Homebirths - Selfish or selfless?

Having two hospital births I can see why people would do a home birth...nothing wrong with it. My gran had her kids all home birthed she had 4 kids at home as she had to look after the rest at the same time my grandad would be working. I needed help both times so wouldnt have gotten home birth but fair play if you do it. Not selfish just educated.

Are they big on home births in NI?
I like the idea of birthing centres, we have a few here, do you? There were loads years ago, that tended to be the place you'd go when delivering. I suppose they're expensive to run and maybe not allowed to be understaffed.
I can see that home births would be good for the level of care having 2 midwives with you constantly.

hm. i had high bp during labour with amelie. it went when she was born and im 100% sure it was anxiety related. with roman i declined bp monitoring until i was about ready to push & it was fine. i'd like to think i know my own body more than a stranger does.

what if more and more mothers started opting for homebirths and in became the majority... is there enough midwives out there availible to offer that 1:1 care and time assisting one person iykwim ?

personally i much prefered being left to it whilst in hopsital ...with my midwife popping in every now again until i reached the last stage..... so if she was able to help 3 or 4 mothers in between that time than i think thats a great thing. if that makes sense.

x

This^^^
Personally I'd have preferred it no one being in the room , I'm the sort of person if I'm Ill or in pain I'd rather be alone not pandered to. The looks I gave my hubby whilst trying to massage me! Hate to think how my face looked contracting! You'd never get me on one born!

hm. i had high bp during labour with amelie. it went when she was born and im 100% sure it was anxiety related. with roman i declined bp monitoring until i was about ready to push & it was fine. i'd like to think i know my own body more than a stranger does.

But I felt completely fine! Suppose thats why they call bp the silent killer. I was looking forward after my easy birth to get up and go home , i felt so elated but had to stay in. I self discharged thinking I was fine and though once I was home it would come down but after my midwife visit the following day she wanted to call an ambulance stright away and have me admitted. Within 2 hrs it it raised that much, my heart rate gone haywire too I was given an emergency magnesium drip and spent the next 3 days in intensive care. I never once felt ill, I just wondered what the fuss was about.
It's funny but the other day my friend cried whilst admitting she knew how bad I had got, obviously she monitored me by phone call with the job she does and thought I was heading for a stroke. Quite scary looking back as my brother has had a heart attack , sister has been on beta blockers most of her life and my dad died after a run of 9 strokes! Im still here to tell the tale! I never once had high bp through the whole pregnancy.

Having two hospital births I can see why people would do a home birth...nothing wrong with it. My gran had her kids all home birthed she had 4 kids at home as she had to look after the rest at the same time my grandad would be working. I needed help both times so wouldnt have gotten home birth but fair play if you do it. Not selfish just educated.

I like the idea of birthing centres, we have a few here, do you? There were loads years ago, that tended to be the place you'd go when delivering. I suppose they're expensive to run and maybe not allowed to be understaffed.
I can see that home births would be good for the level of care having 2 midwives with you constantly.

I think birthing centres are a great compromise, and would chose one this time if I was allowed (I'm not, as I'm considered high risk due to thyroid issues). However, I'm lucky that my local birthing centre is attached to the main labour ward so you get the extra home comforts of a birthing centre with the reassurance that all the help you would ever need is on the other side of a double door.

the whole appeal of a homebirth is having your baby in your own surroundings though so a birthing centre isnt really a good compromise :shrug:

I think birthing centres are a great compromise, and would chose one this time if I was allowed (I'm not, as I'm considered high risk due to thyroid issues). However, I'm lucky that my local birthing centre is attached to the main labour ward so you get the extra home comforts of a birthing centre with the reassurance that all the help you would ever need is on the other side of a double door.

I had my last LO in a birthing centre and I loved it, it was a much better experience than the Labour ward for me, (not that I had a bad experience in the Labour ward). It was also just downstairs to the main Labour ward so again if the need was to arise then the reassurance was there.

If I was to ever have another LO then I would definitely opt for the birthing centre again if possible. :)

I had my last LO in a birthing centre and I loved it, it was a much better experience than the Labour ward for me, (not that I had a bad experience in the Labour ward). It was also just downstairs to the main Labour ward so again if the need was to arise then the reassurance was there.

If I was to ever have another LO then I would definitely opt for the birthing centre again if possible. :)
I like the idea of them but wouldn't want to rule out an epidural !
I can see the point of them not being a compromise to someone who wants the home birth but they are if you don't want a clinical approach or environment therefore one step down from a labour ward.
Did you stay in long? My friend went there after she gave birth to get help with her breast feeding and stayed for 3 days. Said they were fab, very unintrusive, patient and considerate. I think that's a great idea especially for the ones who struggle with latch issues and labour MW's don't have the staff or time.

When your child is a victim of medical malpractice like mine, you'd feel selfish to NOT have a home birth!

