Hip pain/stiffness ?

T

TeddysGirl

Hi

Popping in a little early but this seemed more like a 3rd trimester question than a 2nd trimester question.

I am currently 26 weeks and for the last couple of weeks I have had bad hip and back ache all down my left side. It's so bad I was only in work for 1 and half days last week.

I have googled and come across SPD and PGP but I don't know if that sounds like what I am having. It hurts most when I am sitting down for a long period of time (work is a nightmare, I'm a TA so sitting down 90% of the time). Then after sitting down for ages it hurts while walking, I limp and look like an old lady ! It aches around my hip and butt cheek and my left leg feels numb. Does this sound like SPD or PGP ?

I had a midwife appointment on Friday and mentioned it to her and all she said was "oh, seems a bit early for hip pain" so no advice there. My bump isn't particularly huge but I'm slightly double jointed (was very double jointed when I was younger) so not sure if that means my ligaments are more likely to hurt.

Any advice ?
Thanks

Yup I totally have that problem. I had SPD (or something) super bad with my first pregnancy. It's much more mild this time around. The main thing is after being in one position for a long time, getting up can be excruciating. My hips feel locked or something, almost like when you sleep on your neck wrong and you wake up and can't move it. It sucks but it's normal as far as I know. Don't expect much help from your doctors, they're kind of dicks about hip pain in my experience :dohh:

I got some of those icyhot patches and warming patches and stuff and put it on my hips. I also take lots of epsom salt baths but I usually need husband's help getting out lol. The baths help a lot though. Swimming also REALLY helps but that's not something you can just do every day for the most part.

Oh also I have RA so I also have joint problems so I wonder if this stuff affects people with pre-existing joint issues more than other people.

It's awful isn't it. Week before last I left work, walked to my mums (15 minute walk) limping the whole time, got to mums, laid on the floor and cried, went to Dr and she said to self certify myself off for a few days and rest. Went back to work last Wednesday and it was so bad I left 1/2 way though the day on Thursday. I might have to get some stick on heat pads to use at work. It's not too bad after I've laid down for 20 minutes or so.

Sounds like it, I had it from 20+ weeks first time and 11 weeks this time, think it's nonsense saying it's too early, if you have it you have it!

I found it very hard to get taken seriously and I ended up with severe spd that left me crawling to the toilet at nights etc.
This time beside I've had it before they were much better and I've got a support belt and physio.
Don't let them fob you off!

Oh also I have RA so I also have joint problems so I wonder if this stuff affects people with pre-existing joint issues more than other people.

I have osteoarthritis due to hypermobility and I was told to expect it so I think if you have existing joint issues it'seems more likely and effects you earlier. The joys !

Isn't it the worst?! I feel for you! I've had SPD since about week 20 something and I'm sorry to say it gets progressively worse. Baby girl is positioned so low down against my tailbone that sitting for long periods of time and then getting up hurts like no other pain I've ever experienced.

If you have to sit for a long time I found that rolling up a blanket and putting it just under where your butt meets your thighs really helps. It lifts my butt/tailbone off the chair just enough for relief.

Thanks girls. Sorry to hear you're all suffering too !
I wasn't too bad this morning, is usually better if I've been lying down, then I bent down to pick up the iron to do my work clothes and heard this huge crunch from my right hip and now my right one hurts too. Up until now its just been in my left hip so really hoping this isn't the start of my right hip hurting all the time too !

I'm having this problem too. I end up on crutches at the end of the day most days. Dr. prescribed muscle relaxers, but I don't want to take them, so I just ice and heat the affected area. Work is getting harder and harder.

Please stand up for yourself and make sure you get help. Mine started around 18 weeks and I'm coming up on 38 weeks, and I'm telling you it gets worse. My worst fear is that the pain won't go away when I have the baby and I won't be able to properly care for him.

GL.

I'm having this problem too. I end up on crutches at the end of the day most days. Dr. prescribed muscle relaxers, but I don't want to take them, so I just ice and heat the affected area. Work is getting harder and harder.

Please stand up for yourself and make sure you get help. Mine started around 18 weeks and I'm coming up on 38 weeks, and I'm telling you it gets worse. My worst fear is that the pain won't go away when I have the baby and I won't be able to properly care for him.

GL.

While everyone is different I can only tell that I was in agony with spd, crawling around to get around the house, stopped work at 29 weeks, impossible to do my job due to pain etc. I honestly felt like I was broken and would never be fixed. Had my ds, he was stuck back to back in labour, he finally after five hours turned, came out and... the relief was amazing! All my pain just went, just like that, I could move, bend, walk, it was incredible :)
It didn't return until 11 weeks into my second pregnancy and with a support belt, swimming etc it's been much better.
Fingers crossed same for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->