Hospital Bags

knk2011

Reuben's Mummy :)
Reaction score

What are you packing and how are you packing your bags?

I'm 27 weeks tomorrow and will slowly be getting my bags together, as over the next few weeks I'll be really busy and should be moving house.

How big a bag are you packing?
What are you packing in it?
What are you planning on taking to hospital?

I want to keep my stuff separate from baby's stuff. I am the kind of person who has everything in a bag organised, so I know exactly where something is, including compartments etc. Hubby on the other hand, if he were to look for something in one of the bags for me, he would just rummage and pull everything out until he found it, then he would shove it all back in - if I can at least point him toward the right bag, it may not bother me so much when he causes hell on earth inside them :haha:.

I've written a list of what I perhaps plan on packing so far, what do you think?;

For Me
Birth plan (which I haven't written)
Maternity notes
Warm socks (I've been told your feet get cold in labour)
Birth ball
Snacks and drinks
Something to do
Phone charger
Breast pads
New, cotton, button down, pajamas for after birth
Maternity pads
Arnica Cream
Lots of cheap underwear (I'd rather just throw them away afterward)
Sanitary gel/wipes
Lip balm
Travel size Shampoo/conditioner (I know I may not use it, but I'd like to have it)
My own toothpaste/new toothbrush
Deoderant
Hair bobbles/hair grips
My own towel (having your own things feels much better I think)
My V pillow
Camera

I'm not really sure what to pack for baby though? Minus the obvious, but I don't know how many nappies I should pack etc.

I've also heard it may be useful to pack a bag for short term stay and one for long term, which I could leave in the car and get OH to collect if it turns out I am staying much longer.

I have a few bags. I love to have things organised and separated so this is what I've done.
My bag:
3x pjs (all dark colours)
Loads of large pants (to go over scar)
Towels (1xbath 1xhair)
Makeup bag:
lip balm, mascara, moisturiser,face wipes, hair bands, hair brush
Wash bag:
travel size shampoo, conditioner, shower gel in zip lock bag
Roll on deodorant- as I'm
Bfing
Toothbrush,paste and mouthwash
Flannel
Nipple cream & bump cream
Slippers (slip on,hard soles)
Nursing tops
Coming home outfit
Mat pads x 10
Breast pads x 6
1x ziplock bag: with 1xnb &1x0-3 outfit incl hats and mittens and 1x nappy for delivery room
Thick socks with gripper bottoms
Baby bag:
10x nappies
Cotton wool
Bum cream
Burp cloths
Toy
Blanket
Swaddle pod
Nappy sacks
Baby towel
Hand sanitiser

I then have a few bags which will be left in the car. One has extra bits for me like more pants, pads pjs etc and then I have a small drawstring bag with nb clothes and one with 0-3 clothes. Dh can go and get anything I need out of the boot when and if I need it.
I started packing pretty early and put it I the car around 36-37 weeks.
I'm having a c-section so I've packed for a couple of days. I've also labelled everything so dh can't get it wrong as that would drive me nuts. If you have a guy like mine I recommend packing a bag for them with snacks and drinks as he will just moan if he's hungry or tired.

why Sanitary gel/wipes may I ask? you will be told not to use anything other than water. Trust me the sting when you wee is enough as it is, they suggest tipping a cup of warm water as you go... And if you have stitches they tell you not to touch them with anything other than water same with grazes tears.

As for your bag I would say take a light weight dressing gown as you might get cold, I know I did. also take trackie bottoms, and tops etc. I wanted to get dressed in the morning after a shower etc.

x

why Sanitary gel/wipes may I ask? you will be told not to use anything other than water. Trust me the sting when you wee is enough as it is, they suggest tipping a cup of warm water as you go... And if you have stitches they tell you not to touch them with anything other than water same with grazes tears.

As for your bag I would say take a light weight dressing gown as you might get cold, I know I did. also take trackie bottoms, and tops etc. I wanted to get dressed in the morning after a shower etc.

x

For my hands, rather than running to wash them constantly I can give them a wipe over etc to keep things clean.

My husband packed the baby's bag already, but i don't know when would be a good time to pack mine. I'm 35 weeks today and some ppl are telling me it's to earily then others are telling me to have one asap because you never know.

I am thinking i will pack one next week.

Then i'm not sure what to even pack myself. So this post i'll be watching closely.

