Home birth?

berniegroves

A daughter and a son
Reaction score
Hi,
So a home birth has appealed to me since i got pregnant, but i hadn't really considered it properly as lots of people put me off saying how dangerous they are and any woman is irresponsible to consider one.

I hate hospitals and really don't want to have to stay in a hospital for any length of time after having the baby. We went for a tour of our local hospital a few weeks ago (Southmead in Bristol) and i was so tense before going for the tour that i actually had an upset stomach. And that was just the thought of being in the hospital for a tour!

I admit the Birthing Suite was okay, but they only have 4 rooms and other than that i would be on the delivery suite which i hated and freaked me out. They kept making the point that the birthing suite is often full and so most women deliver on the delivery suite etc etc.

I know that if everything goes smoothly then you can leave the hospital after 6 hours but that still seems like a long time to me! And i know that in hospitals the rate of interventions and tears etc are higher.

I know a home birth isn't a guarantee as there may be a reason i'd need to go into hospital (a 10 minute car ride) and i accept that as i understand the priority is to safely deliver the baby. And that roughly 40% of first time mums will be transferred to a hospital for various reasons. But am i crazy to think that still means that 60% are getting to deliver sucessfully at home.

I spoke to my midwife today and she didn't try to put me off but she wasn't supportive either. I said we had thought about it for ages now and i felt i knew myself well enough to know i'd be more relaxed at home but that i was sensible and knew my plans may need to change. But she just kept saying to think it over and go back to her next week. But iam almost 37 weeks pregnant, so don't feel i have loads of time.

Now i just don't know what to do. I know i'd be more relaxed at home, which to me means the labour would be easier as i'd be in my own environment. But now i have all the 'what if's' flying around my head.

Has anyone else considered home birth? Or had one?

I've read all the statistics and know that technically it is just as safe as a hospital birth. But i am just doubting myself.

I just really REALLY hate hospitals and that is freaking me out more than the labour and delivery itself!

Sorry for the long rant, i'm just feeling confused.

hun most of the women in this part of the forum have had or are planning Homebirths, some have had to transfer to hospital others successfully birthed at home.
im planning my first homebirth but this is my 3rd baby and i was at a Midwife led birthing unit for the first 2.
How does your OH feel about it or your birthing partner? theres lots of info here hopefully someone else will be along to help in a bit

It's my first and I am hoping for a homebirth (water)

I am lucky that 2 of my friends are midwives so I have the opportunity to talk to people I really trust about it and they both recommend it full heartedly, like you I am near hospital in my mind you will be getting closer supervision at home with a midwife than in hospital where the medical staff will be looking after a number of women. I say go for it xxxxx

I had a homebirth for similiar reasons... The thought of going into the hospital and not feeling in control of the situation or who would be caring for me scared me, and I knew I would be more comfortable at home. I think if you are feeling that a homebirth would be best for you, then you should go for it! Nobody can tell you how things will turn out in the end, but I think being comfortable, feeling safe and feeling in control of your birth are very important aspects that help lead to a positive birth experience. Just my thoughts!

This will be my first baby, and I am planning a homebirth. My midwife is coming round tomorrow to book me in. She is very supportive.
I do not have a fear or dislike of hospitals at all. I just feel that homebirths are actually safer than hospital births. You get 2 midwives present, compared to having to share staff at the hospital. You will not experience interventions such as induction, augmentation, instrumental delivery and C-section (as they arent available at home). You will be more relaxed, as you are in your own environment. After the birth, you, OH and baby can snuggle up in bed, rather than being left alone when your OH gets sent home from the hospital.
I think homebirths are wonderful, but I am not naive, I do understand that I may have to be transferred into hospital (5 minute drive) if I develop complications.

I think that if you are serious about having a homebirth, you should ask your midwife to book you in for one immediately (considering you are already 37 weeks), and if you change your mind when the time comes, thats fine. Good luck!! :flower:

I have been informed that home birth is the same, if not safer then hospital birth. I cannot have one; to expensive, but I hope you consider it 9you can pretty much do whatever you like, candles, music, tv, computer, bath etc)

I think a big part of it is where you feel comfortable. If youre going to be freaking out in hospital then your body will be pumping out adrenaline which will be working against you while labouring. If youre at home then you might be more relaxed so everything will go a lot better.

Im near Bristol too and go to St Mikes. I dont have an issue with hospitals if Im ill but Im not so Im not gonna go into that godawful place unless I actually need some medical intervention.

Theres a home birthing group on Oct 2nd in Bristol https://www.bristolhomebirth.org.uk/ Maybe you could go there and meet others for support with your decision.

People say a lot of stuff about home births but its just talk. Its safe and normal to give birth at home. I think the thought birthing *anywhere* is going to be a bit scary. Youre always going to be anxious that the baby is ok and all that. Surround yourself with positive stories of home births and I hope you come to a decision which you are happy with.

x

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses.
I think i am going to go for it and book the midwife for a homebirth and get them to bring round their box of bits they need to leave at the house. Then if i change my mind when i'm actually in labour i can go into hospital.
Thanks again
x

Good luck!!!

I had a homebirth with my second son 17 months ago.

I'm aiming for a natural birth at my midwife run centre so not a hospital but close to a home birth.
My oh is dead against a home birth so this is my happy middle.
It is better for labour progression to be up and about and getting baby to put pressure on cervix by doing certain positions, any birthing thing you read will say that, so I wouldn't want to be flat on my back in a hospital bed.
I'm not going to pin my hopes on it though as I know things can change but in an idea world that's what I'm hoping for.

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses.
I think i am going to go for it and book the midwife for a homebirth and get them to bring round their box of bits they need to leave at the house. Then if i change my mind when i'm actually in labour i can go into hospital.
Thanks again
x

Hooray good luck with it all, keep us informed xxxx

It seems that you can always change your mind and head to the hospital once labour starts (obviously as long as you aren't too far into it) but I can understand feeling more comfortable in your own space than a hospital. I originally wanted a hospital birth but as I got closer to my due date (and had a hospital tour, spoke more with my midwives etc) I completely changed my mind. I would much rather have a home birth if I can. I understand things don't always go as planned but I am lucky in that I have a lot of support (plus I literally live across the street from a hospital which makes me feel very comfortable as this is my first baby).

Good luck with everything and I hope you have a wonderful labour and birth:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->