Home birth vs birth centre-pros and cons?

bky

:(
Reaction score
Not pregnant yet, hell, I'm not even ovulating yet, but I've been thinking and planning for some time already. Mainly as I need to pick a better/more supportive midwife for next time. I've been putting off this post until I was pregnant (determined lurker in this section) but I was trying to talk to OH about having a homebirth last night and I realized he was going to take some convincing. I knew he would, but for a variety of reasons I'm going to be moving fast on finding a midwife once I do get pregnant so I need to know if the self advertised homebirth midwives are ones I want to include in my interview process.

What pros and cons are there to a birth centre birth over a home birth?

For background here we generally choose our midwives (much like independent MW's in the UK except it's free for us to do so), though rotation hospital MW's are an option. A normal pregnancy is preferred to give birth at a birth centre (or home) of which there are various ones throughout the town. I think the earthquake closed at least one, but I can think of 2-3 other ones not too far from me. They have gas and air, a pool room, various monitors, but for anything problematic they'd transfer you to the hospital.

Here is what I've come up with
Birth centre pros: No pool rental/purchase cost and G&A available if I want it (I don't as it doesn't work for me), no clean up, midwives on staff around the clock, free food for a few days (I swear this is the most common reason for not doing it at home here, the most popular facility is the one with the best food :rofl:), visiting hours for DD...not really sure if that is a pro or con tbh.

Birth centre cons: Not at home, away from OH (and DD), dealing with midwives who are not familiar with my history and likely will not be able to help me with some of the post birth issues I expect to face. Have to travel there and back. Will have to hire in home childcare to care for DD.

Home birth pros: At home, no travel either way during labour or several days after (unless medically indicated and then I'd need to transfer to hospital anyhow), my stuff, my bed etc. Possibility of no extra childcare needed for DD. Will have OH around to help rather than just at visiting hours.

Home birth cons: Have to buy/rent pool, extra bedsheets, towels etc. No real clue what I'll need, but thinking in terms of pool and birth mess. DD right now is a terrible sleeper, so I'm concerned about that as well. House is a rental....? As you can see not so many cons here.

I'm pretty sure either way I'm going to need to line up childcare for DD-either to be used or as a just-in-case measure as we have no family, no friends, nowhere for her to go other than daycare or with us. I know OH wants me to go to the hospital again, which I'm open to doing if necessary as they have pools, balls and birthing stools there, but I think they put the fear of god, or rather uterine rupture (this is a VBAC), into him (also in his mind babies come from the hospital IYKWIM).

As far as I know, MWs do clean up any mess after a home birth.
Also, I don't think birth centres have visiting hours, anyone can come any time (well, the ones I had Ruby in, this was the case)
The birth centre I had Ruby in would not accept women who'd had previous C sections...

We're going for home this time, I personally don't see the point of going to a birth centre that can't offer anything more than my home, although for me personally, I'm not looking to have a water birth so the cost pool hire doesn't apply.

This is also my debate.

We are very lucky to have a birth centre in our little town so travel is not really an issue as it is only a few mins away.
Also all my care has been with the midwives based at the centre who would also come out to me at a home birth so having a midwife I know would not be an issue either.

BIRTH CENTRE:
Pros:
- Help available all the time for the first few days (or however long you want to be there) which may be useful in getting breastfeeding settled ?!
- Meals provided :)
- Meet other local mothers
- We have two big dogs at home one of which is very protective so it may be less distressing for him if I don't labour at home
- No cleaning up mess!

Cons:
- Not in my familiar environment

HOME:
Pros:
- Familiar / safe environment - own bed, own shower, etc

Cons:
- Worry about dogs
- Worry about mess
- May feel a little lost / delicate after the euphoria of birth dies down and am left alone with a new baby.

MWs deal with mess at home cept if you have a pool as they wont empty it for you. Major plus for me other than the fact that im at home in my own surroundings and in your own enviroment you feel more in control of the situation, is that you have 2 MWs just for you and your baby :thumbup:

I was transfered from home for blood loss concerns...I was bleeding a lot plus my waters burst in spectacular style all in my living rom of our rented house.

Not a spot of mess anywhere.

A cheapo shower curtain or DIY plastic sheeting and an old sheet and old towels will catch any 'mess'. Pull it up and bung in a black bag when youre done. Easy .

id highly reccomend a HB in NZ in Chch, my sister had my nephew at home last year and my mother had 2 of her 5 kids at home. the MW's are fantastic and its a much more personal service than ive had in the UK for sure. im pretty sure my parents used specific homebirth mw's not sure about my sister

Yeah I think the mess is just a case of preparation, so it's a minor concern for me.
The normal way things are done here is either have the birth at the birthing centre or the hospital and then transfer to the birthing centre for recovery. So after my c-section I transferred to a birthing centre and was there for 3ish days (1-2ish in the hospital). So they do unfortunately have visiting hours, and more restrictive ones for children (like only 1-3pm). So if OH has to watch DD, I'm only going to see them between 1-3pm or so IYSWIM.

I've also got dogs at home Phoenix, but we put them in a kennel for 10 days with the first birth. Was really a good plan. Gave us time to get used to having a baby before having to worry about caring for the dogs. Either way we'll do that again.
Either way I'll have 'my' MW's at the birth (or my MW's backup-last time I had a team, but I'm not going to use them again), but with a birth centre I'll have other midwives after while I'm there.

The only major con I have for a HB is the pool cost and the only pro for a birth centre is that my OH will be more amicable towards it. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->