Hi...new to this part of BnB and worried about 6 yr old

traceyann1980

Reaction score
Hi, I know all the answers will not be available here but other parental support would be greatly appreciated. Here is my story/problem and any insight would be great.

On the last day of term my son's teacher asked to have a word with me, this has happened a few times and I expected another "he's been climbing again" or that he had to be sent out of PE again but she hit me with "at the start of the new term someone from the local authority will be cming to assess James as we are worried about a few things" The few things were little actions that have been bothering me since he was about 2 but have always told myself "boys will be boys!" This is what she is worried about and what was in his school report:

*he gets upset and unsettled with change (she said the relaxed final week of term was hard on him)
*he gets frustrated and very upset when he cannot do something
*he needs a "fidget toy" during assemblies and carpet time
*he never seems to listen and is easily distracted

But he is very creative and when made to sit and focus he produces good work and can read and write etc...his handwriting he makes lots of mistakes but can do well when he is focused. The teacher said he needs lots of praise to encourage focusing but he isn't a "naughty child".

At home he is like a duracell bunny and has been since he was tiny...I have had comments when he was younger from people saying how hyper he is and to this day the most used comment is "where does he get his energy from?". When I am asking him something I have to get at eye level and make him look at me so I know he is listening but even then he will leave the room and forget what I asked him! The only time he is ever quiet and slows down is when he is unwell. Shopping is a nightmare...not because he is bad or tantrums but because he won't stand still and after repeatedly asking him to walk nicely he always says "i forget"

He is a very loving and tactile little boy and can sit and play on his own and quietly but those moments are less often than the running around moments and he has calmed down since starting school.

He can obsess about things like he will still bring up the Japanese Tsunami (which he was told about in school) and I have to be so careful what I speak about in front of him...for instance he was sobbing and started wetting the bed because he was worried about the "doctors cutting mummy open to get the baby out)...since reassuring him we have had a dry bed and hes excited now. He used to line up his cars and coasters etc when he was younger and even now his room needs to be tidy and gets upset and anxious if his cousins mess it up.

Am I right to start being concerned or is this just the school trying to put a label on a child that is just energetic and the youngest in his class????#

I'm so sorry for the essay!!!!

I would say there are some symptoms there of a spectrum disorder, there is a huge wide spectrum, and I'm no expert.

I too have just been told that Logan most probably has a spectrum disorder, Autism in our case. Logan has high energy, doesn't stop, is obsessed with wheels and trains, doesn't really talk, will say a few words, but you can't have a to and fro conversation with him, he's excellent with letters and numbers, and already count to 50 recite his alphabet and point out each letter and say what it stands for ie A - Apple, B - Baby that kind of thing. He can also write the letters and numbers, spell his name and write it. Knows all his colours and I mean all not just primary colours, shapes, his memory is fantastic.

Not nice to wait to make all through the summer though worrying, really nice of them to wait till the end of term..!

All the best xx

Sounds pretty normal to me!!! I am not an expert either, but I do think some teachers are very keen on labelling children and there is a good reason for this...MONEY!!! When my son was in kindergarten, the teacher told me he needed a pediatric assessment. I was freaking! My daughter already has ASD (autism) and now I was worried my son did too...although, he didn't seem AT ALL like my daughter. So, I took him for his assessment, because who am I to decide. Well, he is fine, no issues according to his pediatrician...and since then (he is now going into grade three) he has calmed down and gotten more focused and is doing really well. Then I found out that the teacher told EIGHT children to get the assessment...and that's just the ones that I know about...there could be more!!! So, go get your child checked. It won't hurt any. The problem is, many 'behaviours' are NORMAL and your child will outgrow them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->