High hcg-levels and Down Syndrome - Update

Hi :flower: It is a very hard decision that only you can make but you should deffo do it before another 4 weeks passes believe me you will think of nothing else 24 hours a day :hugs:, I went through the same torment 2 weeks ago I was given 1:28 chance of downs and im 33 yrs old on my 3rd pregnancy I even went for the amnio appointment but once in the room I couldn't go through with it so now I will have a 22 week wait to find out but I have accepted the outcome could go either way now and im good.

I really hope all works out well for you and you get all the support that you need and remember only you know whats best for your life ahead :hugs::hugs:

I think if you should do the test asap rather than wait. The longer you leave it, the more of a baby you're killing ikywim, baby will be more developed etc.
x

While the poster mentioned something that isn't allowed, they are, I believe new, and they are wrestling with a difficult choice. Comments like this are not helpful, and are designed to be inflammatory. "More of a baby"? what is that supposed to mean, really?

None of us can really know what someone else is going through, even in the exact same situation since we do not know their total circumstances, and I think withholding judgement would be the more helpful thing to do.

I completely agree, if you dont agree dont comment, because this lady is not taking the decision lightly but at the end of the day I respect her for being able to say this. I would say do it as soon as possible to make the procedure easier for yourself chick. Fingers crossed it wont come to that but you will just get more attached as it goes on over time. Hope it works out for you and ignore the comments above regarding whether your making the wrong or right decision because at the end of the day it is your decision. I felt I got slated for saying I would terminate if it was a high chance, considering the quality of life. Stay strong and hope it is okay. xxx

I am in a very similar position - 1 in 15 risk and it was all due to the blood levels not the neck messurements.

I have decided against a amnio - as due to me having problems in my last pregnancy (my waters went very early and we lost my son shortly after birth) as for me it is extra risky messing with the fluid. After loosing my son I know there is no way I could termniate this baby (was offered that option several times with our last son and refused).

I think that you do go into shock when you recieve these results and I do think they push you down the termination route (well from my experience - of this pregnancy and my last one). I would hate you to rush into anything you regret later - this is not a judgement I just feel that there is so much pressure put on you at this time its hard to think straight when you are shocked and worried. It may be best not to go on the trip but to take time to look at the situation from all sides.

I found the downs syndrome association web site very helpful- and had a lot of support from a lovely lady on here who has a child with downs syndrome. I now feel at peace with my decision not to test but it is a VERY personal choice and I can totally understand why people do have the amnio.

Just wanted to offer hugs and support with whatever you decide. I agree with others about testing sooner rather than later as the worry is no good for you or baby. Then you can go about making what will be the hardest decision of your life and for that you need support not judgement! There are many of us on here that feel that way so as others have said if you would like to pm me anytime I will listen. Good luck hun hope its all a worry over nothing and your baby is healthy! xx

My mother told me that if I would terminate a baby if they had down syndrome's, then to get it. If I would keep the baby no matter what, then don't get the test. I suppose it also affects how long you hve been waiting to conceive this baby. Some people waited for years and would do nothing to even risk miscarriage at all.

My doctor described it in a way of "Who are you?" He said that if you are the type who needs to know everything, then you might want to do it. Some people prefer not to know, so they probably won't get the test.

I also believe that it has a lot to do with the baby. If you can afford to raise a baby with Down's Syndrome, and if you can afford all the medicine, possible surgeries, that go along with it, etc.

In the end, it is all about you and your choices for you and your baby.

If you want the test, get it asap. The results are better and I believe the miscarriage rate is a tid bit lower if you get it done at the earliest week rather than the latest week.

Good luck and best wishes :hugs:

Hi, bcwalti! Just wondering if you went ahead with the amnio. I'm currently on my 20th week and due to high HcG level, I was advised that my baby has a 1:15 chance of having DS. My appointment for another level 2 ultrasound is in 2 days; and husband and I have not fully decided yet if we even want to definitively find out the possibility.

This is the first grandchild for both sides of the family and everyone (not just hubby & myself) is excited for the baby's arrival. We are definitely in a dilemma whether to start discussing options or to just enjoy the next few months of the pregnancy.

I'm really annoyed by this post. I don't think you should abort a baby just because it has downs or anything wrong with it. There are so many people out there that can't have kids that would love to have a child no matter what condition they have. I think that it is really selfish of you to even mention abortion at all all! I'm not gonna get a test at all, I will love my baby no matter what. I think you should have thought about that before you got pregnant there is always a chance of anything going wrong.

