Homebirth vs Midwife Led Birthing Unit

Jims_Girl

Mum of Two~Teen&Baby
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I would really like a homebirth using hypnotherapy and maybe my tens and a bit of gas & air as a back up...
My daughter was born 13 years ago, delivery was not a great experience for me... I was terrified and panicked with each contraction. I had the most unsympathetic midwife during labour, and was injected with pethidine without my consent and after me saying I really didn't want it... It was a long slow delivery... I felt that I was being told I wasn't working hard enough for only being 5cm after 18hours instead of being congratulated for getting that far....my body started pushing on it's own, my midwife told me I was forcing it (until she examined me!)

So apart from not a 'nice' experience it was just slow (43 hours) with syntocin... No other problems...

So this time I've found a lovely little BC... But noise, bright lights and environment concern me... My solution, is to have a lovely, peaceful homebirth.... No body rushing me or putting me down... And I don't have to worry about where my daughter will be.... But husband and other family members aren't too keen...

I was hoping I could gain a bit of pushing power ( :) ) from you lovely ladies... Could you give me a positive homebirth and a negative pointer about home births please...

(my nearest hospital is 15 minute run from my house and 25minutes from the birthing centre)

Thank you :) I would love a homebirth but I wouldn't want to force it in my husband - but I can persuade him with your help :)

The best thing to do is to present your husband with the facts surrounding homebirth, and then talk about it. Find out what his fears are, and whether they are founded in fact or perception. Most people have a perception of homebirth that is far from how it actually is.

Book: Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth is the one I like the best.

Documentaries: Business of Being Born, Pregnant in America, Orgasmic Birth

Websites, there are loads of them

My mother wasn't too keen as well, but once she started doing some research, she totally turned around. You may end up having to tell your family that while they don't agree with your decision, you want them to support you, that you have made the best decision for you, and your baby.

There is no difference in a homebirth and a birth centre. In fact you will get nothing but one on one care at home. With both if something goes wrong (usually labour not pregressing fast enough) they will saend you to hospital, so the same outcome at home as at the bc. I had a hb with my toddler. She was my first. I had a 6 hour labour. A bit of gas and air for placenta and stiches and a birthpool in my living room.

Re: what samantha said. I had a natural birth at homw in water and breastfeed. My toddler is a cloth nappy baby too but ina may's book is about 100 steps to fafr for me!!! The chapter on a friend getting naked with the labouring mother to feel trhe labour as well is weird. You have to seriously be embracing your inner hippy for that book!

Re: what samantha said. I had a natural birth at homw in water and breastfeed. My toddler is a cloth nappy baby too but ina may's book is about 100 steps to fafr for me!!! The chapter on a friend getting naked with the labouring mother to feel trhe labour as well is weird. You have to seriously be embracing your inner hippy for that book!

You crack me up!

I will be the first to admit that Ina May is a total crunchy granola hippie. But the more important thing in the book, is her results. She shows how given the right support a woman can birth without intervention at home safely.

I agree that there is really no difference in a lot of ways, I had a birth centre birth first time round and am planning a HB this time as it just makes sense to me rather than to travel to the MLU which is in an over-capacity hospital and only has 6 rooms so I'd highly likely end up on the labour ward anyway. (I've moved since I had my first - the birth centre where we lived before was not connected to a hospital and had more rooms!)

Thank you so much... The hippy thing made me laugh - I can't show him that, he'd run a mile :)
He's very much warmed to the idea and is dropping in conversation "if we stay at home..."
I'm seeing my midwife next week so I think a good conversation with her and see how we feel after... All feels very exciting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->