Hit by an uninsured driver.

P

Pensivedore

DH was out walking our neighbours dog- and came back to find a car park just behind our old Polo at the bottom of the drive. It's from 1994, worthless and we hardly use it- only when the other car is low on fuel, or in the case of a few months ago, when DH was using the big car.

An uninsured learner driver has crashed into the back of it- the back is a bit bent and honestly I think the cost of fixing it will be more than the car is worth (its probably worth about £200 or so). The guy who was supervising the learner driver has offered us the cash to get it repaired...but I *think* I still have to let the insurance company know, and surely I will have to tell them the driver who hit it was uninsured and was a learner?

Not sure what to do really? Insurance company is obviously closed at the moment, but should we ring the police? We have their apparent details...mobile number and address but DH wrote down their license plate number too.

Neither me or DH have ever had an accident so we are both clueless as what to do...?

Was the learner definitely uninsured or are they just asking you not to take it through insurance companies? If they were insured but want to pay for it themselves, that's legal in the UK. To go through their insurance would mean they had to pay the excess plus their insurance in future would be more expensive so you can see why they'd do it if they can afford to just give you the money. I would tend to do that, as long as they are willing to pay for it properly. I would still ring your insurance just in case they try to back out of it later. You could try the insurance company now if you wanted to get it on record; I think they probably have 24 hour helplines.

However if they were uninsured I would ring the police. Uninsured drivers put up everybody else's policies and it's illegal and they shouldn't be able to wriggle out of the consequences. It could have been a child they hit.

Was the learner definitely uninsured or are they just asking you not to take it through insurance companies? If they were insured but want to pay for it themselves, that's legal in the UK. To go through their insurance would mean they had to pay the excess plus their insurance in future would be more expensive so you can see why they'd do it if they can afford to just give you the money. I would tend to do that, as long as they are willing to pay for it properly. I would still ring your insurance just in case they try to back out of it later. You could try the insurance company now if you wanted to get it on record; I think they probably have 24 hour helplines.

However if they were uninsured I would ring the police. Uninsured drivers put up everybody else's policies and it's illegal and they shouldn't be able to wriggle out of the consequences. It could have been a child they hit.

Thanks for the help! Def uninsured unless they were lying- they both coughed up and told OH straight away. He has gone to bed now but will get him to ring the Police from work tomorrow. Thanks hun.

ring the insurance company tomorrow & see what they say xx

ETA i have a 1992 polo & someone reversed into it a few weeks ago, gave me £100 cash straight away to replace the lights that they cracked (£35 on ebay)...

needless to say ive not repaired them & my mums just given me her car so i now have £100 to go shopping with!! whoo!! xx

I'd call the police if they are uninsured. They should NOT be on the road.

I agree with reporting them if uninsured. The rest of us pay a fortune for premiums and folk who think they are outside the law are part of the reason.

agreed with others you should report them. Everyone has to be the high insurance prices and they are not an exception to that rule.

They are putting people at risk and risk putting other peoples policies up all because they have not got insurance which is illegal.

they need to pay the consequencesof their actions if they are let off lightly that will be more confident to carry on without insurance which could end up in a much worser crash and people could be seriously hurt

Yes report it, Maybe he just lies about being uninsured. but here in any case you can't get a numberplate unless youve proven insurance.

Im pretty sure that even if you have ANY accident you are meant to imform your insurance company, same with modifications. My friends wee bro had an accident and settled it with cash. He came to insure his new car and somehow they found out as it was reported to police but not done through insurance, and his insurance went up 1k (he was 19) just like that.

If the driver is truly uninsured then firstly report it to the police (non emergency number) and pass on the registration plate details, they can then check the current status of the vehicle. Is there a tax disc on the windscreen? If not, please also mention this. The police can then advise what step you need to take next.

Report them hun I think its disgusting he/she was driving without insurance and i definitely wouldnt think twice in doing so!

Thankyou for the help ladies :) all getting sorted now and appreciate the help!

Did you call the insurance company?

I think what they did is terrible and the need reporting to the police, However, in my case I pro sly would get a quite for repair and get the cash off these people, just because even if you don't claim and are not at fault it does push my premium up.

We reported a car park bump, not at fault, we were not even moving and none of us claimed, but it still added a about £250 to our policy the following year. Craziness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->