Hi everyone

Katie bump

Pregnant with my first!
Reaction score
I'm Katie, I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my first baby (a girl) and I've finally been able to enjoy my pregnancy the last few weeks which I'm so relieved and happy about.

I had a threatened miscarriage on the SAME DAY I found out I was pregnant. The first my poor husband knew of our baby, was me hysterical on the phone asking him to meet me at the hospital. I had planned to get home from work that night and present him with a bottle of champagne and the pregnancy test stick in a champagne class (probably not a very hygienic thought with hindsight, but you get the picture).

After that roller coaster experience of a day, and the relief of seeing my baby at the scan (alive and well) and finding out I was 7 1/2 weeks pregnant, I descended into hormonal mood swings, worsening morning sickness, migraines, painful ligament stretching and itching all over. And what is that increased sense of smell all about?? I swear I could sniff out a mouse fart from 3 miles!!!

We've been trying for a baby for ages and I felt a bit cheated that after finally realising my dream, I felt so crappy with what felt like a million and one symptoms. I was so hapy yet at the same time scared that I was going to lose my baby or she might not be ok, and scared that despite wanting this so much I couldn't imagine how my new life would be and if I could cope with it. I'm by no means a pessimist but I couldn't and sometimes still can't control all these sad, scary thoughts and feelings that just seem to creep up on my from out of nowhere.

Anywhoo, next came the 12 week scan which was AMAZING (I was actually 16 weeks by the time the hospital could fit me in!), and I started to get used to the daily crappy sensations I was experiencing (no need to harp on about the constipation at this stage despite having a really good diet - just thank god for fybogel). The headaches and migraines were quite bad still, and I got really upset because one guy at work told me he had never known anyone less excited about being pregnant!

This really upset me because I was over the moon, but probably still holding it in 'cause I didn't want to jinx us and because I was still feeling so rough. In fairness the guy is an ass anyway, and not someone I would want to chat about my pregnancy too anyway. He was one of those "Was it planned" types - I can't believe people can ask such personal questions. Anyway, one thing i've learnt through all this is that other people have so many opinions, comments and advice about your pregnancy. Some of it is good and supportive, the rest is just crap and although it may be easier said than done, just raise your already tetchy, weepy and emotional hormones above it all and ignore them! This is my body and my baby and basically has nothing to do with anyone else I don't want to involve.

Moving on, the 20 week scan went well too (I was 21 weeks - confusing I know) and I actually started feeling a lot healthier and more relaxed too. Then our next bombshell, the triple test showed our baby was high risk for downs and we had to endure the amnio procedure and the waiting for the results which seems like forever. Me and my husband have never cried so much in our lives!!!!

Thank god the tests all came back fine, and I am finally starting to feel like I can relax and enjoy the pregnancy. I'm still scared about, well EVERYTHING, and having various uncomfortable pregnancy symptoms, but so far knowing she's ok, and feeling her wriggling and kicking is amazing. I'm falling in love with her more and more each day and she hasn't even arrived yet.

I also started going to my local aqua natal classes and swimming a bit which is a geat relief when I'm feeling hot and my back and hips are killing. I just hope me and my baby can stay happy and healthy for the rest of the pregnancy and would like to wish all of you and your precious bumps the same.

K x

:hi: Welcome and congrats on your little girl!

:headspin: Welcome to BnB!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->