home birth... what made your mind up?

The hospital ruined my first birth and I didn't bond with my son. Unnecessary interventions and all.

The same as Aliss really ... although I had a natural birth with my first (as in no pain relief) it was a horrendous experience with hospital midwives trying to impose interventions that I didn't want and just feeling so dis-empowered :nope: So when my community midwife suggested that I have my 2nd one at home I leapt on the idea :happydance:

That's it. All booked. Just gotta find myself a pool!!

Now im really doubting it!!! My biggest worry is the distance to the hospital. We are over half hour away. The midwife even said 30 minutes by ambulance. Argh... What to do!??

I really wouldn't think what ifs...even if ur in hospital it takes time so if ur at home they g a call n are ready for u soon as u get there rather then being in hospital waiting for the right ppl

Geegees, I am going with a midwife service that is over an hour away (though the local hospital is 10 minutes should I need it) and I am okay with that. I know some first time mom's go quickly but, generally, first time labor lasts a while so you can see a problem coming and act accordingly. That is what a good midwife helps with. You can do it!

What made my mind up is just going for my scans! I'm treated like cattle at my local hospital, its dingy and soulless, the people who work there are miserable, and like a pp said, I won't be in control. I'll be poked and prodded and made to do whatever they want me to do. Then you get kicked out a few hours later when someone else needs the bed. No thanks.

But I understand being a bit worried about being an hour away by ambulance, if there was a need. For that I'm really not sure what to tell you :nope: I guess only you know what you are most comfortable with.

I've changed my mind. :( going for hospital birth, praying the birthing unit will have space for me.
I was worrying about a home birth... And that's not generally the idea, so going to follow my gut instinct.
Thanks for all your advice.
I'm going natural.. but in a hospital!

I've changed my mind. :( going for hospital birth, praying the birthing unit will have space for me.
I was worrying about a home birth... And that's not generally the idea, so going to follow my gut instinct.

Makes sense. I'd be more nervous if I lived further away from hospital.

Best of luck - hope it all goes brilliantly.

you can still have a natural birth in hospital :)

For me I am hoping for hbac after the cascade of interventions with ds, from induction to emcs in less than 24hrs. And I've since discovered one of the reasons we had emcs was a fetal blood test machine not working!?! It was a horrible experience, not at all the entrance to the world I wanted for my son. (I had planned hypnobirthing, yoga for birth, use of birthing pool etc etc)

There's nothing wrong with that hun, the best birth is the one you are most comfortable with, you need to feel confident and safe where ever you are. If that's not at home then you have nothing to apologize for

If u really want a natural birth but in a hospital make sure ur birthing partner knows exactly what u do and don't want, don't let people push u into things unless it's really needed and listen to ur body.

Hospitals aren't a bad lace to give birth it's just the lack of care in a lot and being rushed because they are busy or want to finish their shift

I am going to talk to my MW about a home birth this afternoon, until now we were thinking hospital but I feel like a birth at home would be much nicer, more relaxing for hubby, me and baby. We live about a 5 minute walk from the hospital so I feel that even if something went wrong or we changed our mind we could go to the hospital.

the main deciding factor for me was if i have another hospital birth my DH will have to leave us. i had a totally fine birthing experience in hospital, in fact it was great- but i felt horrible once my DH had essentially been told to feck off home. he'd just had a baby too- that was the one time we should all have been together and he wasn't there. also, im less likely to panic at home.

the main deciding factor for me was if i have another hospital birth my DH will have to leave us. i had a totally fine birthing experience in hospital, in fact it was great- but i felt horrible once my DH had essentially been told to feck off home. he'd just had a baby too- that was the one time we should all have been together and he wasn't there. also, im less likely to panic at home.

Exactly this. I had an amazing hospital birth but it would be lovely to hop into my own bed with my husband and toddler and relax like a family, rather than be watching the clock all night on a busy ward x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->