Homemade Gift Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

todteach

Dreams can come true
Reaction score
My mom has informed me that this year we are going to do a homemade Christmas. Anyone have any good gift ideas? Need ideas for:

Mom
Dad
Sister (30 yrs old)
Brother in law (34 yrs old)
Nephew (10 yrs old)

I'm stumped..........I think it's a great idea to do Christmas on the cheap this year, but I can't think of anything to make yet? Help please :shrug:

Thanks

Ooooo like the idea of this thread for adult gifts - hopefully we have some creative people :lol:

you can buy bits and bobs from ebay to make jewellery as presents and can also get stuff for making cards cheaply off there...

i usually buy loose leaf tea or coffee to specially shop and then make my own little bag or contenair/box and a tag with a note to everyone name ( i do that for my client at the shop:))

I have some old farm house window frames...some with glass some without...that I hope to turn into mirrors, picture frames, and maybe memo boards ( with cork and metal for magnets to stick to).
Its easy to do and cheap......
Another idea is to use old frames from paintings.......take out painting and get your local auto window dealer to cut a mirror piece to fit.......

you can also write a personal saying or quote along the frame......metalic pen or just black ink.

there were about 10 or more 'oreo cookie" recipes on another thread...that and a box or 2 of cookies for the "COOKIE lover in family"

I'm trying to find good ideas on craft sites.......but nothing original yet.........

ok i'll try and keep this short:

get a plain clipboard (preferably a chipboard/wooden one from ebay/craft shop) for about £2,

then either buy/find some fancy paper (wrapping paper, wallpaper samples from shop etc) and cover the board.

if you have some ribbon/ old denim/ buttons lying around - get creative over the clipboard with those too.....

use a piesce of ribbon from the afore mentioned stash to tie a home-made tag that says "To Do" or "Shopping" or similar to the clip on the board.

Finally put some cut to note-size printer paper (coloured if you have it, white if not!) in the clip and you have a funky little home-made gift, that i hope made sense as i described it..... :blush:

I did this for my mum last year and she loved it! Hung it on a picture hook so messages are easy to find!

There's nothing nicer than recieving a present that someone has put effort into actually making. Much better than expensive gifts.

or another year i did a photoalbum for my parents..... got a nice art sketchbook (about £7) then went through fotos right from before i was born through to present day and did a story book type thing.... silly little captions by some of the fotos, that kinda idea....
Mum liked that one so much she cried.... still has me update it every now and then too!

Food gifts are always a good bet too. Homemade jams, chutneys, flavoured oils, etc. You can get some really nice jars and bottles to put them in as well.

you could download sum ones favourite songs put them onto a cd and then get a blank cd case and make ur own front cover and back cover use an actual cd casing cover for a template ....i did this for my OH once and called it our top 10 lol i noo im a soppy fart haha xx

I am a foodie. Last year I made homemade marshmellows and hot chocolate mix. I found cute little glass snowmen containers and filled them with them mix and put the marshmellows in clear cellophane bags with holiday ribbon. The year before I did cookies in a holiday tin.

I did a scrapbook for my mom last year--she loved it!

I made christmas cakes formy mum and dad and brother one year and decorated them....they loved them! I am a crap cook/baker but used a recipe off internet and tried it in advance to be sure it was nice and I wasnt going to poisen them!

The other thing is christmas cookiesor chocolate shapes( you can buy chocolate mould of ebay and melt yummy scrummy choco into them, then give them out in nice bag/box)

Decorate cheap picture fames, I am sure I saw a nice buttons one where someone glued loads of buttons on it looked lovely!

My aunty in fab at home made christmas gifts...she has made christmas stockings filled with chocolate, paper mache xmas puddings( she masheed over inflater ballon to make pudding base then a smaller one for lid then painted)
Also she has done xmas table decorations with holly and candles,also xmas door wreath.

Oh oh get cheap wine glassesfrom ikea and glass paint and personalise them with names etc and add a bottle of plonk too(we got that last year from DH aunty)

Think thats all for now.

Hope its some help!

Emma.xx

My Grandparents don't like it when we spend money on them, so I've often made them different sweets and put them in pretty boxes lined with tissue paper. Last year I made truffles, easy recipe off the internet and they were great and looked impressive.

I am a foodie. Last year I made homemade marshmellows and hot chocolate mix. I found cute little glass snowmen containers and filled them with them mix and put the marshmellows in clear cellophane bags with holiday ribbon.

I do this with home made cookie mix, everything but the 'wet' ingredients. Layer it in a jar nicely (use a funnel if you have one) tie a ribbon around it and make a hand painted label with directions about adding the 'wet' ingredients and baking instructions.. I give them to almost everyone every few years.

in the past i have bought very large family sized bottles of bubble bath and then decanted them into small bottles that i have painted or stuck jewels on to and made nice toppers for them. or even cheaper buy coloured bath crystals and layer them in jam jars - cut a circle of material to cover the lid and your done!

My aunt made this type of home-made peanut butter cup thing with marshmellows for me once,put them in a basket and attached the recipe to it. It was really nice.

Also, for my graduation, my best friend got these unpainted wooden boxes from the dollar store and decorated one specifically for each of us (4 of us in our group of friends) and filled it with things that reminded her of us. I still have the box, its on my dresser and keeps all kinds of important things (like my ultrasound pictures!)

I sew cross-stitch patterns, and then personalise them by adding a message with the person's name. I've also made decorations (either for the tree or things like big stockings) also with a message or name on.

I also make photo frames, from cardboard & papier mache (sp?) and then paint them. I did one recently for a friends birthday, and made it so it could have 3 or 4 photos in.....then I added photos in ready.

xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back