Homebirth Questions

brunettebimbo

Mum of 2 Boys!
Reaction score
Hubby and I have just decided to TTC number 2. My first labour was 32 hours long which resulted in failed ventouse, failed forceps and a horrendous episiotomy. I lost all control close to the end. The pain became too much and I was exhausted.

I want to explore all the information regarding home birth. I am terrified of another episiotomy. My last caused infection after infection and I can't do that again.

Basically all I want to know is where can I find most information? Hubby is worried about the thought of birthing at home

Thanks in advance

This is a brilliant website:https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

..but the best thing to do it to go to your next midwife appt together with a bunch of questions written down. Get your husband to write down all the worries he has and ask them. My husband was totally anti-homebirth before he went to a hypno-birth class and spoke to the midwife about his worries. We had our second baby at home and it was perfect(my waters broke early with my first baby, so had to go to hospital).

I recommend hypno birthing whatever you decide- although I didn't do it properly in labour, it really helped with my approach to 'pain' in labour etc.

good luck- home birth is wonderful!! :)

I wonder if a water birth would be best for trying to avoid an episiotomy?

I had a horrible episiotomy as well with infection and soooo much pain. I am planning a water birth and hopeful this will help :)

I was a completely natural home birth waaaay long ago in 1977! I'm just 3 1/2 weeks pregnant now, but I already talked to my mom about birthing options. She said I was a MUCH easier, and joyful birth whereas my older and younger brothers' births in hospitals were terrifying. My younger brother had birth complications due to the ambulance drive and had to stay in the hospital for about a week after.

I'm considering a dry home birth or a water birth. My mom is very supportive of this (or any way I want to give birth) but the father of my baby is scared to death because he's never even held a baby.

I don't know how to find the right midwife to see if I would be "low risk" enough for homebirth, so I'll be watching this thread and also researching on my own. Good luck to everyone else considering this option!

PS- My mom said she moved positions intuitively onto her hands and knees and I came right out with no problem. She also said her contractions were never worse than intestinal flu and all three of her births only lasted five hours. :) She said it's nothing to be afraid of and all you need around you is CALM WOMEN.

Also check out: https://homebirthersandhopefuls.com/

I can't advise on the episiotomy side of things but I had a planned dry home birth with my first almost a year ago and I believe it was the being at home around calm people, in my own environment, that kept things going smoothly. My labour with my DD was only 5.5 hours long start to finish, and I got to go to bed (my own bed!) within 2 hours! Best thing I ever did. Would recommend it to anyone. I had the gas and air brought to me too with the second midwife. Good luck xx

I'm so sorry your first experience didn't go well :hugs: Totally understandable why you would be left with fears and concerns etc. I absolutely agree with Lillian re hypnobirthing - it really does help you to calm the scary thoughts going round in your head and helps you to build confidence in yourself and your body. You don't need to start doing it as soon as you become pregnant - I waited til about 26ish weeks before starting but I guess you could start earlier if you have serious worries you need to deal with. If you can afford to pay for classes rather than just the books then talking to the teacher really helps, they do ask you to bring up fears, worries etc out into the open and they discuss it all with you so for me anyway, that really helped. Here is a website but google practitioners in your area too: https://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/

Another thing you can do is perineal massage. It would be a good idea to check with your MW that you can still do it considering your history, but if you are able to then you can massage the area inside your vagina to get the muscles and everything to be more supple so when the baby is born it should all stretch much more easily and can really help to avoid the need for an episiotomy. Here is a PDF my MW gave me:
https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files\090924perinealmassage.pdf

Water is also supposed to be helpful both in terms of pain relief, keeping you calm and also avoiding episiotomy.

Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->