High School Grades Already?

Neko

Reaction score
Is it normal to get a progress report already for High School. My son only started school the Tuesday after Labor Day. We already got a progress report for September - first couple weeks of October.

Seems strange to get 8 report cards. Do other High Schools do this?

I don't know about other schools but at the school my children do to we have an evening in November when we go and see their teachers and get a progress report. They don't give exact grades but give us an idea of what level the children are working at at the moment and they highlight if there are any issues that need to be address over the rest of the school year.

I think it can sometimes be useful to see what level they start the new school year and what level they end it although i don't think it should be really formal and pressurised for the children.

Yup- very normal where we live. You get progress reports about 6wks in... then mid-terms... etc... we can also look online to check the progress whenever. It's not always *accurate* if all assignments arent in yet, but it's a good way to see how things are progressing. It's not the end all though- many times the progress report is very low (then we get the explanation from our teenager)- then when the final reports come out the grade has increased accordingly- so to that end it's a bit annoying... kinda like, don't tell me if it's not accurate?! But- at least my kid usually knows why- and, if not, it gives her the chance to check in with her teacher if she's not sure why it's wrong (which has happened a couple of times in the past 4yrs)- she's a senior now ;) -- more than one a teacher actually mis-placed her assignment and didn't count it... and luckily my kid had an extra copy?!

I don't know about other schools but at the school my children do to we have an evening in November when we go and see their teachers and get a progress report. They don't give exact grades but give us an idea of what level the children are working at at the moment and they highlight if there are any issues that need to be address over the rest of the school year.

I think it can sometimes be useful to see what level they start the new school year and what level they end it although i don't think it should be really formal and pressurised for the children.

The child in question just turned 15 yesterday. He can take it. lol

Ours was the exact same way in the earlier years. We had a conference just before the report cards came out. Then got the official report cards in late November.

Seoj - Mine son is a Freshman, so we are new to this Highschool thing. My son's grade school was K-8, he didn't even to go Middle School technically. Glad to know this is normal grading. It's nice to stay informed and not be surprised by bad grades when it's too late to do anything.

I was a little concerned. He's taking 4 honors courses and that's a ton for a Freshman. Somehow he has an A+ in Latin and a C in English. We need to move him to another country.

My high school sent home progress reports around this time of year :) BIL is still in grade 12, I know the in laws recently had phone call notification that they were coming home.

The child in question just turned 15 yesterday. He can take it. lol

Ours was the exact same way in the earlier years. We had a conference just before the report cards came out. Then got the official report cards in late November.

Seoj - Mine son is a Freshman, so we are new to this Highschool thing. My son's grade school was K-8, he didn't even to go Middle School technically. Glad to know this is normal grading. It's nice to stay informed and not be surprised by bad grades when it's too late to do anything.

I was a little concerned. He's taking 4 honors courses and that's a ton for a Freshman. Somehow he has an A+ in Latin and a C in English. We need to move him to another country.

I was assuming a lot younger than that :dohh:

Considering the one is my signature is 3 1/2, that's a reasonable assumption. I'd rather have another little one, 3 year olds are much easier than teenagers. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->