Homemade Baby Food

MrsC10

Mummy
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm a little bit off crossing this bridge. I'm only 14 weeks, but I'd like to get opinions on this.

When weaning LO on to solids, I'd much prefer to make my own 'baby foods' rather than buy jars of stuff.
I'll be a full time working mum (but hoping to work a couple of days from home) so I'd like to know:

1 - how easy did you guys find it? Did you find it easy to find the time to make the food in advance?

2 - do you think it saved you money in the long term?

3 - do you see any other benefits or indeed any drawbacks to doing this?

Open to all ideas, suggestions, advice and stories.

Thanks in advance.

I was having major panic about starting solids as I was struggling to find time to eat my own meals as it was (baby was prone to crying every time I turned away from her, so I could never get anything done) let alone fit in spoon feeding her too! So I was so relieved when I heard about starting straight away with family foods at 6 months. No puree, no freezing stuff, no faff, just cooking with no salt!

I made a months worth at a time and froze in ice cube trays, took a portion out daily and warmed. I live 75 miles from a supermarket and the local tiny shop doesn't do baby food plus they taste terrible to me, except the fruit ones, yum. A months worth cost me a few pounds. I really only did this twice as he moved on to what we had at about 6 months.

I did a combo of jarred food and making my own, plus a bit of what a PP said with just giving baby 'regular' food cut up into little cubes or sticks.

It's not too hard to find the time to do it, especially if you make a lot at once (but I guess that is kind of determined by how much freezer space you have. I would steam veggies and puree them in my food processor, then freeze them in the empty baby food jars I had collected from the store bought stuff. I preferred those for storage because then I didn't have to worry about heating baby's food up in anything plastic.

One major advantage, I think, to making my own was that I could control the consistency of it. I would start off with thinner purees and then make them more and more 'chunky' over time so baby got used to the different textures.

We did baby-led weaning (which is I think different what what you are planning, though you might look into it because it was great and so much easier), but I did make homemade food generally.

The reality is that starting weaning does require extra work, no matter how you do it. Your LO can pretty soon start eating exactly what you eat, especially if you wait until 6 months, they can literally have the same exact things as you, even if you decide to puree them. Before 6 months, it's just veg, fruit or baby rice (no added dairy, wheat, nuts, meat, etc.). But even when you start, you do have to make separate things as something will be too salty or too spicy, etc. If you want to go the fruit and veg puree route, you just have to eat lots of fruits and veg yourself and make extra to keep. You don't necessarily have to cook separately. If you are making roasted carrots and parsnips and mash for dinner, then just make extra. It forces you to eat lots of veg yourself too.

The only downside I can see, if you're doing purees, is that there is more cleaning involved in terms of cleaning and storing your blender. Personally, I hate doing this and I often forget to do it until it dries and gets yucky the next day, which was one of the reasons we did BLW, because I couldn't bare to be purreeing things everyday and having to clean that thing.

It will definitely save money if you just offer baby extra food from what you're making anyway. The cost of an extra half a carrot is like 5p, compared to 20x that for a jar of carrot puree. The reality is that there will be A LOT of wasted food for the first 6-8 months of weaning. A lot is spit out, chucked on the floor, generally just disliked. So better to waste something that's less expensive than something you've paid way too much money for. The only time I spend money buying pre-made food is for snacks for when we're out and it isn't easy to bring food along (those baby puffs were great, as were some of the pre-made smoothie pouches).

The reality is that you'll be cooking for your child for the next 18 years. It doesn't get easier as they get older, so you might as well start now in learning ways to cook for both of you. Really, it just takes cooking healthily for yourself and finding creative ways to make child-friendly meals. Vegetable soup made for dinner can be blended into a puree or served chunky like you'd have it with buttered bread if you do BLW. Pasta with sauce is an easy favourite and it can be blended as well, after 6 months obviously. If you opt to start early, just make extra of your usual vegetables. In this sense, I think the benefit is that you just get used to doing it and how to squeeze it into your day. Doing meal prep while your partner gives your LO a bath or while they have some quality play time together, cooking extra on the weekends, and using a slow cooker have helped us. The benefit really is that if you cook yourself, your LO gets used to the kinds of foods and flavours you eat in your family, so they'll be more likely to want to eat those kinds of foods as they get older too.

To your questions : yes yes and yes :)
It was super easy to do. I loaded up on fruits and veggies at the store, baked or steamed them, then pureed them in a food processor and froze them in ice cube trays. Once frozen switch to labeled freezer bags. Just a few hours of "cooking" one day can make enough baby food for months, depending how much u make and how much u r feeding. It really didn't take much time at all. I actually got carried away I guess bc I started purees at 6 months and by 8 months my son started refusing being spoon fed and wanted finger foods, meanwhile I had a ton of purees in the freezer! Another tip is to look on a website of a brand that makes jarred baby foods and write down their combinations (like spinach and blueberries etc) I stole lots of combo ideas that way

I also had too many purees for my second son! He never liked sweet potato either, so his big brother (and I) ended up eating all of the sweet potato purees I made for him! lol

Super easy. I did what buttercup did. We add coconut oil to a lot of things, or bone broth that I've made, to thin things out and get him some fat. He loves egg yolks and avocados. We tried starting at 6 months and to about 6weeks before he was into it but just don't give them a lot at first (one thawed ice cube twice a day). Plus you can make smaller ice cubes for finger food or cut up frozen bananas or frozen purees you gave made.

We liked baby bullet hand me down from a friend but cuisenart works great too. Good luck!

I found "baby food," pretty useless. If you wean at 6 months, there's no need for them.

its really easy, i make an afternoon of it. fill my steamer to the max. i fill my freezer with a months worth at a time. its soooooooooo much cheaper. also if i am cooking us a bolognaise for example i cook the onions, meat, tomatoes add garlic. then take out a portion for my son before adding salt etc. then whizz that up and freeze it. easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->