Test as soon as you can and do not let any of the negative comments here get you down. I'll be thinking of you at this difficult time...

Can we please stop knocking her down? She didn't come here to be belittled.

I agree that due to the OP's intentions regarding what she would do with a positive amnio it may be best that this thread be moved to ethical loses..... If she waited till 19 weeks for the amnio, it could take nearly two weeks for the results depending on whether they are equiped for FISH or not and if it came back positive then it means she could be facing a termination at 21 weeks.... a point in which baby is fully formed and could even possibly survive outside the womb with assistance...... It just gets controversial and so she'd be prolly be best off discussing the matter elsewhere where she would get the support she needs....

I know how difficult this is to find out especially being all hormonal from being pregnant. Its a very difficult decision to make. I had to make a very similar decision about my pregnancy, not because of Downs but because of a chromosome issue, being told that my child had a 50/50 chance of either miscarrying at any point in the pregnancy or being born with physical deformities. I never got pregnant to think I would be put in this position ever. Here in the US I had to wait until I was past 17 weeks to even get my amnio done just to find out if the chromosome where correct, then wait up to two weeks to get the results back. Long story short everything turned out just fine and I have a healthy little boy. If you cant cant handle having a child with Downs then you should get the testing done right away(I dont think its right to terminate). But remember there isnt a test that is 100% accurate, and this is your choice, whats best for you and your other half. I wish everything goes well for you and that your baby is everything you hope for. I'll be praying for you. :hugs:

For everyone that is taking this personal or doenst like this thread...you dont have to read it, you dont have to comment. This isnt a loss..... she is still pregnant and I am sure she wants to stay pregnant. Talking about This Thread should be in--->Ethical Prenatal Losses' when did she lose the baby??? She doesnt even have answers yet! And how many people do you think are requesting to be in Ethical Prenatal Losses' how many replies is she going to get? She's just looking for advice and support. If you dont want to support her, then leave the thread.

Hi dearest,

Many hugs to you. I hope that you're getting much support from your OH, family members and friends.

Took us years to get pregnant and doubt we'd be able to have another child after this. We decided to take the DS test and other blood tests because
It is so important to us that our child is fully equipt to face the challenges of life when we are no longer around in being. We have niece who is a special needs child who is dispraxic, mildly autistic, had ADHD and a host of other mental difficulties. She feels alienated and sad when she was asked to leave from more than 30 pre-schools/nurseries and kindergarten in the past 3 years. Yes, 30 She has just been asked to leave her primary school too. She sometimes wonders why and asks her mother, with her limited vocabulary. It nit only hurts family members but we can see it hurts her too. She deserves so so so much more.

So I so understand where you're coming from because you really want the best for your little one. I hope you find guidance in your prayers and support in your family.

This thread was started ages ago... the lady who posted will have already made her decision by now so there's no point in posting! (I hope everythihg worked out for you!)

J x

Thanks for pointing this out! I guess I dont read the dates the theads are started, usually read whatever pops up on the first page and relpy etc.... I hope everything turned out for the best for OP.

I'm really annoyed by this post. I don't think you should abort a baby just because it has downs or anything wrong with it. There are so many people out there that can't have kids that would love to have a child no matter what condition they have. I think that it is really selfish of you to even mention abortion at all all! I'm not gonna get a test at all, I will love my baby no matter what. I think you should have thought about that before you got pregnant there is always a chance of anything going wrong.

There are people who have had to terminate their much loved babies, that they WANTED and LOVED. In fact, I know many Mums who have terminated their baby's for medical reason's, who's babies would have been born suffering, whose babies would have died in pain, maybe minutes or hours after birth. Those Mum's are not selfish. They are the most selfless people I know, they have chosen a lifetime of the worst pain you could ever imagine, a lifetime of loss and grief, to spare their child that pain. So unless you have been in that position, and I hope to God you never are you have no right to judge what so ever.

I hope the OP made the right choice for her depending on the results (hopefully positive) and is getting lots of support what ever happened.

alot of the times those test can be wrong and baby's are born 100% healthy thats why alot of women do not go threw with testing! i hope everything worked out for you hun god bless :)

I wish people would stop and try to support this poor girl x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->