Homemade woollen items...is wool ok?

Smiler82

Reaction score
Saw my MIL this weekend and she said she is knitting some baby items,and also wants us to have a shawl her great aunt knitted for my DH when he was born in the 1970s. I just wondered are these items going to be ok to use with a newborn? I vaguely remember reading something about only using certain materials for baby clothes and toys...not sure if it is something to do with chemicals for the colours, certain textures not good for young skin or what! Any ideas? x

The majority of baby clothes used to be made from wool. It is a natural fiber that is hypoallergenic, fire re-tardant and has good anti fungal properties.

The dyes and conditioners are tested, but if you are really worried you could ask your MIL to use organic dyed wool (wool with dyes made from all natural ingredients such as plant matter)

Think of it this way, the last 20 generations or so have been doing it wrong if wool is bad for them.
Untill about 30 years ago pretty much all baby clothes where wool or made with wool.
Obviously if they come ourt with a reaction then dont use it but generally its fine.

I knit and sew, and there are special grades of wool thats super soft for nuewborn babys, but even normal good quality wool is fine :)

Regular wool is fine. make sure you wash everything before use but yeah - kids have been wearing handmade woolens for years :)

My LO will be sporting a great range in nannies cardis (and nanny let me pick the styles so I'll actually use them :))

It should be fine. I'm very allergic to wool, though, so when my parents received some wool knit items for me as a newborn, she put them on me, and I instantly turned red with hives and rashes and screamed my head off. As it turns out, my mom's allergic too and didn't realize until she broke out from handling the items (my father had dressed me, so she hadn't handled it.) lol... Most people aren't allergic to wool, though. There shouldn't be an issue, but I'd still test it on a small area before putting on a whole outfit, if any animal allergies run in your family.

Thanks ladies! I have no idea about knitting or babies :D went into our local sewing shop today and they have a whole section of 'baby' wool and confused me more! Thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->