Hospital bag

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
i know theres a few threads on this topic, but none are still active, hope i dont annoy anyone making another..
i have started my hospital bag, maybe a bit early at 31 weeks but i need to or i feel unprepared!!
anyway so far i have:
For baby;
4 new born vests,
4 new born baby grows/sleep suits.
3 0-3 vests
3 0-3 baby grows
2 hats
1 pair of mittens
2 pairs of socks
pair of booties
about 4 bibs
2 blankets
Nappy rash ointment (maintainum)
cotton wool balls, just in case.
will have a few nappies just in case too
- i always feel it is going to be really busy when im in hospital and at times there are lots of mums trying to get to nappies etc, i might aswel take a few from home.

For me;
- So far i only have some slippers and about 10 pairs of breast pads, but i plan on getting;

Maternity/sanitry towels
about 10 pairs of knickers
a comfy/sports bra or 2
dark dressing gown
pair of comfy, loose, dark pjs
'dossing about' tracksuit to come home in
shower/toiletry essentials
2 dark towels (hosp do provide but are white!!)
hair brush
phone for pics
bits of munch
money for food/magazines if needed..

i dont see the point in having lip balm, make up, camera, hair band, mp3 player etc but is there anything else major ive missed for me or baby? wont need anything for OH as he wont be allowed to stay anyway and he isnt planning on being there for the birth (may change) so its all just for me and baby!

Whilst agree re makeup - no need really - I would say vaseline for your lips as gas and air can really dry them out. Maybe it's just me, but I hate having dry and uncomfortable lips!

I didn't find breast pads or bibs were needed in hospital as I didn't leak until milk came in, by which time I was at home.

I also overpacked in terms of baby clothes - didn't need many changes for baby despite being in 2 nights (post-section). Newborn size were big enough for my 8lb2 daughter - in fact she didn't get into 0-3 until she was about a month old!

I love hospital bag threads - but they're always UK and I'm from the US. We call things by different names and I get confused. Baby grows, vests, etc. Is that onesies and shirts/gowns?

Anyway.. The hospitals here pretty much provide what we need but if we wanted to bring something it's more of a luxury.

Your list looks good. I can't think of anything to add.

ETA: Phone charger. They always get forgotten.

Whilst agree re makeup - no need really - I would say vaseline for your lips as gas and air can really dry them out. Maybe it's just me, but I hate having dry and uncomfortable lips!

I didn't find breast pads or bibs were needed in hospital as I didn't leak until milk came in, by which time I was at home.

I also overpacked in terms of baby clothes - didn't need many changes for baby despite being in 2 nights (post-section). Newborn size were big enough for my 8lb2 daughter - in fact she didn't get into 0-3 until she was about a month old!

agree with all of this DD was 8lb 3 born and was around 6 weeks before going into 0-3, vaseline a definate i didnt use gas and air but the aircon in hospital always drys my lips out and i hate that!
i would take a camera though phone pics arent always the best and you want the best pics of your squishy newborn!!!
i didnt take socks or booties as i only had sleepsuits so wernt needed prob wouldnt bother with nappy cream, have you checked with hospital to see if they do provide nappies cotton wool etc i know most dont now so you may need more of these x

I would skip the mittens, socks and booties, add more food for yourself! I was late getting onto a ward (11pm), and just had to make do with a stingy sandwich after 24hrs of no food.
Also, depends if you plan bfing - nipple cream. Use straight away, before they get too bad.

in regards to the vaseline, i may just pop some in my bag, a little tub wont take up too much room will it..
im taking 0-3 clothes as the clothes i have seem to be smaller sizes, i dont know if its just me over thinking though, i may just keep the 0-3 to one side so OH can bring them if needed?
as i said in my post, the hospital im going to does provide nappies and cotton wool etc. but you have to go to a certain room to get them, my friend said at one time she was waiting about 10 mins to get to the room as the hospital was so full when she was there, so im going to take a small amount of them just in case it is busy.
My friend also told me she forgot to pick booties, socks and mittens up, she didnt bother getting her OH to get some as they was already on the baby grows she had, the midwives went mad with her in the hospital and lectured her about her baby needing booties and mittens whether they are on the baby grows or not, to save my self a patronizing lecture ill just take a pair.
Also im not planning on taking food, i may take some chocolate & crisps but otherwise im going to take money for food, im sure my good old daddy wil get me some food when i want some :)
with the phone charger, ill probably pop it in my bag at the last min but as me and OH have the same charger and only one ill probably just ensure its charged if im going to need to stay in longer than 24 hours!!

I love hospital bag threads - but they're always UK and I'm from the US. We call things by different names and I get confused. Baby grows, vests, etc. Is that onesies and shirts/gowns?

Anyway.. The hospitals here pretty much provide what we need but if we wanted to bring something it's more of a luxury.

Your list looks good. I can't think of anything to add.

ETA: Phone charger. They always get forgotten.

The pink one is a baby grow/sleep suit.
The red one is a vest
:D

Attachments

• 0000226_delicate-stripe-soft-pink-baby-grow.jpg
    0000226_delicate-stripe-soft-pink-baby-grow.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online