Heuristic Play - what to use?

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
Someone on here told me about heuristic play where you put household items into a basket and let baby explore it. I keep meaning to sort out a basket but I'm struggling to think of things to put in it! :dohh:

So far I've only really come up with a wooden spoon so and and all suggestions would be welcome! :flower:

Colander? plastic cup? rolling pin? clean socks?

Plastic baster, wash rag, plastic measuring cup, hair scrunchie, big plastic comb (the one with blunt/not sharp points), mittens, gloves, hats, scarves, tupperware and lids, Errmm... that is all I can think of from looking around! haha!

Olivia has got one and I put in some of those sticky hair rollers, a few pine cones, some foil (though I dont let her put this in her mouth), a short piece of chain, feathers, a paint brush, some corks, a pumice stone, some ribbon and a soft flannel. I am on the look out for a small bell to add to it too.

I used to sit my older 2 on the floor with pots turned upside down and gave them wooden spoons to hit them with, and plastic jars filled with pasta/rice/dried beans to shake. I think the idea is to help them learn hand/eye coordination and learn how different things make different sounds.

Leather strips,
leather wallet - without money!
thick ribbons,
different cloth cuts,
kitchen-roll tube,
toilet roll tube + other sized ones (they love to try fitting them together)
Little pots (tiny metal tins are good) very well sealed with rice/pasta in them to shake.
Pastry brush? Or any type of soft brush - paint, tooth and those baby hairbrushes
Curtain pole wooden ring things (without the metal bit)
Egg boxes
Greaseproof paper
Some wool in a large ball and knotted (so it isn't loose at all)
Bath plugs (even with chain) - Probably best new!!
Egg cup
Loofah? My LO loved playing with that
Small mirrors are always a hit.

Anything and everything really. I got most of the stuff in mine new (so cheap at places like tesco) but any are pretty safe as long as you keep an eye.

Have fun! xxx

What are the benefits for doing it?

It helps build coordination and confidence. They also tend to keep LO more entertained that plastic toys.
Being able to feel all the different 'raw' textures is great for learning. Learn about sounds, how things move etcetera, in fact they can probably learn more from this than most plastic toys you get in shops!

<--- is totally making one of these for Otter -- thanks for posting Lu!

New natural sponge
spoon
a shower washer thing as loads of texture
nail brush
pine cone (new from shop i assume)

these are all in the ones at the baby group i go to

i recommend a visit to ikea!

they sell loooooads of stuff in there that can go in a treasure basket :thumbup:

Ooh, thanks ladies! :thumbup: I'm going to be near a Wilkos tomorrow so might pick up stuff like bath sponges etc there :D

We call C's his treasures and he LOVES them. Bought a lined wicker basket then walked round local hardware store and home. It's got loads in it including things like - nail brush, sand paper, shiny pan cleaner thing, coasters, business cards, an odd sock, photograph, small safe mirror, baby hair brush, wooden spoons, small baby toys, tin trays, hair scrunchy. Just make sure you supervise play closely and are sensible about small parts etc and you can use all kinds of things.

Keeps 'em quiet for hours!

Yeah it was sooo good for my eldest, I'd totally forgotten about it tbh! Will start collecting bits again ready for Elissa.

My friend who does this paly with special needs children says it is really good. Also those mini volvic bottles are good, u can put buttons, pipe cleaners, glitter - anything that might do something fun in them. And of course glue the lid shut!!

Once you have the stuff, do you just let them rake about?

Yup. Leave them to it to explore! It's great for getting things done (as long as you're near enough by to supervise)
Best not to overuse them though! Definitely limit how long they play with it and how long it's accessible for else it loses its appeal.

Yup. Leave them to it to explore! It's great for getting things done (as long as you're near enough by to supervise)
Best not to overuse them though! Definitely limit how long they play with it and how long it's accessible for else it loses its appeal.

She's not quite at the stage where she can sit on her own, but she does reach for stuff if you hand it to her. Is it too early to start this yet then?

It's easier if they can sit on their own but you could sit with her for now and hand things to her, let her explore them! Hold the basket to her so she can pick what she wants and rummage etcetera.

How long and how often would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->