High Nuchal measurement at 12 weeks but measurement fine at 20 weeks?

Emx

Mum/Cautiously pregnant
Reaction score
I had a 1-50 risk of Downs after my Nuchal Scan and Bloods and declined a CVS or Amnio as the risk of miscarriage was too high for us - I had my anomoly scan last week and everything was absolutely fine - no heart, bowel, brain etc problems that they could detect - The nuchal measurement was also spot on this scan... I was so relieved as I know about 70% of babies with Downs usually have problems with heart or bowels... so in theory is my risk reduced?

Also how significant is it that the Nuchal measurement was fine this time?

I thought that the most accurate reading was between 11-13 weeks, hence why they didnt measure it again after those dates as the fluid does reduce as the weeks go on :shrug:
But that sounds great if no other problems were detected :) xx

The Nuchal folds reading is one way to measure potential problems, but it is not 100% accurate and actually has a very high false positive rate. If they had detected something very seriously wrong, or a measurement too high they would have tried harder to get you to have an amnio or CVS. The other thing with the Nuchal folds test, is that the ball of fluid at the base of the baby's neck that they measure can diminsh as the baby gets larger and becomes more proportionate.

If it showing diminished risk now, then that's wonderful news!

Thanks - I know I should have asked all these questions at the time - but I was so relieved I just wanted to get out of there.. have an appointment with the obstetric consultant in a few weeks so will get him to explain more x

Doctor's have told me that the only significant nuchal measurement is the one between 11-13 wks. Mine was normal (though the doctor did it at 10+5 wks :growlmad: ) but my bloods was high risk.

I also had a detailed scan at wk 17 (no amnio) and the wonderful doctor who did it, said that all looked normal. He also measured the nuchal fold again, but said that it's not so reliable at this stage. He also said that it is still possible that our baby will be born with DS or mosaicism, but in theory it should halve our risk (also the numbers don't mean much, when you are that one). So anyway, it is definitely a reason for relief, but only an amnio can give a definitive answer and it's such a personal decision whether you take those risks.

Szaffi - thankyou for that info.. I appreciate there is still a risk - although am confident that there must be at least some reduction after a clear scan.. I still wont have an amnio and am happier now knowing that if my baby does have DS at least its unlikely she will have any of the additional conditions associated with Downs, which to be honest, was my biggest concern x

Yes, that's a good way to look at it, and that's exactly how I felt after my detailed scans. I hope that everything turns out fine for you :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->