Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

hahah I love it!! I'm kinda jealous now that I'm not having a pool lol!!!!

I'm usually not a bath person either, I like the idea but then 15 mins later I want to get out. My husband however could spend hours in a bath, this is his idea of heaven, a bath that never goes cold! But I'm loving it, no boredom setting in! But I may have to fight him for it.

Sounds brilliant! And no messing about filling it when you do start. Was it expensive to hire?

Urgh i love it i looked into it but seems more expensive to hire than to buy a normal one :shrug: I just dont know.

My La Bassine was filled at 9am and covered till I got in at 8pm and we still had to cool it down!! It was scorching hot!

Sounds brilliant! And no messing about filling it when you do start. Was it expensive to hire?

Yes! Well maybe not for what you get and for how long. It is 250quid for 4 weeks, with the option of a 5th week in that price if I need it, so long as I let them know by the end of week 4. Plus courier charges or you can pick it up. The kits come with a pump to empty them and a hose to fill them, thermometer, jug, spa tablets, lid, sieve.

It is cheaper if you don't get the heater or the filter.

But certainly more expensive than buying an inflatable one, but my cat would have killed one of those in seconds, plus I liked the idea of being able to use it for a while.

Hi,

My midwife is been fully suportive of the water birth & homebirth so far, she said that they would try & get someone out who is fully trained in water birth to attend me. But it may not be posible if there are quite a few women who go in to labour at the same time. She is gona try her best to be there at the birth & that if there is a midwife fully trained in waterbirth able to attend she will let her be the lead midwife.

I have written my birth plan already tho i havent shown the midwife yet & it does state that i would rather stay in the pool.

Hi Vicki - Big welcome!

I'm so pleased your MW are really supportive.

I just want to give you a headsup - and I have been thinking about weather or not it is benificial to you to make this post or not to you.

On the one hand you would be totally unware of potential problems you might encounter, and it might make you better as a result to deal with them - but on the other hand, knowing (for me esp), was really important in the fight, if there was one.

My reasons are in noway auspicious.

I'll stop mincing my words. So my thoughts are that your nice midwifes (and I hope that they never let you down), are thinking they can disway you from having a homebirth slowly.

"We might not have the staff availible" (lots of the girls have ancountered this)
"We don't have midwives in attendance trained in homewaterbirths" This is what really started to make alarm bells with me - A water birth is NO DIFFERENT to a land birth! NO more difficult, no more challenging.

If you want a waterhomebirth, or homebirth then you can do it no matter what - as long as you feel comfortable. Plus medically is is not different - only water. Your baby doesn't need air to breath, untill they encounter the air and their reflex is activated. It is only when they encounter air for the first time, they HAVE the reflex to breath. i know few mothers who would keep there baby submereged for longer than is right for them or baby.

All I'm saying, is beware of all those who tell you they might not be able to help you because of a small reason like this. It's just not true.

I hope that I don't discolour your thoughts or your pregancy because of this post - all I wish to do is make you informed - and this will empower you.
xxx
[/QUOTE]

Hi there,

Thanks, no you havent discoloured my thoughts on pregnancy or birth at all. I've actually been a pritty regualr visiter to the homebirth site www.hombirth.org.uk for quite a few years so i'm pritty clued up. I was already for a fight when i told my MW i wanted a home birth she was quite happy about it.

Even tho the above site has said to get someone non emotionally related to fight my battles for me i dont have anyone who i could ask to do this. I'm getting my sister to fight my battles for me when i go in to labour, thats if i have any problems with them sending out a MW or what ever. I'm getting her to read that site & learn the broken record routine. I'm quite confidant she can do it, we work together & she has a job where she has to be quite hard faced.

I know my MW has said that i may be asked to get out to deliver the baby but in my head i keep telling saying to myself that they can ask but it dosent mean i have to comply.

I'm pritty strong willed myself & i'm determined that this baby is going to be born at home in water, as long as it dosent decide to come too early.

My mums phoned to to tell me that my birthing pool has arrived. I cant wait to go & pick it up from her house & see what its like.

UB - it you are using it to relaxing in you will definitely get your money's worth. I would have soaked in mine every night if it didnt take 2hrs to fill! :lol:

This thread moves too bloomin fast for me!!! I shall go back and catch up in a minute :haha: In the meantime, hello to the newbies!!!! :D

As for me, my pool arrived this morning :D Renting an inflatable pool (it's one of the 20 use ones), but as it only has one liner, I wont be able to try it out :( I really wish I could've afforded a rigid one just to wallow in all day, but never mind, this one was really good £80 for 5 weeks :D

And had my final growth scan today. Watched as bubs sucked away on his/her fingers, it was too cute :D Estimated weight of 3.4kg just now (7lb4) but I'm not even gonna bother going by this, I know how inaccurate they can be! Was lovely just to get a final look again tho, even if it's poor wee face was all squished up lol

I can't believe I'm gonna have a fully-cooked baby in 2 days time! I really don't know where the time has gone! And as for trying to cram in hypnobirthing before the big day - well I'm failing epically at it.....although I do feel a lot more relaxed about things to come, and know that I will get through it :D

Hope you're all well ladies xx

Robin is quite keen on that pool now :lol: He's enjoying the idea that he can sit and watch tv in it with some beer :rofl: Thank you!!!

