help please- figuring out how to wean

charlieann

Reaction score
hi, just trying to work out weaning/routines in advance of me returning to work. im returning when he's 6 months with the father taking over as stay at home dad, problem is he tends to need complex list of instructions (so im trying to devise a timetable- teaher in me!) im currently BF on demand, although LO has started to fall into his own routine. im hoping to wean onto formula first (combi feed him) then onto solids.
his current routine:

06.30 feed
07.00 nap for hour
09.30 feed
11.00 feed
12.00 nap for hour
13.45 feed
14.00 nap half hour
15.00 feed
18.00 feed
19.00 nap half hour
20.00 feed
21.00 sleep

im hoping to BF still for first and last few feeds each day and gradually drop the day ones for formula.
will he need feeding as often on formula or will he need to drop some in the day?
how much formula should we start him on (about 4 1/2-5 months)?
when we wean him onto solids will he drop more feeds or still need these also?
when we wean him onto solids im thinking starting with the 9 or 11 am feeds, how many formula feeds should we give him during the day (assuming i'll have returned from work for the 6pm feed)?

i know its different for each baby but just a rough idea would be great to help me figure out how were gonna do it. TIA.

I take it you're going to wean at 6m? I don't think it's a good idea to wait any longer than that. Maybe you could wean him onto formula a bit before 6m. He probably won't need feeding anything like as often when he's on formula, eg my LO is FF and takes 4 x 9oz bottles a day, plus a dreamfeed at 10.30pm. So only 5 milk feeds a day.

I'm so jealous of all that napping!!! Have you looked into baby led weaning? That way you'd just offer whatever you have (as long as it's healthy with a few exceptions) and let your baby tell you how much he needs. You'd still offer all the breast / formula feeds that you are doing (i.e. feed on demand) and your baby would drop feeds without you having to worry about it.

It's been found that when babies are allowed to feed themselves with as much as they choose that they ensure they get all the vitamins and minerals they need :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->