Homo Milk

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
My nurse practitioner told me that since Elyse seems to be gaining well and is no longer sitting below the 10th percentile that she is comfortable giving me the go-ahead to start introducing homo milk (before she had advised me to give her as much formula as possible.. so I guess it has been fattening her up a bit :shy:)... she said of course still give her the same bottles but she could have homo milk with her meals as a drink or her cereal could be mixed with it now..

Is this really okay?

She gave me a sample menu that included 4 6-8oz bottles (which is what she is having now) and then 2-3oz homo milk as a drink with meals (instead of juice/water... she normally has water with her meals). She also told me since she does well with a sippy cup to not bother putting homo milk in a bottle, just give it in the cup so she doesn't decide she likes her milk bottles better than formula bottles..

Here it is not recommended for them to drink homo milk at all before age 1 or even use it in cereals, the only time it's ok is when it's cooked into something such as in a meal with cheese or if you have to add milk in the cooking process so it gets cooked some or yogurts things like that, but not straight milk. I personally wouldn't but I know some here do it and I think it's more recommended in the UK that it IS ok, where here it isn't.

I'm assuming homo milk is cows milk?? It can be given in any way you like, it doesnt have to be cooked but it must'nt be given to replace formula milk

Sorry, just looked up what homo milk actually is lol. It is recommended you give full fat milk to your baby but if your doc/health visitor or other health professional has said your baby can have it then thats fine :)

I had to double check this thread title :blush: :rofl:

Never heard of homo milk!

But if it's full fat milk, then you really shouldn't use it before 12months. The thing with formula is it contains loads of vitamins and nutrients that cows milk doesn't. Cows milk also won't make a huge difference in her weight. Certainly not enough to fatten her up.

I was given the go ahead a few weeks ago to use cows milk in cereals, cooking etc but still need to keep up the formula until her first birthday. I wouldn't have thought you need to give her milk as a drink while she's still having formula (water would be enough.) I was told that her milk drink after one year is purely for calcium needs and not for getting calories/ energy as all that should now come from her food intake.

Our doctor here has said to wait until at least 12 months or 11month at the very earliest and LeeAnne is almost 26lbs! I do use it for cooking certain things but think Ill just wait until shes 11.5m to start introducing it.

But if it's full fat milk, then you really shouldn't use it before 12months. The thing with formula is it contains loads of vitamins and nutrients that cows milk doesn't. Cows milk also won't make a huge difference in her weight. Certainly not enough to fatten her up.

I haven't either, if homo milk was what I was imagining it wouldn't be very nutritious at all :sick:

I haven't either, if homo milk was what I was imagining it wouldn't be very nutritious at all :sick:

:laugh2::laugh2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->