Horrible Smell! Bad for Baby???

Gwen77

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm currently 10wks right now. I'm sitting here at my desk and my co-worker who sits beside me STINKS like one of those medicated creams (smells like that 'Rub A535' stuff for sore muscles). It is absolutely AWFUL. The smell is so overwhelming!

Is this bad for baby? I mean, it's not just a whiff that I'm getting once in a while, it's a constant stench that's burning my nose.

Any advice?? Not sure I can sit here all day (7hr. work day) with that smell. I can get up and walk around to relieve it, but when I come back it's like a slap in the face!! Another problem is that no one here knows I'm pregnant yet. So I can't really say anything!

I think baby will be fine! I'm also guessing your sense of smell has turned hyper sensitive, when I was pregnant with my son I could smell everything, even dog wee whilst walking down the street!

A smell will not doing anything to a baby. I suggest reading up a bit on how the human body/pregnancy works.

A smell will not doing anything to a baby. I suggest reading up a bit on how the human body/pregnancy works.

Wow, um... Thanks? I've been pregnant before and I am well informed, thank you very much. I've never come across this type of issue before and I was looking to see if anyone had similar experiences, not snotty replies. And yes, certain smells CAN affect a growing fetus.

If smells could hurt baby, I'd be in trouble. ;) My nose is detecting all kinds of crazy things now. I'm sure all will be well for you, even if the smell is unpleasant. <3

I suspect the smell you are smelling is actually Camphor if it's a heat rub for sore muscle kind of smell. I've been reading up on this myself as I've had a head cold and have been looking into the safety of Vapo-rubs during the first trimester.

First of all I think it's probably fine. But here is the balanced view I've gotten so far....

From the research I've been doing it looks like the recommendation for camphor is to avoid it during pregnancy as inhalation has shown to cause nervous system issues in very young children. (when used with a humidifier in higher doses. Way higher than you yourself are getting from breathing it in).

However :thumbup: There is no scientific evidence that camphor ingested in the amounts you would be having (even if you rubbed the stuff into your own skin) would have any adverse effects on you or baby.

I'm sorry though that sounds really unpleasant to have to work with :-S Maybe ask your colleague what they are using it for, try and discern how much longer it's going to be a problem? If they're using it for muscle pain and having to slather so much of it on that it's burning your nostrils, maybe you could suggest those heat pads that self warm and adhere to the skin. I speak from experience when I say they work MUCH better than the creams, and bonus, they're odorless!

Good luck.

Thanks.

Yes, chemical smells during pregnancy can be dangerous (i.e., some household cleaning supplies, second hand smoke obviously, paint fumes, and as you stated above adult Vicks Vapo rub is not recommended). When I was pregnant with my first son our office air conditioner broke and a very potent chemical leaked all over our floors and desks. They sent me home because the smell was overwhelming not only for me, but for other co-workers.
What you breathe, baby breathes.

It is my understanding that the chemical themselves you breath in can be dangerous, but not the actual scent as that's just receptors in your nose sending the info to your brain. The chemicals enter your lungs and therfore blood and therefore baby.

Wow, um... Thanks? I've been pregnant before and I am well informed, thank you very much. I've never come across this type of issue before and I was looking to see if anyone had similar experiences, not snotty replies. And yes, certain smells CAN affect a growing fetus.

I'd ignore Lithodora if I were you - she seems to want to position herself as a bit of an aggressive straight talker, the likes of which are welcome on many other boards but are thankfully fairly absent here...

Assume her responses to you will be scornful as per other threads and ignore them and all will be well...

Lithodora: seeing as we are all so stupid with our stupid questions, I really wonder what you are doing here...

Yuck sounds vile.
Maybe you should counter it with a stronger smell, like nice fat jar of picked onions left open :haha:

*drools* :D

Yeah people like Lithodora belong on other sites that shall remain nameless.

I'm sure the scent alone is fine to breath but you don't want to be overly exposed to it like PP said.
I've noticed I can smell smells on people way more than I used to.

If it's strong enough to burn your nose, you're perfectly entitled to ask to move your desk!

Smells have been bothering me more than usual too. I'm a nurse, so I smell some pretty gross things all day, I actually gagged in front of somebody the other day, almost vomited from the smell. :sick: Another time, I passed by someone wearing really strong perfume at the store and it made me feel so sick. Smelling that rub all the time would probably put me over the edge too. :wacko: I'm not sure if it's harmful or not, but I hope you can move your desk away.

Yuck sounds vile.
Maybe you should counter it with a stronger smell, like nice fat jar of picked onions left open :haha:

*drools* :D

*snickers* thanks. :haha:

And thanks for the support everyone. I guess after I lost my a baby in February at 7wks, I'm a little more cautious and worried about things.

That rub makes me gag too when I'm pregnant but in hoping it wouldn't harm your lil one. I would speak to supervisor or boss and explain though. I'm super sensitive to smells even when I'm not pregnant. I've no tolerance for stink smelly ppl. Gross. Congratulations on your pregnancy hun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->