I can see the point of them not being a compromise to someone who wants the home birth but they are if you don't want a clinical approach or environment therefore one step down from a labour ward.
Did you stay in long? My friend went there after she gave birth to get help with her breast feeding and stayed for 3 days. Said they were fab, very unintrusive, patient and considerate. I think that's a great idea especially for the ones who struggle with latch issues and labour MW's don't have the staff or time.

Because I had already given birth I had a good idea that I wouldn't need an epidural and if for any reason I did then I could literally walk out the door up in the lift and into the labour suite where I could get one there, obviously wheeled out etc if necessary.

I had a water birth in the morning but did have to stay the night for test results for jaundice, I've had to stay a night with my previous babies though for the same reason but on the labour wards. In the birthing centre though I was given my own room and was left too it till the next morning, much better than being on a ward. You do have the option though of staying longer though in some centres if you need the extra support etc which I think is a great thing to have.

I do think that it could be classed as a compromise for the women that really do want a homebirth but can't or have been advised not to for what ever reason as like you said it takes away the clinical aspect and the formality of the labour wards. I know you are not in your own surroundings etc but I know when I was there I did have the choice on how I was monitored, how often or if I even wanted to be.

:)

Because I had already given birth I had a good idea that I wouldn't need an epidural and if for any reason I did then I could literally walk out the door up in the lift and into the labour suite where I could get one there, obviously wheeled out etc if necessary.

I had a water birth in the morning but did have to stay the night for test results for jaundice, I've had to stay a night with my previous babies though for the same reason but on the labour wards. In the birthing centre though I was given my own room and was left too it till the next morning, much better than being on a ward. You do have the option though of staying longer though in some centres if you need the extra support etc which I think is a great thing to have.

I do think that it could be classed as a compromise for the women that really do want a homebirth but can't or have been advised not to for what ever reason as like you said it takes away the clinical aspect and the formality of the labour wards. I know you are not in your own surroundings etc but I know when I was there I did have the choice on how I was monitored, how often or if I even wanted to be.

The problem is that they won't take anyone that's been refused a homebirth unless it's literally because the hospital is too far away. If you have any risk factors at all they won't let you in - your only choice is between the hospital or your home.

When your child is a victim of medical malpractice like mine, you'd feel selfish to NOT have a home birth!

And I actually just booked my next birth, a home birth, this afternoon. It may be in the birthing centre, not sure yet, it depends on how things go. For me, this is the most selfless option.

No drugs, no impairment, no mobility issues if the same problems happen again. It will hurt like hell and be more difficult then laying in a bed with an epidural but it's the best for my baby.

The problem is that they won't take anyone that's been refused a homebirth unless it's literally because the hospital is too far away. If you have any risk factors at all they won't let you in - your only choice is between the hospital or your home.

Sorry to quote all of it, not sure how to do just the last bit. :flower:

Is that the same with all birthing centres though? Like I said mine was within the hospital so transfer to the Labour ward would have taken no more than a minute. I'm aware that not all Birthing centres are attached to a hospital but I really don't think a birthing centre within a hospital is anywhere near as risky as a homebirth for those that have been refused.

Also OT but can they technically refuse a homebirth because of transfer distance, I've seen before some mention living quite a distance from a hospital yet still having a homebirth?

They can't actually refuse a homebirth at all, they can 'advise' against it. But all midwife led units will refuse a 'high risk' birth - but sometimes, by threatening a homebirth, you can be accepted as a special case.

They can't actually refuse a homebirth at all, they can 'advise' against it. But all midwife led units will refuse a 'high risk' birth - but sometimes, by threatening a homebirth, you can be accepted as a special case.

You can, in the extreme circumstance your that desperate for a home birth after being refused one stay at home and say your labouring at home and can't move. They have to send 2 midwives by law.

I don't think the OP has been worded well... as others have said the idea of selfish/selfless is a black-or-white notion that isn't appropriate and will inevitably clash with many personal experiences...

As for me: I had home births with both my children, having had problem-free pregnancies and researching my options in depth.

First time, I got the impression that I was being viewed as a young and ignorant hippy without a clue on what I was doing, which was unpleasant to say the least. I did insist that unless someone could tell me a medical reason that it would be inadvisable, I was opting for a home birth. I did and it was the best decision I could have made - for my son and me :flower:

Second time, I also had to insist that the only reason I would choose other than home would be a medical reason, not because someone had messed up the bookings :dohh: (actually happened)... again, the best decision I could have made.

I believe if I had been in a clinical environment there is every possibility that interventions would have been unnecessarily made. My birthing partner first time round told me afterwards that whenever the MW or FOB or herself opened the door to go in or out the room, I'd slow down noticeably.

So no, it isn't just about choosing comfort and familiarity over the baby's well-being. For me, being comfortable was key in allowing labour to progress as smoothly as possible, which surely benefits the baby.

And as someone mentioned previously, there's plenty of planning goes into a planned home birth - it is not the same as not being able to make it to hospital for whatever reason.

Just some of my thoughts :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"