• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help with pumping

LaceFace88

Reaction score
I had my little girl on june 16th and have been trying to get a supply stored incase of emergancies and i have to be away from baby . when i pump i only get about 1/2 an ounce to almost two oz but only from one breast. For some reason my right breast doesnt express more than a few drops. I have noticed my daughter does favor the left side so i have been trying to get her to nurse more from the left. But im a little worried im not making enough milk. Is it normal to only express that much milk. Does that mean all she gets is the half oz to two ounces? Any suggestions would help alot thank you in advance.

Babies are much more effective at getting milk out than a breast pump is so she is getting more than that.
Some women just aren't able to pump as much as others. But its not necessarily a sign of your supply. I pump a similar amount to you but I do have a low supply.
You need to watch diaper output and check that your baby is gaining weight. As long as she is peeing/pooping a lot and gaining then your supply is fine. I would try encourage her to nurse more on the right side to see if you can build the supply up there.

I agree with all that pp said including trying to get her to nurse more from the right. Even if she doesn't like it very much just try and start her off on that side to try and bump production up then switch to the other side.
My lc said that most women only get about an ounce to 2 when they pump (can't remember if she said from each side or from both together though) so don't worry too much.

It is typical for a mother who is breastfeeding full-time to be able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Mothers who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Hope this help.

I usually pump up to 70ml (sorry not sure on Oz) but I didn't start til 5 weeks. It takes time for your body to work out how much is needed so I wouldn't worry.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your baby is still so young, her stomach is tiny! And she's still working with your body to regulate your milk production, so pumping (which is telling your body to make more milk than it was) is a bigger strain on your body. It'll balance out in a few weeks :)

One thing I used to do in the early days was to nurse my baby on one side and pump on the other. As a PP mentioned, your baby is much more efficient than the pump, so sometimes that helps people pump more.

I don't respond well to the pump, have tried a manual and an electric and I only get about 1 oz from the side I didn't feed on last and next to nothing from the one baby from last. But he has put on over 3lbs since he was born and has lots of wet and dirty nappies so he's definitely getting enough and when he feeds from one side I always leak a lot from the other side I just can't seem to pump it and pumping while he's feeding is really awkward because he's long and just kicks the pump.

Have you tried breast shells? They catch any leaks which you can add to top it up.

Does that mean all she gets is the half oz to two ounces? Any suggestions would help alot thank you in advance.

Yes and No

My answer may sound confusing but let me unpack it.

No:the pumped amount doesn't definately indicate what LO gets because pumps are less efficient than babies and some people don't respond to a pump and just don't let down in the same way

Yes:it may be that you pump a similar amount to what LO takes in a feed but if so, what would make you think that it's not enough? Breastfeeding is a system evolved to make what your baby needs. Unless you have symptoms that suggest LOs latch is ineffective at removing milk, then trust that your body is making what she needs. Some research suggests that babies 3months and older only take around 3oz per feed and they have bigger stomachs than your LO. However each breast is different and produces a different amount. If yours produce a bit less per feed than the next woman, then your baby will just feed that bit more frequently. Baby and breast work together to form a system of supply and demand tailored to the individual baby and breast involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->