Herbs to prevent miscarriage

lolliplop84

Reaction score
Hello. I am currently 5 weeks pregnant with pregnancy number 10. I have two living children. One came with no issues the other we suffered many devastating mc before the hospital tried me on hcg injections during my first trimester. That saw me bring our baby home. Now we decided to try again and hoped that I wouldn't suffer the same fate. However as always around the time I found out I am pregnant I began to spot. Naturally I panicked and almost went to the hospital to ask for the same injections but my husband urged me to try acupuncture, moxibustion and herbs. Alternative therapy had always had good results for us but I have never tried it to prevent mc. My therapist believes I have a slippery womb which leads me to mc around 6-9.2 weeks. He thinks he can help me so I just wondered if any other people out there have tried this and been successful? I have my first scan tomorrow.

Personally- if the hcg injection worked last time, I'd be asking for them straight away.

I am very reluctant. I lost the ability to swallow solid food and developed irregular blood sugars (which still plague me daily now 3 years on) during my second successful pregnancy (whilst having hcg treatment). We think it's related to the hcg injections but Drs can't be certain. So far herbs and acupuncture have stopped my bleeding and pains.

I'm wondering why they didn't do progesterone? It helps build the lining and it's often used after someone has multiple miscarriages. I don't know anything about alternative medicine, but I wish you well. Please update us after your scan!

My progesterone was always ok but the hcg levels we realised would level off and plateau around 3600 and then I would mc. So the consultant decided to try hcg injections instead of progesterone. He said the progesterone would make no difference to me. Thank you I will let you know how the scan goes tomorrow.

I don't know of any herbs that could help "during" pregnancy...only prior.
I was put on progesterone after a bleed and also because I had no uterine lining due to conceiving just days after a miscarriage with no period inbetween.

Doesn't a slippery uterus mean the lining isn't the best? In which case progesterone could help. I think great blood levels don't necessarily mean your lining is perfect and the more the merrier? :shrug:

I take magnesium citrate to relax my uterus btw. Think it would be beneficial.

My progesterone is perfect but I'm bleeding. Dr put me on progesterone vaginal tablets. Bleeding just stopped last night after I put first set. Worth a try. I heard herbs should be avoided in pregnancy. I personally would push for progesterone

I would personally be asking for the HCG injections since you know they work. Regardless of the side effects. I wouldn't risk anything else. It's up to you though. I have never heard of any herbs to 'prevent' a miscarriage either.

So here is my experience with progesterone after a TON (like... TON) of research.

Your blood level can be fine, and you can still need progesterone supplements. Because your blood is not where it would naturally be PRODUCED, or needed for that matter. I def have low progesterone. (I'm not saying you do. I'm just saying I do) Even when we got my blood level up, it wasn't high enough. We could tell because I would get an ultrasound at 7DPO, to see if my lining had converted. It's your progesterone level that causes this change and makes it the perfect home for the little bean. it took my doctor's office about 7-8 months to get the right progesterone dosage (I take oral, and two different vaginal suppositories). But once we got it right, I was pregnant in 2 months (after almost 3 years)

So you can DEFINITELY have progesterone issues and still test fine with a blood test.

(To be clear, I'm not saying YOU have progesterone issues. I just wanted to let you (or anyone else who happened to be reading this) know)

I don't know of any herbs for sustaining a pregnancy, but I have heard that acupuncture can do wonders!!! Of course I would just do whatever you're more comfortable with. Fertility is such a personal thing. There's definitely never a clear-cut right and wrong road!

Hello again everyone thank you for your responses. I have had a turbulent few weeks. I reacted to the herbs and had to stop for a short while then bleeding started again. I requested the injections but I have been denied them by my GP. He doesn't believe in it as a treatment for mc. I am going back to my old mc clinic on Friday I had to be rereferred as an urgent patient because my old case was over 3 years old and my consultant has left but as it stands this baby is doing well without injections and has a healthy heartbeat measuring right on dates. So I have no idea if they will prescribe the injections now but I do believe the herbs, moxibustion and acupuncture have really helped me hold onto baby so far. It's all I have right now and thankfully all seems OK with the odd bleed but a tiny dose of herbs and moxibustion stops that. Plus my hcg levels have reached a level they have never been before without the injections. I can only hope all continues this way.

Hey lollipop! Fingers crossed fr you!! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->