Hitting...

T

Tilly

Bethanie had a problem hitting a while ago, she stopped it.. but now she does it more. I told her off in the post office today for getting out of her buggy arm restraints and she went mad. I got down to her level, held her hands and told her that she was naughty.. followed by her slapping me round the face! I got a funny look from this woman too, just ignored it. Also, boyfriends dad asked a few nights ago "Tilly, I wonder why she hits , if you two don't hit her?" - don't know what he was getting at, but I would NEVER hit her! I was under the impression that this can be quite normal for toddlers?

I've tried the naughty step, but she just gets up and runs away thinking it's a game. This isn't possible when we're out either obviously so what else would you suggest? Enough is enough? any tips?

Next time she hits, take her hands away, rest them somewhere and hold them gently so she cant whack you again. The give her a really exaggerated 'cross' face so she knows you are NOT happy with her behaviour and say NO in a firm voice. I usually tell my charges why I said No, too. EG You mustnt hit, it hurts mummy and makes her sad!!

Good Luck!! :hugs: x x

its so difficult to do the right thing but rest assured you will make the right decision, trust your instincts, if you do the naught step then you have to persevere, if she runs off then unfortunately you have to keep putting her back, sil had to do this for nearly 2 hours with my nephew she was knackered and about to give in but now is so thankful she didnt things have just clicked into place with routine and consequense!

good luck

h x

When she does something naughty again,whether hitting or whatever. Make your knee the naughty step but face her into a corner somewhere boring etc. That way you can hold her but ignore her totally even if she is wailing and flailing about and start talking to someone else or read something like you are not bothered.

Also your knee is portable lol then once she gets to grips with that go onto a step/stool/rug etc once she knows you mean business.
Thats what we did with our stepson.

Tilly does she go to Nursery or Play Group? Sometimes when they see other children doing so they think its acceptable. Some children however just go through this stage. I think they realise that yes it is naughty and its a way of getting some form of attention.

We had this problem with Eleanor once, well we still do to an extent. Chris and I would never hit but unfortunately its a way of punishment in their household and when her and her half brother fight they hit each other so they find it acceptable. Not getting at anything to you here, just an example of how easy it is for children to pick things up from others...

But if she dosent go to nursery or play group then im all out of ideas.

We cant do the naughty step either but we do send her to her room leave her for a few minutes and then go up and tell her what she has done and why its not acceptable to do so in a clam manor. Difference is she is 3, might be a tad difficult to do something like that with a Child the age of Bethany.

Sorry I cant be more help but hope you manage to hit the nail on the head with it soon

X

Good tips girls thanks.

sonny, that is a great idea (with the naughty lap), I must try that one.

Stef, she doesn't go to playgroup.. although she does go to a soft play area a fair bit and some of the kids there hit or throw things every so often. I didn't think the amount of time we spend there would affect her that much, but you never know I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->