Help With Smoking!!!

mommy2raven

Mom to 2 wonderful girls
Reaction score
Ok so here goes.....
The minute I found out I was pregnant I gave up smoking and it was ok at first but now I'm absolutely dying!!! Seriously havent had one in ages n i didn't have cravings at first but there setting in big time now any advice from other quitters??? All advice appreciated...
Love Bailey xoxoxoxoxoxox

Hi Bailey!

I'm a smoker and did quit before TTC and stayed quit for 6 months into TTC (9 months all up) but because of male factor infertility it was all too much and been smoking again for 9 months. I'm going to quit when we get dates for starting assisted conception.

I don't know what you can and can't do since you're pregnant. Your doctor might allow some sort of nicotene replacement but you've come this far so I reckon you can do it without it!

What used to help me was looking at photos on the net of what smokers lungs, hearts etc look like, reading up on what smoking does to unborn babies, the risks, what smoking does to YOU and the changes made after a few weeks/months/years to your body from not smoking.

Then there are things such as exercise or eating lollies etc to kick the cravings.

Good luck!

Hiya

I smoked for 10 years (I know that sounds horrendous given my age) and the longest I stopped for was 2 years inbetween. I met my ex, he smoked and practically force fed me them, and I started again. Ive tried quitting and cutting down and everything but nothing really worked until I got pregnant.

I havent had one now for about 12 weeks, which was the day I found out I was pregnant. The cravings are horrendous and its really upsetting and stressful but please just keep at it because it does get easier. Ive found that when I go out now to a pub or something I take a lolly with me to use because its the same sort of 'hand to mouth' thing going on if that makes sense. Maybe also write a list of reasons why you havent had one and stick it on your bathroom mirror or on the fridge door or soemthing to keep you inspired? The thing that keeps me going (as stupid as it sunds) is that if I think about having one I can just see the baby surrounded in a big cloud of smoke and chocking and it bothers me so much that it actually works.

It is really hard work, and you're doing so well. It does get a lot easier.

xxx

i have been smoking since i was 14 ( now 18 ) i know its not long but i cant stop my hubby has been smoking since he was 16 (now 30) we have tried a few times but no luck money is tight at the mo as i am looking for a new job so cant afford patches or stuff but cant do it with will power alone. anyone got any ideas?

xxx

Well I dont have first hand experience of smoking or quiting but I have seen my father quit smoking. He was (I wont call him a chain smoker but still he smoked a lot) smoking every time he was tensed or happy or I don't know most of the time. I and my mom where always after him to leave it. But when he got sick it was instant. he left him self and haven't smoked for 21 months straight now.
(touch wood) I think to quit doing something you have been doing for long and have a habit for it your the only one who can do something about it. It depends on you how much you care for yourself.
Well :hugs: from me to you n your baby.

When I was trying to stop I tried everything gum, patches, lozenges... but the only thing that really worked was the inhaler, but even then I didnt stop completely. I just cut down to one of two (or 10 if I was drinking!) every now and then.

Cold turkey is hard but IMO its the only way to do it. Cutting down is great if you cant manage to just stop, so maybe have a go at going from 20 to 15 to 10 or whatever a day until you can just stop?

I know its loads easier said then done... I havent had one since October and Im still struggling, but just remember that you have a reason to stop.

Good luck with it, feel free to drop me a line if you need any support.

xxx

good luck huni i have neversmoke so have no idea what a craving is like just rememeber u will have a bundle of joy in ur hands

quit, its easy if you suck on a lolly and locks sexy too. lol

Hi there everyone. I've been reading all this with great interest as i gave up on the 17th october and think i was about 8 weeks preg at the time.I had smoked constantly since i was 13 and previously failed 3 attempts.I was smoking between 20-30 a day :dohh: Thats a lot of money too!

All the advice i can give you is............GET DOWN TO THE NHS STOP SMOKING CLINICS!!!
THEY ARE GREAT!! Honest.:happydance:

Go to your surgerys and ask about them, you get all replacement therapy totally FREE/even non pregnant women.

I attended once a week for 10 weeks and the lady who ran mine was really supportive and researched the use of patches etc while pregnant and found that the use of patches,losenges and inhalers etc far outweigh the risk of smoking cigarettes as your body is only getting the nicotine.She also explained how our stupid human minds work and that helped with the willpower.

I started out on the patches,lozenges and inhaler at the same time!!! and it was fine for baby!! i was stunned.
I soon gave up the lozenges because it made my morning sickness worse but carried on the patches and inhaler.

I am now totally nicotine free and although i get my moments still where i could easily go back to it i also get times when the whole smell of it repulses me so much that im now one of those annoying non smokers who cough when someone lights up near me.

Im not saying it will work for everyone but just think if you go to the surgery this week in 10 weeks you will be free from it and baby and you will both be getting all the health benefits within the first week of giving up.
Its never too late in pregnancy to do it :baby:

Goodluck all xxxx

Grand still haven't had one and the cravings are being replaced by any time I have a craving I go on the internet, do some housework, watch tv or just something to take my mind off it!!!

Though have been eating more and having endless cups of tea!!! So not all the extra weight is baby related!!!:blush:

But it is going well thanks 4 asking hunni xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

sorry noadvice but just wanted to say to everyone that has stopped/cut down,you are doing great!!!!!

i'm feeling really guilty :cry: i found out last week that i was pregnant and i was smoking +++ and drinking +++ I've cut out the drink NP but cigarettes are just sooooo hard.... i've cut down to 4 a day now smoking half a ciggie each time but the more im stressing about it the more i need a cigarette!!!:cry: my will power has never been brilliant at the best of times (hence the bump... :wacko: )

You can't blame yourself for things you did before you found out you were pregnant. I dread to think how much I drank/smoked before i found out but theres nothing you can do. At least you've cut down, thats the main thing.

Keep it up, you're doing really well :)

xxx

Glad you're doing so well hon! I just quit smoking a week and 2 days ago lol. I haven't touched a ciggy and don't plan on it, (started at 12 and I'm 24 now) I know terrible :dohh:.

I find chewing gum and holding a pen or something in my hand helps!

Salmynka, your doing great. Keep cutting back and eventually you might take the plunge to finally stop. I went down from a half pack to 2-4 smokes a day when I found out I was pregnant and now have completely stopped. You have to want to quit I noticed. I've tried many times but always had that panicking feeling if you know what I mean? like I would feel totally scared of not being able to have another ciggy. But this time around I was just fed up with it, hated that my clothes stank, my teeth are getting yellow, not to mention I actually wanna be around to see my grandkids that finally got me to quit.

Goodluck to both of you :hugs: and me lol, I hope we all quit and never touch a smoke again.

Well done Jenny! (I started at 11, had my first one at 9! Im terrible too)

Ive just passed my 3 month mark without one. Its been hard but its getting easier all the time!

xxx

Well done Jenny! (I started at 11, had my first one at 9! Im terrible too)

Ive just passed my 3 month mark without one. Its been hard but its getting easier all the time!

xxx

Thanks hon! Congrats on passing 3 months! Thats just awesome. I can't wait til I reach that point. Keep it up :thumbup:

Thanks :) The only thing Im worried about is starting again when the baby is born. I know if I wasn't pregnant now it would be pretty easy to start again, so Im hoping it gets better the rest of the time Im pregnant.

Are you using any NRT? Or just cold turkey?

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->