HELP! TTC #2, Still BF #1

mrsjk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I currently have a 12 month old lo who still breastfeeds (morning, afternoon and evening). She does not breastfeed at all throughout the night (7pm-7am). We want to start TTC #2 but my period hasn't returned!!

I thought it was back last month, but it wasn't. Ovulation tests have been coming back negative.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get my cycle working in my favor again? Anyone else been through this??

My doc just tells me I need to stop bf completely, but she isn't really feeding for nutrition, its more for comfort and cuddles.

Hi there,

This was me writing messages like this when my daughter was younger. I'm afraid that there isn't really anything you can do other than go longer between feeds, but this might damage your supply and bring your breastfeeding journey to an end before either of you are ready.

It can really vary from woman to woman when their periods return after/during breastfeeding. Some get it super early and others have to completely stop.

I had a mixed experience. When I was breastfeeding my son I had to completely stop at 13 months for my periods to return a month later at 14 months. Then with my daughter they returned at 8 months even though I was still breastfeeding regularly. They weren't regular cycles though and were super long. I stopped feeding her at 13 months too and it's only now I'm starting to ovulate earlier again.

Good luck! I know how amazingly frustrating it is waiting for your body to kick start back into fertility. I was taking OPKs for months before my periods returned. We wanted a really small age gap between our daughter and our last baby, but my periods taking a while to return and the longer time it's taking to conceive this time has ensured we're now looking at a two-year age gap at the least :(

Hope your periods return soon.

Thanks for your reply! I am working on trying to wean her off breastfeeding but I'm being very gentle about it, maybe that's why it's not working.

How did you eventually wean yours?

I went back to work, which cut down day time feeds when she was 10 months. I still expressed for a couple of months, but then at 12 months I stopped that. I still fed her before sleep and during the night till 13 months, but she was getting very demanding and waking all the time to feed, so I gradually started cutting back by rocking her instead. It didn't take long for her to realise she wasn't going to get milk and then she just started sleeping through. It was tough, but I needed my body back at that point I think. I love breastfeeding, but when they hit 1 and get so strong and fussy, I find it is more stressful than beneficial to either of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->