help with a 4 week old - question?

feisty_filly

Reaction score
hi every one and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
so i have a 4 week old little boy. he is on sma infant gold system and he is taking 6 oz every 4 hours.
im just wondering if i should put him up to 7oz as when hes finished a feed he still seems hungry. he is draning the bottles!. he still sleeps well it just takes about half an hour after a feed for him to drift off.
im only asking as he seems to be drinking alot already (more than it says he should on the tin) and im very new to all this lol.

any help is much apprechiated :)
happy holidays!

wow i thought ella was drinking a lot at 5oz!! yea if he's draining his bottles then they say put the oz up! even if it seems a lot compared to what's on the tin, every baby's different, some will drink more and others will drink less xx

Hi, we were just wondering the same about our little man. He is just over 4 weeks old and we have just upped his bottles to 180ml (about 6oz) from 150ml. We are also using SMA gold infant formula, and when he finishes the bottle he keeps 'beaking' and looking for more... sometimes sucking a finger or a dummy will do and sometimes we start another bottle (which is why we've now upped to 180ml).

We feed every 3 or 4 hours - I feel like its a lot but we're going with the demand feeding, we are worried though in case we're over feeding - so I'm looking forward to hearing the replies on here and also seeing how you get on :)

Maybe we've just got big greedy boys!! :rofl:

its impossible to overfeed hun, they just sick it up!!

You can't overfeed. My LO is a hungry boy and takes 7oz every 3 hours atm but I've noticed his feeding has calmed down recently. At 5 weeks he was on 6oz and at 6 weeks to 7oz but he's stopped eating quite so ravenoulsy and I can now keep up with him lol. He's 9 weeks tomorrow.

My advice, feed what they ask for and they will find their level (Earl's on SMA too!)

Jax is on sma yellow too, he's just gone to 5oz per feed but there is no routine as to hoe often though, I guess during day its every 3-4 hrs if were home, if hes in pram he can go longer all tucked up cosy. Night times are a pain in the ass though, he wakes every 2 hrs!
He'll last feed at midnight ish, waked at 2 ill have to rock him back to sleep or put him in with me, he sleeps til 4am then wants 5oz, he'll sleep til 6. ish then ill have to rock him asleep again , then wake at 8 for another 5oz....

last night was a pain though he woke every hour, took 1 oz every 2/3 hrs .

I'd put it up an oz too.
If AJ was taking 7oz i'd always make 8oz. So if he wanted more it was there. When he started taking 'more' regularly i'd up it an oz again.

Hey, we're using SMA gold too and Laura is on 5.5oz but this feed just gone that wasn't enough for her and so I had to break open a carton where she took another 1.5oz.

Just give him what he asks for I guess, if he can be rocked to sleep and isn't upset that he hasn't had enough then it's your decision as to whether to give more or just let him sleep. Some babies do become reliant on the sucking action as a comfort to sleep, you can usually tell the difference though.

I try not to overfeed my baby. I just stick to the total number of scoops per day (not the quantity per fed). it's working perfectly for me.. I give him more bottles but less quantity per bottle. He's doing great & gaining weight. My advise, don't over feed ur baby..

y0ou cant overfeed you baby. if you do, they sick it up. what it says on the tin is just a guideline - some will have more, some less

according to my lo formula (cow & gate comfort) she should be having 6 x 3-4oz bottles per day! she's currently having 8 x 5oz bottles - every 2.5 hours day and night with the occasional 3-4 hour block.

I haven't had her weighed since she was 3 days old, but i can see and feel she has put lots on, she has grown out of size 1 nappies, is filling up size 0-3 clothes and has an enormous double chin! lol. am seeing mw tomorrow will check if this is all ok. btw she weighed 9lb at birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"