Hips are killing me :(

Surprised26

Reaction score
Anyone have any remedies to sooth hip/back pain. I mentioned the pain at my last appointment, but didn't make a big deal of it as I thought it was a normal part of pregnancy. The nurses and doctor didn't pay much attention to the concern either.

I've had a disk issue in my lower back since before pregnancy that is usually treated with flexeril and then is fine until something else happens to throw it out of whack. Which of course I can't treat right now. It seems like the pain is right where my hips and spine meet and everytime I move (roll over in bed, stand, lean too far to one side) there is a loud popping that my OH can hear so I promise it's not all in my head! lol. Sleeping is becoming impossible as I always end up waking on the side that is in the most pain and when I try to get up my leg locks up from the pain :/ and I kind of have to hobble on my potty breaks.

Is this something I need to stress more about during my next visit? Should I go to a GP instead of bringing it up to my OB? Should I just suck it up because it's a normal part of pregnancy? Hot showers seem to help (I just let the hot water run over my back and bum, not my belly) but is there anything else I can try to ease the pain...Tylenol has been useless.

I would visit a chiropractor and a massage therapist. Pregnancy puts a lot of strain on our bodies. Might just have some tight muscles and misalignment that needs to be treated. My experience with mentioning back pain to gp's is that they usually just throw pills at it. That might treat the pain, but not the problem. I would ice it in the meantime to relieve the inflammation. Hope u get to feeling better! :)

I've heard chiropractors are good for hip pain in pregnancy, too. Just make sure you find one who has prenatal experience. A support belt might be some help, too. I just dug mine out and wore it while working in the kitchen after a long achy day, and it helped a lot. You could stress it more to your OB, but it seems like women are just expected to deal with all the discomforts of pregnancy.

I've had very similar problems, i have spd, so i find a hour soaking in a hot bath (not too hot of course) loosens my hips up alittle, along with sleeping with a hot water bottle and taking a few or painkillers... And getting down on all fours and letting your OH rub your lower back and hips... I also recommend sitting on a birthing ball to gently rock your hips... These are the methods ive been using, i hope they help you huni xxx

My back pain settles with a birthing ball not sure if itl help u?.. My groin is all achy too at min.

I can fully sympathise! I trapped a nerve in my back years ago and my back has been 'sensitive' ever since. When I got pregnant with my first in suffered really badly from SPD but it was only when I went to a physio after giving birth that they diagnosed me with a blocked left sacroiliac joint in my hip, so basically my hip had locked and left me losing a lot of muscle in my left leg. This time round I'm managing but carefully following the exercises the physio gave me. Her main advice was to engage your core, so squeeze your stomach muscles tight when doing anything strenuous such as getting up etc. Keep your knees together as much as possible when rolling over, getting out the car etc and ensure you breathe through the movements so that they are controlled. I know it sounds a lot but after doing it for a while it becomes second nature and is a good habit. My physio basically gave me a lot of pilates exercises but I wouldn't recommend starting them when pregnant but maybe an idea if it's still painful after birth.

Sorry for rambling on, hope some of that helps. If you're struggling definitely go to a chiropractor or physio, I wrote it off as pregnancy pains but sometimes your body needs a hand - carrying a baby is hard work! :haha:

I saw an antenatal physio at 14 weeks due to back and hip pains here is the advice i was given:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...5-antenatal-physio-advice-back-hip-pains.html

I developed SPD at around 24 weeks and had to alter a few things from the above list - but i can say for SPD getting in the swimming pool and doing an aquanatal class helped me so much! Just being 80% weightless was amazing! It was hard work for a few hours after getting out because of the weight dropping back down, but definitely helped for the following days and i was always ready to get back in the water the following week (shame they only did the classes once a week lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->