Robin is quite keen on that pool now :lol: He's enjoying the idea that he can sit and watch tv in it with some beer :rofl: Thank you!!!

I so feel like I should have a glass of something cold and alcoholic in my hand when I'm in there! Which reminds me, I must put a bottle of bubbly in the fridge in anticipation.

Exciting that your pool is there Janie, and that you got to see your baby again.

Hi there,

Thanks, no you havent discoloured my thoughts on pregnancy or birth at all. I've actually been a pritty regualr visiter to the homebirth site www.hombirth.org.uk for quite a few years so i'm pritty clued up. I was already for a fight when i told my MW i wanted a home birth she was quite happy about it.

Even tho the above site has said to get someone non emotionally related to fight my battles for me i dont have anyone who i could ask to do this. I'm getting my sister to fight my battles for me when i go in to labour, thats if i have any problems with them sending out a MW or what ever. I'm getting her to read that site & learn the broken record routine. I'm quite confidant she can do it, we work together & she has a job where she has to be quite hard faced.

I know my MW has said that i may be asked to get out to deliver the baby but in my head i keep telling saying to myself that they can ask but it dosent mean i have to comply.

I'm pritty strong willed myself & i'm determined that this baby is going to be born at home in water, as long as it dosent decide to come too early.

My mums phoned to to tell me that my birthing pool has arrived. I cant wait to go & pick it up from her house & see what its like.

Cool! That's excellent. It just brings big smiles to my face! You are well and trulely clued up!... Bet you are sooo excited!
xxx

OT but - Janie, your new avatar is gorgeous! Look at that face!! :happydance:

I had a dream about the birth pool last night. It was huge, pratically a swimming pool, i had to use ladder to get in to it. I really wish it could have been true lol

Hi girls well it has been confirmed today that i have obstetric cholestasis and will be induced in 2 weeks time :( good luck all on your home births :D

take me off the list again please lisa i wont be back this time :(

Laura X

Awww Laura, sorry to hear that :hugs:

All the best for 2 weeks time xxx

I had a dream about the birth pool last night. It was huge, pratically a swimming pool, i had to use ladder to get in to it. I really wish it could have been true lol

How amazing would that be?! Haha I think most of my pals think it's a swimming-pool sized effort, they keep asking to come round for a swim :dohh:

Photos of the rigid pool being constructed, if anyone is interested.

'scuse the photo of me actually in it, but it was the only one that gave an accurate sense of scale. I have no shame!

The first photo is of the boxes (5 flat cardboard boxes, a plastic storage box with hoses, filter, jug, thermometer, instructions, etc, and a wooden crate with the heater in it). The long thin photo is a kind of picture book step by step of it going together. Hopefully it is not too small to see what is going on.

It was really easy to put up, the panels just slide into each other and once you have the first and second one attached together then it stands up itself. There is a foam base. Once all the sides are in then you pop the shaped liner in, which hooks over the tops of the panels. Then you just pop the handrail pieces in place to finish it.

After that it is filling (which did take a while) and then setting up the heater and filter. That was quite easy, although it did get air bubbles in it so it took two attempts (just switching the heater off, pouring the water out and then refilling it with the jug). Then a floaty foam lid goes over the water.

A capful of treatment liquid went in at first, and then we have to put an oxygen tablet in each day. After a week we put another capful of water treatment stuff in. And neither of them smells chemical-y, which I was a little worried they would.

It keeps the heat quite well, with the heater only coming on every now and again to keep it at 37°C (you can set between 35-40 I think). When the heater is on it moves the water about a bit which is quite nice. It took a while to get up to 37 (they say put in water 30-35 degrees), but I guess since it is set up all the time that doesn't matter overly. It seems good at keeping it there.

I don't think I'm going to be out of it much, I will look like a prune! It is sooooo nice to be weightless and have enough room to move around. I feel a bit hemmed in in the bath these days! And it is big enough for both of us to get in too.

Hope that is a little help to anyone who is interested in hiring a rigid pool.

<edit> Oh, and the things I am leaning on are 'noodle' swimming floats which are fab. If I have them behind me I can use them like arm rests. Not a consideration for an inflatable pool I guess but with a rigid one I would recommend them. They are only a few quid on eBay.

Thanks for this, this is the pool I'm interested in hiring.

Sorry Laura, hope your birth goes smoothly even if you can't be at home :hugs:

Bean is incredibly active today, she's making me shake with her movements....She also has hiccups now, so I think she's getting frustrated - typically, she's decided to continue being indecisive and is laying across my belly most of the time, feet on my right, head on the left (though it feels like she might have her head up a bit...)... I'd really love to know what position she's actually in, because I can't believe she's this flexible :shrug::lol:

Nothing interesting to add on the homebirth front, just thought I'd drop in and let you know I'm still here :lol: and still looking for a darn pool!!!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->