Holidays with cloth

Hanna

Reaction score
I am ready to use my newly acquired stash of cloth nappies when lo decides to come out....
but a lot of people have been saying to me that I would not manage, it's not practical, etc...

one argument that keeps coming back and to which I don't know what to reply is travelling. we do go abroad quite a bit and wonder about the practicalities of taking 15 nappies with me + all the bits and pieces that come with it.

Have any of you done it? How easy is it?

I haven't been abroad yet, but we are going away to Portugal for a week in April and will be taking our cloth with us.

We have been on little holidays in this country a couple of times with no problems, we just made sure where we were going had a washing machine and either radiators or a tumble dryer (it was winter).

When we go away in April I know there isn't drying facilities where we are going, so I am taking nappies that dry fast and hoping that the weather is good! I will prob wash as often as I can so they have plenty of time to dry.

I think if you want to do it you will, it is def not a reason against using cloth!

If you didn't want to take them you could always use eco-disposables.

:)

Granted we just traveled within the US but I traveled a couple times with Hayden in cloth. One time for 2wks, no washer and since I do have such a big stash I was able to manage. But really it wasn't any harder, yeah there was a bit more to pack but if it's just one child if you pack a decent size bag their clothes aren't that big so there is plenty of room for the diapers in there

I think the new Flips provide pretty much the perfect travel solution. We were planning to go away for a week this year but Id been thinking I would HAVE to do eco disposables as we would have no access to washing facilities. However now I can use my Flip outers and buy packs of disposable Flip inserts and off we go!

We haven't travelled so far but we are off to spain in may and will be travelling with cloth, i have been doing the hand wash test :dohh: basically if he has done a number 2 then i empty it down the loo and then see how they hand wash, some do brill but some i would struggle with so i now have a good idea of what i want to take with me and in a few weeks i will be putting orders in for them :happydance:

What have you found that work well like that Donna? :)

Defo not pop in's that's for sure haha, best are things with fleece or minkie style inners such as wee notions, mammy made, itti's aren't to bad, bb's and also the ebay cheapies and things like them they take the least amount of effort to get poo off of :blush:, pop in's on my test were hard work to get it out and never felt clean to me, i'm still testing lol so i may have a few more to the list as well as some i'm bound to of forgotten :dohh:

Lol cool I am off to portugal in April and so far on my list I have my WNNN, which I am hoping to use every night, lol, Blueberries, Muttaqins, Flips, think that's all so far, I am avoiding my BG AIOs and my Pop Ins. Let me know if you find any others you think will work well!

I've not been abroad with Imi but we went on holiday when she was about 6 weeks old. We used 100% cloth and just made sure we stayed where there was a washing machine x

I definitely wouldn't let going away put you off cloth! We've been away for weekends etc and taken cloth and disposables just in case and I just never felt right using the 'sposies. As for how much room they take up - no more than all the 'sposies you would need to take to last the whole trip lol!

Just find out what the laundry facilities are like and let that be your guide.

thanks. very reassuring. we are off to Portugal, France and Spain this year and in all 3 circumstances there will be a washing machine. drying is not going to be a problem as it is going to be summer in most cases. i am sure once i get going with cloth, i'll feel more confident.

thanks ladies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->