High hcg but no heartbeat

MrsBachelor81

Reaction score
Hi everyone, after ttc my husband and I found out 4 weeks ago that we are pregnant.
Last week we had our first scan, we saw the gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal pole and everything measured right at 5wks2d, hcg was 5916. Yesterday we had our second scan and my RE expected to see the heartbeat. Well, we didn't see the heartbeat and the baby measured a bit smaller. He said more like an end of week 5 scan. He said he was concerned and that he wanted me to come back Saturday for a scan and if there was no heartbeat we would have to make some decisions. Well I got a call a few mins ago, my beta went up to 39059 yesterday but they are not giving me much hope. I was told with a beta that high we should have seen more. I am very discouraged now. Has anyone had that happen before?

My good friend had a scan at 6 weeks 3 days and didn't see a heartbeat and now has a healthy 2 year old. Did the baby actually get smaller than the 5w2day scan or was it just that it wasn't measuring as far along as you are? And, My best friend had a 7 week scan and although there was a heartbeat they said she was measuring way behind, and then at 8 weeks, she had caught back up and everything was totally normal and she just delivered her baby last week. So it is possible. And that rising HCG is a great sign! Hang in there!

It did not get smaller. It grew, it just didn't measure at 6wks2d, he said it measured more like an end of 5wk baby, so maybe 2 days off.

Scans this early can be, and in fact usually are, a few days off. When the fetal pole is so tiny, a lot depends on where the sonographer places the markers, etc. A difference in measurement can change the size by days. My babies always measure behind, and they always end up being small babies. Was it a vaginal scan?

Well, when we saw my son at 6+5 the heartbeat had just started. So I think it's likely the hb has just not gotten started yet, or just barely. Best of luck to you and your baby!

I've had two scans at 6 weeks with this pregnancy and my 6yr old, not once did I see or hear the hb. I'm now 15wks pregnant and this pregnancy my hcg was also high and I was told that they should of seen something by that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->