HELP! Want to swap to cloth but its like speaking another language..

Tegans Mama

home edding mum of 2
Reaction score
Ok.. quick outline.
Tegan is 23 months old, weighs 22lbs and is in 12-18 months clothes (if that matters). She's doubly incontinent so we use 8-10+ disposables a day and its costing us a fortune.
I need some advice :lol: We want all in ones that are easy-ish to use, look nice :lol: and aren't too bulky.
Hope you can help.. Thankyou in advance :flower:

I can't fault WeeNotions. They are gorgeous nappies, and I love both my onesize (BTP) and side-snap (sized) nappies. I've also found them to not be too bulky, though I'm not using the WN's own inserts in mine, so no idea how bulky the ones WN make are :)

Itti Bittis are cute and not bulky, and come as either all-in-one (where everything is attached), or snap-in-one, where you have the waterproof + minkee outer bit, and the inserts popper in. It means you can change just the inserts if the outer isn't wet/soiled. They are sized nappies. People seem to like either one or the other between the AIO or SIO, it seems to be down to the baby!

Those are the ones off the top of my head... I'm sure someone who has been around cloth for longer than me can suggest some more though :)

I love our Bum Genius Flips, with an organic insert for heavy wetters (although the staydry are fab too). Very slim fitting and easy to use.

I can't fault WeeNotions. They are gorgeous nappies, and I love both my onesize (BTP) and side-snap (sized) nappies. I've also found them to not be too bulky, though I'm not using the WN's own inserts in mine, so no idea how bulky the ones WN make are :)

Itti Bittis are cute and not bulky, and come as either all-in-one (where everything is attached), or snap-in-one, where you have the waterproof + minkee outer bit, and the inserts popper in. It means you can change just the inserts if the outer isn't wet/soiled. They are sized nappies. People seem to like either one or the other between the AIO or SIO, it seems to be down to the baby!

Those are the ones off the top of my head... I'm sure someone who has been around cloth for longer than me can suggest some more though :)

I second these 2 - I absolutely LOVE my itti bittis and WN - both All in 2.
The Itti is trim all round, the WN is not as narrow between the legs but it isn't at all bulky like a lot of other nappies.
They both do a fantastic job and look gorgeous too!

I can't comment on all in ones (aios) as I only use pocket nappies. When I first started out, Ella was 13 mths old, so we were a late starter as well. I originally thought that we would go with aios for convinence but found that I didn't like them and pockets were right for us. If I were you, I would try out one of each kind before you splash out and buy lots that you might end up not liking. There is a swap n sell section that you can use to ask if you can borrow some from the ladies on here. The most popular kinds are:
Pockets - you need to stuff the inserts (the absorbant bits) into a pocket in the back or front of the nappy then you are ready to pop it on like a disposable. The pros with these is that you can customise the absorbancy by putting in more inserts if you have a heavy wetter or for long car trips etc. They require that little bit more work than aios.
All in Ones (aios) - just pop on like a disposable. They generally take awhile to dry as you can't separate the absorbant insert as it's all just sewn in together.
All in Twos (ai2s) or Snap in Ones (sio) - A combination of an aio and a pocket really! The inserts are snapped in place with poppers and then pop on baby like a disposable. Because you can seperate the inserts from the nappy they dry quicker than the aios.
Hope this helps you - cloth is really fun once you get into it!
My favourites are issy bears, haute pockets and happy heinys. All are pocket type nappies and come in beautiful prints. :flower:

Theres a sticky at the top of this section (and in my siggy) that will give you the heads up.
theres also a review thread and places to buy as well.

Any more q's though fire away! :)

there's been some great advice given above so won't reapeat but just wanted to say good luck if you decie to venture! It's really not so bad once you get into it, i found it really hard at first but as soon as i saw a nappy it all kind of fell into place. :flower:

My council does trial packs of nappies with each different type that you can try for 2 weeks. Maybe your council has the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->