help - pronunciation!

so all of you who would pronounce gael as gay-el (i think most of you really), do you think he might get teased?

so all of you who would pronounce gael as gay-el (i think most of you really), do you think he might get teased?

I'm sorry but I think he will. Kids can be cruel and if theres anything to pick at, they will.

:hugs: i'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you, but I think its definitely worth considering.

I would say Gael as guy-el (like the Spanish) I don't think kids would laugh at that. But pron. Gail, yeah probably! Sorry!!!!
Caen I would probably pron kyne (b/c I'm welsh and cae is welsh for field and is said "ky"!) but of course it is a port town in France with I think a silent N at the end, but I don't think anyone would automatically think of that!
Manu - same as the others said (like the rugby player, tuilagi!)
Good luck with ur choice x

I would say Gael as guy-el (like the Spanish) I don't think kids would laugh at that. But pron. Gail, yeah probably! Sorry!!!!

we're both Spanish speakers and pronounce it Gah-el. It never occurred to me that could be pronounced differently (as it is also the French pronounciation) until my DH mentioned it the other day :dohh:
I love the name and had already started to bond with it, but I don't want my LO to be teased!

Caen I would probably pron kyne (b/c I'm welsh and cae is welsh for field and is said "ky"!) but of course it is a port town in France with I think a silent N at the end, but I don't think anyone would automatically think of that!

yep, that's how we'd say it, like the port...this one is not in the list anymore, so that's fine

Manu - same as the others said (like the rugby player, tuilagi!)

yep. same for us.
althought this is actually short for a name I loved (Manuel) but that I don't think I can use in the UK, after Faulty Towers.....

Good luck with ur choice x

thanks!
i really don't know what to do. it's starting to upset me. i don't want my LO to be teased of course, but at the same time, knowing that we might not stay here in the UK forever i don't want to base the decision just on that. :nope:

That's a tricky one kosh! Could you go with Gael and just have his uk friends and school mates call him by his middle name, but call him Gael at home &with family? I know that's probably very confusing for him but if you know you'll be leaving the uk maybe worth it? X

That's a tricky one kosh! Could you go with Gael and just have his uk friends and school mates call him by his middle name, but call him Gael at home &with family? I know that's probably very confusing for him but if you know you'll be leaving the uk maybe worth it? X

thanks for the suggestion but he won't have middle name...!
we probably stay here until he's about 3, so maybe it won't be a problem?

No I don't think it would be a problem if he doesn't go to school in the uk. And you can correct people you meet that say it wrong! ;) x

No I don't think it would be a problem if he doesn't go to school in the uk. And you can correct people you meet that say it wrong! ;) x

:thumbup:
thanks for your comments!
all this name thing is stressing me out sooo much!

could you please tell me how you'd pronounce these boys names (and could you also say where you're from, ie UK, USA, etc)
(my DH and I live in the UK but are not from here, so we're worried we might get it wrong...)

gael
caen
manu

thanks!
:flower:

Guy-elle
Kay-Un
Man-ew

new york, usa!
i have an accent tho so im sure ppl say them differently! lol

I'm from Ireland and Gaelic is a word here for the Irish/Celtic language. It's pronounced as gay lick :lol: so I'd pronounce Gael as Gay-el.

Just looked it up and this is what I found
Gael \gael\ as a boy's name (also used as girl's name Gael), is of English origin, and the meaning of Gael is "speaker of Gaelic". Refers to one of the Celtic peoples of Scotland or Ireland. Sounds similar to Gail, which is traditionally female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->