Help! What am I doing wrong??????

TigerLady

CaveTiger Clan Mama
Reaction score
Everyone says how sposies stink so bad and cds don't. I am having the opposite problem. My cds smell like ammonia/pee really bad as soon as he pees once in them! :growlmad: I picked him up today and sat down on a chair and thought I sat in cat pee it smelled so bad. But then I realized it came from him!! :shock: He wasn't that wet, so it wasn't like it was oversoaked.

They don't smell before I put him in them... just after he pees even the littlest bit.

What am I doing wrong? I can't stand the smell. :nope: I have to figure it out because I really want cding to work for us! I like it better in every way but this one.

grrrrr..... :grr:

What diapers are they that stink? It can be build up. What detergent are you using and what's your wash routine? You might need to strip your diapers to get the stink out

They are the ones I got from diaperswappers, so they are preloved. I wash them on a long, hot cycle, but I think it has a cold rinse (I don't have a hot hot option). I use just a tablespoon or two of Purex liquid. They I put them on an extra rinse, so they are rinsed twice. I usually put them on a larger water setting than they would really warrant. (Like they are a small load but I do medium load setting). Then they get dried in the dryer.

How do I strip them?

Let me find a link that will tell you how to exactly. If they are preloved that's probably what it is, just some build up. Especially if it's microfiber

Here you go this gives a few ways to do it

https://www.litegreenliving.com/stripping-cloth-diapers

oh good!!!!!! thank you!! i was beginning to despair. My NBs don't do it... just the preloved BGs... the NBs were never used. So it would make sense that it is a build up!

Oh yeah BGs are prone to stinkies too, I've heard so many have had that problem, mine did I eventually stopped using them :( But I haven't had that with my organic aio..yet. I put Hayden in cloth tonight, I think we are gonna go back to them until we move, I think I'm gonna strip them all, I've actually never done it to mine

Ooh glad I found this...mine are having the same problem. Wasn't sure what to do. Will throw them all in tomorrow and wash then strip them!!
Thanks!

Yah, the stripping will help - mine are starting to get smelly too, so it's a nice reminder ;)

A

OMG! I had to run them on the hot wash cycle like 6 times to get them stripped!! :shock: I hope I got them good enough. They are drying now, so will hopefully try them out today. :happydance:

Fingers crossed its worked hun - BG are prone to some stinkiness every so often x

All microfibre inserts will do this from time to time. It's nothing specific to the BG brand, I've only had to strip mine once :thumbup:

I think it helped some! But they still aren't perfect. :growlmad:

But LOADS better. So, it is progress! :thumbup:

Does anyone know, is there a site or something that explains all the different fabrics used and have pics of them? I can't seem to figure out what's what with everything -- fleece vs micro vs minke vs everything else. :wacko:

I'm having the same stinky problem! What's worst, is the microfiber isn't absorbing at all anymore. I have an energy efficient frontloader and have been eyeballing the detergent and I think it's been waaaay too much. I've already tried stripping by washing in hot/cold, then warm/warm, then hot/cold again without any detergent - to no avail. I may have to try scrubbing with Dawn first, then turning up the hot water heater and wash all of my 20 diapers 6 or 7 times. We get billed by how much water we use.. so this clothe diaper business is turning out to be a whole lot more expensive than just disposables. What a bummer. I thought I was being economical by reusing. argh.

I may get beat up for saying this... but I really don't think it is all THAT much more economical... especially when you run into problems like that. Problems like that are also hard on the environment as it uses so much water and energy to fix. :dohh: Just hard on the environment in different ways. We had to turn our hot water heater up and it runs off natural gas, so is using more of that. And we are in a drought, so using more water isn't always a good thing. :shrug:

That is why I think CDing is a personal choice more than an ethical one. Don't hate me!!! :blush: That's just MHO.

I got to where I would measure out my detergent with a teaspoon -- only one or two per load. That is about 10 diapers on full water. It is working better for me so far!

I completely agree TL, both have good and bad things about them for the enviroment

Have you tried a soak in oxyclean and vinegar with a bit of water? apparently it smokes up when you mix them haha but it's supposed to be like magic

It's supposed to make them really white, I think I'm going to try it. I'm scared to do it to my GMs, apparently it's fine but I'm terrified to mess them up haha

I have one BG that needs sunning to whiten a bit. No sun here until at least May! :dohh: So, this might be a good option!

Maybe try it on just one first... your least favorite! hehe!

Yeah I could do that, I have one that was my first one, it's her older style one and it's not a print so I would be ok if it got messed up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->