HG or regular morning sickness? Please help!

HappyWife90

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am expecting my first and have no one with whom I am discussing my pregnancy so I don't know if what I am experiencing is normal! I am a little over 7 weeks. I started having morning sickness about a week ago. I would vomit when I woke up, maybe once or twice. Then I started vomiting for a few hours after waking, but not past 11am or so. Now it's going til 4pm or later. I seem to be able to keep down one meal per day though, mostly at night. I am making sure to get my fluids during that time also. Does this sound like HG or just really bad morning sickness? I am seeing my doctor in 3 days but am hoping for some insight before then. Thanks for your input!

I think they deem it HG when you've lost a percentage of body weight and get very dehydrated, sometimes ladies with HG need to be hospitalized for a period of time to get an IV with fluids. So, I can't say either way because unfortunately I never had it, but just try to keep down as much as you can to stay hydrated, and ask your doctor about maybe some anti nausea medicine?? At my OBGYN they prescribe dicliges for morning sickness (it's a combination of ambien/b vitamins) and it's made for pregnant women. Fortunately, my MS is kind of just a low level nausea but the medicine may be helpful to you. I hope you feel better!!

Thanks 1nce! I will definitely keep an eye on my weight. And anti-nausea pills sound like heaven, I'll ask my OB on Wednesday

I was diagnosed with HG with my son and then again with this pregnancy. The difference is that morning sickness comes and goes, isn't constant, and usually doesn't affect your ability to eat or drink. I never lost weight, actually somehow managed to gain weight (though I think it was because of how inactive I was) but they still considered that it was HG because I had 24/7 sickness that kept me bed ridden. I literally could not move without feeling like I was going to hurl. When I stood up it felt like I was on a rocking ship and was seasick. The doctor may test your blood and/or urine to check ketone levels and to see how dehydrated you are. If you lose 10% of your body weight and can't stop being sick, they may hospitalize you for a day or so to give you IV fluids, but this is only in severe cases. In milder cases of HG, you will be given a prescription for sickness meds. Zofran was the original go-to drug for morning sickness but with the increase of birth defects caused from it, most doctors prescribe Diclegis. I am currently on Diclegis and I have to say that it is a life saver for me! I highly recommend it if you can get your doctor to prescribe it for you. I honestly wouldn't be able to function without it.

Sounds like really bad morning sickness....hope you feel better soon....i felt better for a few at 8 weeks and came back with a vengeance....

It's bad morning sickness, which your doctor should be able to prescribe anti sickness meds for you if you are struggling.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had severe HG, I lost 14lbs in a week and was hospitalized three times for fluids and anti sickness meds. I was prescribed 3 different kinds of anti sickness meds by my GP which did nothing, and it was finally brought some-what under control at 20 weeks when I was put on Ondansetron. I had to take it up until I gave birth, otherwise I'd be back to puking 30+ times a day, puking blood etc, but I was able to eat and drink whilst on it at least.

With this pregnancy, I just have regular morning sickness, which is awful, but is nothing compared to my HG pregnancy. The first trimester really sucks, I hope you start to feel better soon :flower:

What's in the fluids they give you when you go to the hospital is magnesium. A trick a nurse taught me to prevent ms is to take liquid mag every other day. It also prevents leg cramps and active legs later on in pregnancy & keeps you super calm & relaxed. Don't take more than the package recommends as it will give you the runs as my DH found out lol (we both take it as we're both very physically active and it works to calm nerves & muscles), but it can be a lifesaver with ms too!

Pregnant women have a hard time absorbing mag and over 80% of the population in North America is deficient because veggies are now grown hydroponically rather than in mineral rich soil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->