Honestly, how painful was your labor?

feedindy

Reaction score
Hi,

I know everyone has a different pain tolerance, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share how painful they felt their labor was.

I just had my girl almost 2 weeks ago and my labor was so painful from the get-go. My water broke first, and the contractions were excruciating although I was only 1 cm dilated. I got an epidural but I was still screaming in pain the entire time. Honestly, I was about to beg for a c-section. It was the worst pain I could ever imagine and I will never want to go through it again. I watch some of these baby shows where the mother gives birth naturally and all they do is a little moan at the very end. Looks like they barely felt anything. I have so much respect for anyone who can give birth without pain meds.

Is anyone willing to share how painful they felt their labor was?

Also, if you got an epidural, is it normal not to be able to move your legs or feel if you are pushing but feel all of the pain of labor contractions? I am not sure how normal my experience was, which is why I am asking...

My labour was excruciatingly painful. I remember lying on the bed thinking "I am never..never...NEVER doing that again"

I'm pregnant again now.... but there's 8 years between first and this one. I'm first tri and already dreading it :(

Re epidural.... I had that experience too....

I thought my labour was painful, but nothing I couldn't handle. I only had G&A and I survived at home with no pain relief for quite a long time into my labour, I was 8cms when I arrived at hospital. The water in the birthing pool really helped me' though. But the pushing, fuck that was a bitch! I know why they call it 'the ring of fire' I shudder just thinking about the pushing stage. I didn't have the G&A then either as I wanted to concentrate.

For me the pain is not the worst part, its the feeling of strong pressure. With this LO it was the worst, he wasn't in a good position so it was like 1 step forward, 2 steps back, contractions kept stopping and starting, by the time I was close to the pushing stage I felt like I was going to explode, but the pushing was easy and not really painful; it was just two pushes and he was out, I have only ever used gas and air due to various reasons both medical and personal I would never have an epidural xx

For me the pain wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Didn't get any pains in my tummy though, just in my back. Also my whole birth experience was just 3 hours so maybe the pain didn't get a chance to build up IYKWIM?

I used a tens machine (highly recommend it to the lady in first tri!) and G&A.

Mine with Owen was the most painfull thing ive ever felt in my life,horrifying pressure and scary contractions that merged into eachother with no breaks.Owen was a big baby and got stuck which hadnt happened to me before and I was scared for the first time in any of my labours I didnt feel in control at all.It did only take a couple of hours once I was in hospital fully dilated but I pushed for an hour trying to get him out,ive only ever done 2 pushes with my other 2.I swore I would never go through that again but im allready thinking id like to have another:haha:

Not that painful - the contractions were like strong period pains. It was only the fact that they were so close together that made it really difficult. The pushing was horrendously painful, but it was also kind of a relief too.

The worst part was probably the pressure of needing to push but not being able to because I wasn't in the delivery suite yet.

So painful, Mason was b2b and it was horrid as the contractions were in my back and bum. I found the birthing pool help. In all honesty I found after labour recovery more painful as I gained a third degree tear. All worth it and will def be doing it again.

first pregnancy- My labour pains STARTED at 3-5 minutely lasting 1-2 minute which then got progressively longer, harder and more agonising. I had braxton hicks incredibly regularly from week 20 so I didnt know how my true labour contractions would fit in with my pattern of braxton hicks, turns out I have a well honed irritable uterus which was a little too good at its job of contracting!

Was f****g AWFUL! Baby was back to back but stuck back to back so in between my incredibly frequent contractions (which wernt doing anything bar attempting to turn the baby) I would have agonising back pain too. My LO never actually dropped so my cervix took a while to efface and dilate at first.

Labour was THE most painful thing I have EVER experienced in my life. Slightly mentally scarred from the experience to be honest.

