Home Birth in the UK?

Amylette

Reaction score
What's the deal with home birthing in the UK? Could you tell me about your experience? Link some good websites with lots of info?

I'm really interested in having a home birth but a lot of people have said to me not to with my first child. But i really want too!

If you take a look in the chat thread at the top homebirthers ad hopefuls there#s a bunch of links on the first page.

In the UK basically you have the right to be attended by MW's at home no matter what!

You can be told youre high risk blah blah blah but if you wan to homebirth they are duty bound to attend you!

www.homebirth.org.uk

is a good place to start

I am in the UK. I gave birth at home! Merv's Mum is in the UK and she did too.

Who is saying that you can't/shouldn't do it at home with your first? Friends or midwife? And why do they think that?

^ ^ that website is really good!

Are there any home birth groups near you? YOU CAN DO IT! :D

I am in the UK. I gave birth at home! Merv's Mum is in the UK and she did too.

Who is saying that you can't/shouldn't do it at home with your first? Friends or midwife? And why do they think that?

^ ^ that website is really good!

Are there any home birth groups near you? YOU CAN DO IT! :D

Friends who have had babies. They said doctors like you to be in hospital just because they don't know how you'll "handle" it. I don't know if there is a group around here.

Thanks ladies.

Hi, I'm in the UK and had my baby at home 10 weeks ago, it was the most amazing experience! I had lots of people telling me it was dangerous, I wouldn't be able to cope with the pain etc but I just ignored them. I knew I wanted to at least give it a try! Luckily my husband, family and midwives were very supportive and encouraging of it.

Here's my birth story if you want a read :)
https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/755793-got-my-homebirth-d.html

I will definitely having a home birth again next time.

I work with LOTS of first time mums planning home births. I'm not sure I agree with the whole 'you don't know home you'll be' thing. No one knows how their birth will go be it number 1 number 11. What is true is that planning a home opens up your options. If you plan to be at home and change your mind, you can pack up with your birth partners and mws and go to the hospital at any time.....if you plan to be at hospital and hate it I'm afraid the mws won't be coming back home with you!

Hi, I'm in the UK and had my baby at home 10 weeks ago, it was the most amazing experience! I had lots of people telling me it was dangerous, I wouldn't be able to cope with the pain etc but I just ignored them. I knew I wanted to at least give it a try! Luckily my husband, family and midwives were very supportive and encouraging of it.

Here's my birth story if you want a read :)
https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/755793-got-my-homebirth-d.html

I will definitely having a home birth again next time.

That was such a lovely and empowering story! Thanks for sharing!

I am hoping for a home birth for this LO, my second. My daughter was born in an MLU which has since closed and I refuse to go to an acute hospital site to give birth!

That website won't work for me though :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->