Hit and miss with Solids

rach321

Reaction score
Just need a bit of advice since I'm not sure if I should be worried about this.
My LO has been on solids for a few weeks now - he's 24 weeks but a very big boy! We started out on the veg purees and baby rice/porridge etc. He was fine for about 2 weeks the he got an ear infection and wouldn't eat anything at all now he's completely over that and cutting his first tooth - its through the gum but not fully out yet.
He's not at all interested in breakfast anymore - I've tried every cereal/porridge out there, even just pureed fruit on its own but still not interested. Lunch he will sometimes eat but only 2 or 3 teaspoons and then that's it - not interested anymore. He gets the food into his mouth ok but then shoves his fingers in and seems more interested in sucking the food off his fingers than eating it off a spoon.
Not sure what to do - shall I just carry on as normal and keep offering him breakfast and lunch till he turns his head away. Or since he's quite happy to suck the food off his fingers shall I try the BLW approach. Really don't know what to do for the best - is it just a phase, is it his teeth or should i be worried ?

I really wouldn't be worried, it's a completely new thing some babies really take to it immediately, then some it takes awhile. It took Hayden until 9mo (we started at 6mo) to start eating. I would just keep offering, don't stress over it or make it a big deal or that will just stress him out and follow his cues, if he doesn't want it don't push it and try again another day.

It sounds to me like its his teething that bothering him. He may feel under the weather and who likes to eat when they feel grotty and in pain???

Maley has a lot of melon slices straight from the fridge (asda do a tray for 99p) so try offering him finger foods to get him interested again and have cool things from the fridge that he can gnaw on such as melon, cucumber,apple (with the skin off) banana....

Maley has all of these and she hasnt shown any signs of teeth yet but she loves sucking them and the coolness will be great for his gums.

Try the food in case he is in the mood (only do half his usual amount rather than wasting food - you can always get more) but dont push it or get anxious as he will pick up on this.
Just keep his fluids up, bottles so he isnt hungry but he sounds like teething to me.

Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"