I found my contractions painful and couldn't sit still during them so spent a lot of time walking up and down the ward! I remember feeling very paniced and shaky for a short period and that really scared me- I was in the ward bathroom on my own at that point but talking to the MW later she thought I was probably in the tranisition phase and apparently it is fairly common to feel like that.
I chewed the mouthpiece more than using the G+A once I got to the delivery room at 10cm and the pushing was painful but it also felt like a relief.
I found the local I was given for the episotomy painful, I wouldve preffered not to have one but wasn't given much choice due to her breech presentation.

Bad - but not as bad as I feared. My contractions started 5 mins apart but quite mild, and built up - my OH and mum still laugh at me for being convinced it was constipation, initially ;) 3 hrs later waters broke and baby 5 hrs after that. I started with a TENS but not convinced it did much after waters broke. Then gas and air (which I got on really well with, thankfully!)

The 'ring of fire' was really the worst bit, because it hurt so much I really didn't want to push - and by that point I was really, really tired (crashing asleep between contractions - gas! scream! push! zonked!) but i don't think that stage lasted soooo long. She was 8lb 14oz (with the head of an average 2month old :dohh:) and I had an episiotomy and a graze, but I have no fear of doing it again - at least next time I'll know it isn't going to last forever (felt like it was going to, if I'm honest!) xx

My waters broke 2 days before I was induced so when my contractions came - they hit like a truck :wacko: Saying that, I was able to handle them until they put me on G&A. That worked like a dream and after that, it was 'just' immense pressure! It felt like my body was turning inside out, but wasn't excurtiatingly painful IYKWIM? Erin was back to back as well which I guess made the pressure worse?

TBH, I can't remember much of my labour now!

I didn't find it that painful to be honest. I think that is because I was expecting it to be so much worse than it was...if that makes sense. I think because it was a gradual build up it helped too. I found the aftermath, feeling dizzy, woozy etc much worse and that seemed to go on for weeks lol.

I just used a tens machine but I didn't turn it up full throttle as was waiting until it really hurt lol! I got to the hospital and was 8cm dilated after having contractions for a few hours. I have sinus pain and that is much worse for me. I was very quiet, I didn't make a noise till the pushing out stage!

I didn't think the ring of fire was bad either and had a 9lber x

my labour wasnt terribly painful, just really uncomfortable..id do it again anyway

xx

I think I'm at the point now where I'm thinking it wasn't that bad :haha:

I do think my recovery was more painful than the labour itself - was a forceps delivery without an epidural. I had a third degree tear which was sore for a long time xx

Completely manageable for me. xx

my last labour wasnt painful but i went into the experience with a clear head and also did hypnosis. birthing without fear made all the diff. I had a painful time with my daughter and then my still birth before that both terrifying. but my son was truly amazing.

I have to admit i was in so much pain but it was worth it as always. Within an hour i moved from 0-5cm and i think that's why i was in agony because i had a short labour. Also the fact the contractions were all in my tummy...ouch ouch ouch...no more babies for a few years i think! Gas and Air is brilliant though, i have to say that. Even though you feel the pain still, it helps you cope with it.

It was the worst pain i had ever experiance but i found it manageable. I had a 9lbs 12oz baby on just gas and air in the water.
I think what also helped was a midwife once told me every contraction is like climbing a mouantin towards getting your baby, and that you would never get given anythign you couldnt cope with.

My water broke and the contractions started 5mins later. They were strong and 3 mins apart right from the 1st one. I got to the hospital 2hrs after my 1st contraction and was 6cm and LO was back to back. I went through my pregnancy with an open mind about labour, I wasn't scared at all. I got an epi about an hour after getting to the hospital and it was wonderful! I felt no pain only knew I was having a contraction from watching the monitor. I could still sort of feel my legs, but they were very heavy. I didn't mind pushing, didn't feel any pain at all. With the epi I was relaxed and truly enjoyed labour, before the epi it was awful. I pushed for 2hrs, but LO had a big head, was face up and got very stuck. So I had to have a EMCS. He was so stuck they had a hard time getting him out during the section and it ended up ripping my uterus on both sides. Now I have to have c sections for any other children.

I would give anything to have a vaginal birth for the rest of my children. My c section recovery was so painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->