Help

Doodlebug88

Reaction score
So I've made it to 2 weeks despite having one very cracked sore nipple. I thought I had turned a corner and nipple was healing but just tried to feed lo and it's was so painful and when he pulled off the whole scab has ripped off and now looks worse than before. I fed him off my other breast and hand expressed what I could from the sore one as couldn't face the pump right now.

Now don't know what to do for next feed. I have some formula here from when I was struggling before so could give that and then offer breast to finish as worried he won't get enough from feeding from one breast alone. I plan to keep expressing from sore nipple until it's healed that I can latch him on again. Sorry for rambling on just in despair again and don't want to stop breast feeding. Any help to get through this would be great

I feel for you! Cracked nipples are so painful. Have you tried a nipple shield? That way your nipple can be protected while it heals.

Tried shields but lo hated them and I didn't find they helped with pain either.

Have you been using Lansinoh or another ointment? I used Lansinoh religiously, but especially before a feed it would soften it up enough to prevent further cracking. And then lots of air time. It was so painful for the first couple weeks, like every time lo latched I would have to distract myself and was on the verge of tears, but started progressively getting better :)

I really hope it starts getting better soon for you! Have you tried the pump? That wasn't as painful for me, maybe you can try that for a few days?

Polysporin healed my cracks pretty quickly! I know it won't help for the next feed, but I felt better the day after I started using it. Plus my LC said it's safe so I didn't need to rub it off before feeds (I still tried to but sometimes at 4 in the morning I didn't have the wherewithal).

I've been using lansinoh and also lots of air drying too. Didn't try it before a feed though so that might be worth a shot. I expressed with my pump and got nearly 3oz so just going to try that for a few days and hope he takes the bottle ok

Can you try a different position to feed from the sore breast? We have poor positioning on the right side and I get a cracked nipple really quickly using the tradiitonal hold so I have to rugby hold to feed on this side now as it's more comfortable. Anyway, when the nip orginally cracked I kept changing position as once DD was lacthed on the pain wasn't so bad as her tongue was lashing a new part of the nipple and not the cracked bit. Try rugby hold and lying down on your side as alternatives to give your nipple a break but maintain supply.

I went through the same thing at two weeks. my lo couldn't use a nipple shield. so I ribsed the bleeding nipple in contact lense solution (could use boiled salted water), let it air dry and then fed off and gritted my teeth so hard I thought my jaw would break. its agony but if you keep feeding off it in about 48 hours the pain completely goes....it's like the nipple adjusts and toughens up. also try another hold (switch to rugby ball or cradle hold). keep going, it gets better. dont resort to formula because it will cause you more problems in the future....you need to establish a supply and toughen your nips right now.

Thanks for the advice. It's been like this for about a week now and it is healing but was excruciating last night that the thought of lo feeding off that nipple is too much. I am feeding him from the none sore side and pumping from the cracked side and giving that to him from a bottle so still on bm. It's going ok so far and hoping to only need to do for a few days

Lansinoh pre-feed was a must for me. Made a really big difference.

So sorry you're struggling. It gets easier and is all worth it. I promise. Xxxxxx

Thank you for the tips ladies. I pumped yesterday and some of today and as nipple looked better I plucked up the courage to try him on the nipple again this evening and it was ok. I put lansinoh on first to soften it up and attempted the rugby hold so thank you. If it wasn't for you lovely ladies on here I would have given up already but still going at day 16 and feeling proud. I am determined to get my 1 month milestone blinkie but long term I'd like to do 6 months

Just giving my support! Keep going, you're doing great! I know everyone says it, but it really DOES get easier. It doesn't seem like it now, but soon enough you're going to be feeding lo one day and think, "Wow, it doesn't hurt at all anymore." Just like that, these painful days are going to be in the past and breastfeeding is going to be sooooo easy and pain free.

Keep going, Mama!

Good job Doodlebug! I envy the ladies that have no problems in the early days, I think they are more the exception than the rule. Take every obstacle one by one and you will make whatever goals you wish :)

You're doing amazing to keep going, wow be proud! :hugs:

I have been very lucky with feeding so I hardly feel like I should give advice; but have you tried putting a big glob of lansinoh onto a breast pad and leaving that on your nipple in between feeds? It keeps it wet with the lansinoh for much longer, allowing for 'wet wound healing' and it sorted out the one scabby sore nipple episode I had, do it repeatedly after every feed/expression on both nipples for a day and it might do some really quick healing for you <3

Lansinoh also makes gel breast pads that you can even put in the fridge... They're great for when you're sore in between feedings and you can use them for a few days at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->