Help please! Calling breast feeding mums.

angelstardust

mother of 3
Reaction score
While your baby was in SCBU/NICU (or in any hospital for whatever reason) and you were not an in-patient, but either a stay at hospital parent or a visiting parent, were you provided with meals?

An online friend is currently dealing with PALS to get a breastfeeding mum meals at hospital. Mum is staying in parent accommodation at the hospital a few hours away from home. Baby in is NICU and will be there a while.

Thank you!

Either a message here or a PM would be welcome, we need the names of any hospital who feed breastfeeding mums.

I lived in for over 3 weeks but provided all my own meals (I went home for dinner anyway though). There was a kitchen with a microwave, kettle and fridge to use and sofa's, tv.

The hospital has 3 restaurant/cafes.

i know wythenshawe hospital in manchester feed breastfeeding mums, when i was on the childrens ward with my son there was a baby in there and i heard them getting the meals ready one day and one of the nurses said "dont forget to get a meal for the breastfeeding mum" i asked if they provided free meals for mums who bf and was told they did as it was important for the baby that the mother kept up her food intake

hth

I wasn't fed and I was at Trafford General Hospital (now closed). On some days they provided me with a jug of water but mainly they encouraged me to leave the hospital to go and eat, as a break. I used to bring my lunch with me and either go home for dinner and come back, or eat when I got home at 9pmish.

I was fed whilst in hospital straight after birth for 7 days whilst recovering after c section and then when roomed in to begin to bring Freddy home, also again when i had to go back in to childrens ward once left NICU/SCU.

I was never fed whilst visiting Freddy in NICU and SCU as came from home I also wasnt fed the day I had to stay for 12hrs to get feeding established but they had a restaurant. I was at St Marys Hospital in Portsmouth that is now closed. But I am sure Queen Alexander Portsmouth does the same thats the new place.

I have never eaten so well in my life 4/5 course meal twice a day didnt wanna come home!!!!!

we were at Royal Alexandria Maternity Unit in Paisley (Scotland) meals were NOT provided, while we roomed in, I could go up to the main ward for meals but DH had to provide his own :wacko: so we didnt bother and lived off sandwhiches and cups of tea! Fridge and kettle provided but no facility to prepare hot food.

For BF motheres who are either on-site overnight or biggest portion of day to either establish BF or just to feed their child while they are in should def be provided with food or at very least a contribution to canteen etc xx

Thanks girls.

Just to clarify.

Baby was born at one hospital and transfered the next day to another one too far away to travel to and from (over 3 hours), baby needed to have an operation on her intestines, so she is staying at the hospital. There is no canteen and all they provide is a kettle and a microwave.

But then mum didn't get help expressing either till her PH made a big fuss as she 'wasn't their patient'.

Hi. I roomed sunday to tuesday this week before bringing Freddie home from SCBU and I went up to the labour ward for all my meals. I am breast feeding freddie btw. It was Gloucester Royal Hospital. I know Cheltenham General feeds bf mums too. hth xxxx

I was back in hospital with my daughter at 6 days old on HDU and I was provided with meals also there was a kitchen I could use to make hot drinks, toast and there was usually sandwiches in the fridge. This was Derriford hospital, plymouth.

I wasn't fed and I was at Trafford General Hospital (now closed). On some days they provided me with a jug of water but mainly they encouraged me to leave the hospital to go and eat, as a break. I used to bring my lunch with me and either go home for dinner and come back, or eat when I got home at 9pmish.

They should have provided you wiht everything you needed, I got everything at this hosp with all 3 of my premmies. They always fed me as long as you tell them you were bfing.

I take it I don't know you Bec but it's nice to know there is another local girl on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->