Help with toys for a 5 year old girl who is always bored!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatStorey

Mum to Chloe and Tom :)
Reaction score
My DD is driving me insane........she is always bored no matter what I suggest! So now I've the oportunity to get some new toys I want to make sure they are the kind of thing she will enjoy and keep her occupied.

She is currently stopping in her room after Ive listed all the things she can play with a a she says they are all rubbish :shrug:

She has a small amount of Playmobil, tons of barbies, puzzles, lots of craft bits like Hamma beads, gelati and playdoh.

What do your little ones play with? What should I get her for Xmas?

I would love to get her maybe a dolls house but we have absolutely no where to put it. Her room is tiny and there isn't space in the living room.
I guess we could find room in the bedroom but I'm so worried about DS trashing it (he's a nightmare and they are soon to be sharing). That's also partly why she won't get her Playmobil out as Tom will just grab at it all.

I don't want to waste all my Xmas money on rubbish so really need to get something worthwhile. Please help!!

Thanks lovelies xxxx

Also, forgot to add! Something she can do on her own as If I sit and play with her Tom will cry at me and scream until I sit down with him. During his naps is fine but otherwise it's really difficult :cry:

My daughter is 5 and loves playmobil and barbies.

She also has a box full of figures which are the best buy ever. I have loads in there thats I picked up over time like Frozen figures, marvel super heros, peter pan, disney princesses etc. She gets them out all the time and keeps her entertained for ages.

Shes having a big dolls house for christmas one that fits the barbies in.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidkraft-6...F8&qid=1417851543&sr=8-2&keywords=dolls+house

She loves colouring too so got her an amazing desk tidy from Hamleys
https://www.hamleys.com/hamleys-150-piece-desk-tidy.ir

Plus I got this to go with it
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Bored...qid=1417851786&sr=8-2&keywords=boredom+buster

I also got her this game which is supposed to be good. Is 2+ players but maybe your LO can help?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AYQ21BQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Hope that helps a little

Lego? Although similar sort of problem with younger brothers!
Tablet?
Arts and craft stuff - play doh sets, harms beads

Tbh though my DD1 has been like this for a couple of years, usually she ends up using her imagination and playing random made up games

Disney themed etch a sketch, some frozen figures/ playset, a craft set such as making badges or bracelets, colouring books and nice pencils x

If she claims she gets bored, then I don't reckon new toys will help. (Personally I would take every single toy she owns and hide them in the garage/loft/shed for a week. Then she'll be bored! :haha:)

Seriously though, I find the best things for keeping my son occupied for longer than his toys tends to be arts/crafts stuff like play doh, fuzzy felts, colouring etc

Just noticed.... We have the same age gap between our dc :).... My 5 yr old gets so annoyed with my 1yr old, esp when he wants to play with playmobil or lego. I have found that having a half hr slot with eldset were he can have the fiddly/small toys out and I will either play with him or occupy youngest so she doesn't get in his way :)

Thanks all!!

I've got rid of a lot of toys recently as they were quite babyish so to be fair she doesn't have that much stuff. We also live in a tiny house so space is a real issue. She does need some new bits, I'm just paranoid on wasting my money on things that will not help with the bordem!

I have just been looking at dolls houses that could go on a desk (away from Tom!). My mums getting her some playmobil for Xmas so thinking maybe the playmobil dolls house. That might get her imagination going perhaps.

When Tom naps I always do a craft or puzzle with DD. Only prob is he doesn't nap long and my husband works evenings and weekends so I'm on my own.

xxxx

Tell her only boring people get bored :haha:

A cheap android tablet or one of the kids tablets (innotab etc) could be a winner, you can download different games, books, learning apps, videos, music (I'd prefer android for this reason, lots are free). It takes up no space and is safe to use around the baby.

You can get portable playmobil sets including a dollhouse, which can be played with (up on the dining table out of LO's reach) and then fold away into their own carry cases so no bits lying around. Think it's called the 'take along' range.

Is she into girly stuff at all? Thinking along the lines of one of those doll head things that you do the hair/make up on?

/\ /\ Yeah, we have a portable playmobil castle. It's fab and much better/easier to play with as it doesn't fall apart all the time :haha:

Maybe a kids tablet.. That's what I've done for my son this year

Musical instrument? My lo barley plays with toys at home, but is always playing his piano and drum set. Mind you, he is almost 3, but maybe ask her if shed like to have an instrument

Amelia has the wooden dolls house from asda that is lovely, she has a basic furniture set at the moment and we are adding nicer sets over time.
She loves lego, puzzles and anything to do with drawing. We have a similar issue as Alma is 15 months and tries to attack everything she tries to play with.. The dining table is our saviour for playtime with anything small messy.

Xx

Musical instrument? My lo barley plays with toys at home, but is always playing his piano and drum set. Mind you, he is almost 3, but maybe ask her if shed like to have an instrument

Good idea! My son is getting a Ukulele for xmas :)

I have got Emma a little playmobil house this year, it has a handle, comes with loads of bits and doesn't take up too much room. She loves playmobil at the moment.

She also got the playmobil camper an for her birthday today, and loves it! Sadly so dies her brother, they've been rowing over it all day :-/

She has a Leappad but never really touches it :(

I finally got her to write out a list yesterday for the first time ever (whenever I ask she has always said she just wants suprises :dohh:

She put a few bits I had already got her such as that hair styling barbie (another one to add to the million she already has!) a notebook, a coloring book, a pillow that lights up and you can draw on it (what the hell, I think Santa may fail on that one :wacko:) and a dolls house!

So I'm now really looking hard at the Playmobil Dolls House. It looks good as it can be up on a desk away from Tom but its also pretty robust. And its something that can be used by Tom when he's older and past down so that's a big tick from me.

Fingers crossed that will keep her entertained in 2015 :)

xxx

My daughter mostly does arts and crafts stuff. :dohh: literally 99% of the time that's what she's doing!

Space is an issue or I'd suggest a small play kitchen. Something both kids could play with as they are usually robust enough to withstand younger kids as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"