Homebirth & Posterior Babies

Athomemum

Reaction score
I'm due my second baby in a few weeks and the midwife has said he's lying direct OP at the moment. I had a posterior baby with my first son so this time I have been trying lots of OFP tecniques, reading spinning babies etc. My HB MW is great and said it's not too much of a concern as I had a good 2nd stage last time and didnt require intervention, she also said second babies tend to turn to an anterior position more quickly and easily than first babies so all in I'm feeling OK about it but I still have a niggling nervousness inside and was wondering if anyone would care to share tips or stories about postive posterior labours :flower:

I had a fast and furious OP delivery with my son. He never turned and came out facing up. If I wasn't in hospital starting an induction for high blood pressure I could have easily had him at home!
If this baby ends up back to back, I will keep as active as possible again. I did my whole labour on my feet last time, except for a little stint kneeling over the bed to get rid of the ant lip. My mum also helped me to do pelvic rocking through the contractions which really helped. I pushed on my back with my legs up as it felt the most comfortable, but I think that part is different for everyone. Good luck, bet it all goes just fine! Xx

One of my good friends had a birth centre birth in Canada and her 2nd baby was OP. She said that although the labour was more intense than the first time with an OA baby, that it was much easier the 2nd time arond- probably because her and her body had given birth vaginally before and so both 'knew' what to do.

My middle baby was OP all the way through pregnancy and until the last push when she turned and came out. My youngest was breech to 37 weeks and then 'perfectly' positioned till labour when he went OP. he turned when I changed position in late labour and was born 20 mins later. 2 points: Firstly, I think back to back had become the new breech since that variation of normal has all but disappeared into theatre. And secondly, I truly believe some babies need to enter the pelvis in a 'non optimal' position because we don't all have identical pelvis and innards. It's your baby's journey. Trust them.

My son was posterior my entire pregnancy (due to an anterior placenta, he just didn't want to turn lol) and I never tried any spinning or trying to get him to change positions or anything. I figured he'd do what he needed to when the time came. And he did. He was posterior my whole labor (which was completely natural and yes it was back labor since he was back to back *ouch*) but he turned himself before I actually gave birth to him! So they do usually know what to do to get themselves in the right position :)

Agreed that babies do tend to do what they need to do in order to get out safely.

However, if it were me, I'd still be cautious about posture, the way I sit/lay, pelvic tilts, etc, just to do what I can in the case that I contributed to baby's positioning.

I have a friend who birthed an OP baby WITH a nuchal hand (at home, unassisted). I don't envy her, although my almost 10lb boy had a 15.5" head which was pretty much equal to her teeny tiny baby's head and hand put together. LOL

Well he remained OP throughout labour which lasted about 2 hours, I asked to be examined 7 minutes before he was born and he was still OP but he turned very quickly during my second stage and came out facing the right way, safely, at home :happydance: All in I had an awesome birth experience, would do it again in a minute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->