erin stopped cluster feeding (well, stopped the 4pm-11pm cluster feeding!) at around 12weeks. It will get better!

Thanks for the helpful replies. I just really want people around me to be more supportive.

Also my lo just went from 10.45pd until 5,30am without a feed! I can't believe it. Why is this? Is it because he's getting old enough to not need so much at night or is it something to do with his jabs he had yesterday? Althogh he went about 5 hrs on monday nite too, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks

You are doing the right thing by breastfeeding. You are giving your baby the very best food he could have! :) My 3 have all been slow gainers for the first year or so, but the older two are strong, muscular, tall boys now. I figure this little guy will be, too, one day. It's too bad you don't have more support. :hugs: I think the fact that he slept so long last night will be the turning point. This age is when my 2nd 2 started sleeping longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->