help with spelling a Russian name in English

qpaulina42

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some input from English speakers. I am thinking of using Aндрей for a boy name. Possible spellings in English are: Andrej, Andrey or Andrei, maybe could go with Andre even but I feel like it needs that bit at the end. It's pronounced like the "y" in "yolk". What do you think?

How do you want it to sound phonetically? AN-DRAY?
If so I would say the most popular spelling in English is Andre. I would say most people wouldn't get Andrej, Andrey I have never seen before and I think people would pronounce AN-DREE. You might get away with Andrei but most common spelling is Andre. Cute name! X

I second Andre, I pronounce it with a y sound at the end and have heard most do the same. Though I think Andrei is cute ;)

Definitely no J, dated a Polish guy named Andrzej- closest to how I could say his name was Ahn-jay- most people read it straight out using the J as in Japan at the end of the name.

I do want it pronounced like Andre (so UNdray) but I feel a little weird leaving out a whole letter. Also it seems to look more French then, no? Thank you ladies for your input!

found a pronunciation link in English:
https://inogolo.com/query.php?qstr=Andrei&search=Search+Names

and in Russian here (3rd version, the one by the Russian guy, not the Bulgarian or Spanish)
https://www.forvo.com/word/андрей/

I have a friend named Andrej and he goes by Andrew- not sure if that's to make it easier or really how his parents wanted it to be pronounced. All his friends call him "Dredge" because it looks like it might sound that way!

We have a little boy at playgroup who is Romanian (i think) and he is Andrei pronounced an-DRay

I have a friend named Andrej and he goes by Andrew- not sure if that's to make it easier or really how his parents wanted it to be pronounced. All his friends call him "Dredge" because it looks like it might sound that way!

i was going to say it looks like it says dredge

I hear you on the pronunciations- I pronounce in Spanish (for the most part) when it is a name foreign to me. It definitely is more beautiful in Russian! I am having a similar problem with my choices in names, particularly for our girl name Aurora. It's so much more beautiful in Spanish or Italian than in English! But then I don't know why I'm worried already, no where near pregnant yet ha ha! Best of luck to you!

Andre would make me think on dray not un dray, but once it is what it is ppl,will get it.

Andrey is a no go in my book. Everyone will pretty much get Andre :) cute too!!

I'm favoring Andrei right this second. What do we all think of that version?

The i on the end confuses me... I have see Andre more often and would pronounce that correctly... But if i have a girl i want to name her Kaila since we live in hawaii now pronounced (Kii-la) bt i know everyone on the mainland will pronounce it Kayla... But it doesnt matter to me, other than the first day of class with a new teacher everyone will know her name.... My point being is do what feels right to you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->