Home Birth Stories of Yesteryear!

FlowerFairy

James, Noah, Saskia, Lumi
Reaction score
Ive been talking to my grandma as she had a homebirth back in the 1950's
My Mum was born in Dec 1952 at Home. Grandma said she was sat at home with Grandad and her waters broke. She rang the Midwife and the Matron of Midwives came round and her first words were " No men in the house until after baby has it's first feed" :haha:
Grandad was dispatched to the local pub and Grandmas 2 older children were collected by her sister.
My mum was born 5 hours later with no pain relief. The Matron took the baby out of the room before grandma was even able to know if she was a girl or a boy and cleaned and dressed. She was brought back and popped on the breast. The Matron cleaned up and got my grandma in to bed and then sent the lady from next door to collect my Grandad from the pub!
When my grandad came in the Matron said "Another Girl, Mr Brown" walked out and left :haha:

My grandma is thrilled we're planning a homebirth, she said it was the best of 4 births, Sadly one child was Still born.

Does anyone else have any stories from parents, Aunties, grandparents etc !!
xx

I've not got any stories but it fascinates me how different it was back then! Wonder how different it'll be when my grandchildren have babies!!! Lol.

Sadly I don't know the details but my mum and her 4 siblings and my dad and his ten :)shock:) siblings were all born at home. We lived with my grandparents when we first moved to Yorkshire and I slept in the bedroom where my mum was born. My great auntie Clara was a doula. Not that they called them doulas then! :lol: but she was the woman in the small village who they called to care for the women in labour. The midwife who was obviously very busy with home births in that remote area at the time, would arrive rather like the mws often do at 'modern' doula supported births, when the woman was close to biting unless the 'doula' or mother felt they should be there sooner. The Mw arrived late to my mothers birth as she came straight from another birth in the village and that baby grew up to be a very good friend of my mums. :)

Oh and my parents were both born in 1952 too!! Dad was the oldest boy so she had another 8 children at home over the following decade and mum was the youngest girl and nana had one more baby at home after her.

I don't know the story but my Granny had her sixth baby, in the 60's, on the kitchen floor of their farmhouse. She was 48 and didn't even know she was pregnant until she was in labour!

Again I'm not sure of the exact details but two of my uncles were born at home, my grandma said it was normal that you had your 2nd + children at home, you only went to hospital if there was a problem. They were born in the 60's and my grandma said her homebirths were better than her hospital births. My grandad refused to leave and stayed at watched. My grandad was ahead of the times when it came to men's roles, he helped with the housework and did his share with the kids.

My grandma fully supported my home birth choice, just a shame it dident happen

My mum (shes 49) was born at home and slept in a drawer apparently! :haha:

Again I'm not sure of the exact details but two of my uncles were born at home, my grandma said it was normal that you had your 2nd + children at home, you only went to hospital if there was a problem. They were born in the 60's and my grandma said her homebirths were better than her hospital births. My grandad refused to leave and stayed at watched. My grandad was ahead of the times when it came to men's roles, he helped with the housework and did his share with the kids.

My grandma fully supported my home birth choice, just a shame it dident happen

i think this was the case for my mum. both my brother and sister were born in the 60s. my sister as the 2nd was a home birth.

flubdub. i love ur little signature bug lol. i spent ages trying to squish it :haha::blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->