Home education/schooling

Sounds like fun Summer Rain. I hope the LA stay away :D

I guess we're 'officially' home educating now, as today would have been Alice's first week. We're fending off lots of "Are you looking forward to school?" comments. No change for us really, as we're not doing anything formally yet.

So just a question when you unschool how does that work?

Also I should be thinking about nursery places at the moment for dd is there anything I 'should' be doing regarding home schooling right now?

Just another update :) we are planning to start our home ed again tomorrow. We have had nearly a year of unschooling but now we're going back to semi-structured. If this doesn't work out we will go back to unschooling again. We have got a mix of CGP workbooks (only for ICT this time), Galore park textbooks, Carol Vorderman workbooks (just for science for my 6 year old), Schofield and Sims English workbooks for my 6 year old, Conquer Maths (it's an online interactive maths curriculum), Andrew Brodie Geography and Spelling photocopiable resource/teacher books and a photocopiable history resource book by the same publisher as Andrew Brodie for my 6 year old. So a real selection :). At the moment we are not on the LA radar despite being on it before as they decided to give up and completely stop contacting us but of course it might not stay that way forever because they may change staff in the future, but for now it is so nice to be able to home educate purely on our terms let me tell you! Xx

I'm always torn between unschooling and structured, so now I work on the basis of semi structured. We plan to do a little of the core subjects everyday and some other bits but if an outing or better offer comes up we take it, lol. So glad the LA are off your back summer! Sounds like you have a great selection of materials to be getting n with. We use Miquon maths, cgp science, history, geography ( think I may include French this year) cgp& Collins English and oxford reading tree. I've never really thought to use on line curriculums but am interested as my eldest autistic son loves working from the pc.

How are you finding home ed with an extra little person?

Xxx

I love unschooling but I find my kids work better with a little bit of direction as to what subjects they do on a particular day, also with three kids of school age it just makes things a bit easier to manage, we just pick two subjects a day and don't have any set times we study them in just one subject will be designated to the morning and one to the afternoon. Then if something comes up and we need to go out etc we don't worry about it. I'm still operating on the policy that as long as they finish the book by the end of the year it's all good :thumbup: .

I used to be against online curriculums but it got to a point where we'd tried all the maths workbooks and worksheets and my boys were still getting bored, then someone told me about conquer maths and they have a 40% off code 'homeed' for home educating parents. I only found this out recently but apparently if you phone them after paying and say you're a home educating parent they will give you a teacher account which means you can adjust more settings and so on than a parents account. I'm not sure how much it is for one child but for all my three last year it was £110 in total. It really was money well spent as all three boys finished their whole year's worth of maths work in late May or early June and my second eldest who hates maths and struggled with workbooks etc because he just didn't get certain concepts, he chose to do a year ahead and really excelled. His average score was 91% and he got loads of platinum certificates, which I printed out. The only annoying thing is they don't get any certificate for finishing the whole year,so they were a bit disappointed with that.

My three month old isn't too bad, he is quite happy to sit in his bouncy chair ot on my lap while I help the older ones with their work, it's my two and a half year old who is a handful when we're trying to get work done lol. Xx

hi ladies! subscribing - we plan to homeschool our sons :)

Is this thread still a "thing"? :)

My son is 4 (will be 5 in August). We have been doing some homeschooling and instead of going to a public school he will stay home with me (and possibly eventually a nanny during "school hours" while I also go to school).

He starts Kindergarten this year. We are in the process of enrolling with FLVS (FL Virtual School). This was a compromise with my husband and myself. DH wants more of a structured learning experience w/ curricula etc. I wanted DS at home when learning. Win-win.

Hi, I think we all got busy educating our LO's, I know I did with also having my fourth bubba in Sept and ds1 needing me to provide him some routes to learning and ds2 starting Nursery (which we took him out of after half a term) and needing some provision educationally as well as hes rather bright and chasing at his brothers heels on the learning front

I have come back again. Tried William in a year of school. Its not working out at all. I am more shocked than I ever thought I could be at the lies by schools. The lack of any work too. Its just not for my kids at all. So we deiced to de reg him soon, he has 3 weeks left of school. So will let him finish it off. He dosnt like it but will go to the end. Bit scared as I have so many kids in the house now. There are more benefits at home than at school, plus we have religious aspect in schools here I am not happy about and can do only home school to avoid.

Im very interested in himschooling my daughter whos nine. I am fing tired of the teachers doing nothing to ensure my daughter feels safe and happy at school. Any info about homeschooling would be appreciated! I live in canada:):)

Just found this thread and thought i would subscribe so I don't lose it. My little girl is only 15 months so still a while to go but home schooling is something I am really interested in doing!

Three of mine are now going to school, a small private school a few miles away. I wasn't keen on the idea but their dad wanted to try it out, if for any reason we are unhappy we will go back to totally home ed. My eldest who is going to be y7 age is still very much home educated. Also have moved to a completely different borough now so finally free of any risk of being bothered by that horrid woman from that council again, she hadn't bothered us since 2013 but there was always that worry.I've been told she is even worse now and reports families to social services for really petty reasons, reading books she doesnt like as an example. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->