Home doppler

Hoping4peanut

Reaction score
Cautiously moving over to 2nd tri.

I borrowed a Doppler from a friend. 12 weeks 6 days and I can't find the heartbeat. I wish now I had never gotten one. Should I be worried? Freaking out now

Honestly, no, I wouldn't be, especially if you've likely just had a scan and all was fine. There is a reason there has been a call to ban these things. Untrained people don't know how to use them and they cause all sorts of problems. In my 1st pregnancy, which was 5 years ago, they wouldn't even try before 16 weeks. This time around, the midwives have already said they won't even try at the 16 week appointment because it causes too much panic when they can't find the heart beat (and even with training, they can't always at that point). I was in the hospital yesterday for my 12 week scan and I had to go to the ward to collect my notes. They sat me down in the assessment unit and there was a mum there who was definitely in 3rd tri and it still took the midwife about 10 minutes to find the heart beat. I would just hand it back to your friend and assume all is fine rather than driving yourself nuts.

Do it up the hooha! No diff than a transvag ultrasound...I did it with my twins to hear them at 10 weeks... put lube in finger of glove or condom...put Doppler wand in and then lube up outer part of glove and stick it in...tilt up a bit and u should hear....it's easier than trying to find baby through muscle and flub ( I'm Over weight lol )

Let us know if u get it!!

I wouldn't worry! I was also told that they don't even tend to do it at the 16 week app now as causes worry! They struggled to find mine at 18 weeks x

Do it up the hooha! No diff than a transvag ultrasound...I did it with my twins to hear them at 10 weeks... put lube in finger of glove or condom...put Doppler wand in and then lube up outer part of glove and stick it in...tilt up a bit and u should hear....it's easier than trying to find baby through muscle and flub ( I'm Over weight lol )

Let us know if u get it!!

I always wondered if you could do this!

Huni please don't worry I got one at 12 weeks I'm now 15 weeks and only found it a few days ago now I know where I'm looking I do find it easier everyday however it did take a few weeks.
However I did read on so many occasions midwives have difficult picking the heartbeat up to at times and some don't get to here untill nearer to the 20 week mark x

Nope, I wouldn't worry. At this stage that little heart is so small.

No, I wouldn't worry. My husband is a family doctor in a clinic that also does OB. He has been trained to use a doppler, but still can't always find the heartbeat. He says that it is 'possible' from around 9-10 weeks, but that he doesn't really feel confident until 13 weeks (and even then it can be hard to find). And that is with a medical grade doppler and professional training.

Thanks ladies. I have my NT scan Monday so hopefully that will alleviate some of this anxiety I am holding. I was doing so much better.

And the Doppler is going back to my friend...too stressful

it took me forever to find the baby at first. Its a lot lower than you'd think!
It helped me to youtube videos on doppler how-tos!!

But like you said, if it causes too much stress, I'd definitely give it back!

Glad the doppler is going back! I really think they just cause stress early on.

My husband has been wanting to bring his clinic doppler home to try on me lately. The conversation keeps going like this.
Him: I want to try, I might be able to find it.
Me: Can you guarantee you can find it.
Him: No, we're still really early. There's a good chance I won't find it, but I'd still like to try.
Me: No way.
Him: :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"