I have a few bags. I love to have things organised and separated so this is what I've done.
My bag:
3x pjs (all dark colours)
Loads of large pants (to go over scar)
Towels (1xbath 1xhair)
Makeup bag:
lip balm, mascara, moisturiser,face wipes, hair bands, hair brush
Wash bag:
travel size shampoo, conditioner, shower gel in zip lock bag
Roll on deodorant- as I'm
Bfing
Toothbrush,paste and mouthwash
Flannel
Nipple cream & bump cream
Slippers (slip on,hard soles)
Nursing tops
Coming home outfit
Mat pads x 10
Breast pads x 6
1x ziplock bag: with 1xnb &1x0-3 outfit incl hats and mittens and 1x nappy for delivery room
Thick socks with gripper bottoms
Baby bag:
10x nappies
Cotton wool
Bum cream
Burp cloths
Toy
Blanket
Swaddle pod
Nappy sacks
Baby towel
Hand sanitiser

I then have a few bags which will be left in the car. One has extra bits for me like more pants, pads pjs etc and then I have a small drawstring bag with nb clothes and one with 0-3 clothes. Dh can go and get anything I need out of the boot when and if I need it.
I started packing pretty early and put it I the car around 36-37 weeks.
I'm having a c-section so I've packed for a couple of days. I've also labelled everything so dh can't get it wrong as that would drive me nuts. If you have a guy like mine I recommend packing a bag for them with snacks and drinks as he will just moan if he's hungry or tired.

I am definitely packing him some things. I know what he's like, he'll be so worried about me and baby that he won't be thinking of himself. But if he isn't fed etc he won't have the energy to take care of us. So I'll need to make sure he has snacks and drinks and DEFINITELY a phone charger packed somewhere lol.

I'm also gonna pack a bag for baby, and one that has all the things we'll need straight away. Then leave a bigger bag in the car with extra things I'll need if I have to stay for longer.

I've been told to pack for a C section just in case I have to go for an emergency one. Is there anything else I should consider packing in case that happens?

Pregnancy brain at it's worse :blush: I thought you meant somehing else haha.

Most hospitals have them on the wards for you.

I personally dont believe in using them, I used to just wash my hands like normal x

I used an overnight bag on wheels for my stuff, then I put my pillow on the top through the roller bars. Did that with both my others. All I could manage when checking in was a roller bag :) babies bag is a back pack

Mines a just in case bag as I'm planning a Homebirth....but here's what I got. It's all in the same holdall, just different sections.

Mamma:
Medical notes including birth plan
Labour tank top
Pyjamas
Dress - coming home
8 knickers (black)
5 disposable knickers
2 socks
1 bra
10 mat pads
2 reusable breast pads
Nipple cream
Tissues

Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower gel, Lotion, Deodarant, Toothpaste/brush, Mouthwash, antibacterial gel, lip balm, make up (all travel size).

Paracetamol
Flannel
Towel
Flip flops
TENS machine
Small scented bin liner for dirty items

Camera/chargers/phone will be grabbed if I'm transferred as they'll be in use.

Baby:
Nappies (1 pack size 1 x 27 nappies) - way too many but I'm not opening the pack
Wipes
Nappy bags
Sudocream (travel size)
3 Sleep suits
4 vests
1 hat
1 mits
2 pairs socks

Blanket
Starter kit of formula (worst case scenario)
Car seat

With DS1 I packed my bag after my water broke! I'm so unorganised and I was in labour at my friends house because I had to go there to collect my camera!

Think ill try and pack a bag this time before anything happens! Ha

Omg u ladies r so organised I haven't packed a thing,..

All I'm gonna pack for myself is ...

Clothes for going home
Pjs (2 nitees as I'm having cs)
Undies
Ahh bras for bfing
Breast pads
1 pack maternity pads
Travel pack that you get from shops (has mini toiletries and shower stuff)
Brush
Tooth brush

Everything else seems way too much and everyone I've spoken too says they never use half of it...
We both have new phones for camera and the only other thing I'm taking is my camera (have a photographers camera)

I would just say try to pack as light as you possibly can. My hospital bag with my first baby was ridiculous I had so much stuff! Loads of vests, sleep suits and cardigans, blankets for the baby. None of it fitted. I bought all size 0-3 months and she was 6lb 4oz and was almost too small for newborn size. I had a ridiculous amount of toiletries and sleep wear/clothes too. We were only in for a day and a half and I had enough stuff for a week. Also I don't know if every NHS hospital does this but mine provided nappies, cotton wool and johnsons baby products free of charge underneath the cot so I won't be taking any of that stuff with me this time. I'll take travel size toiletries for me too. I'm just going to pack a cheap nightdress for labour and some comfy pj's/lounge wear for the ward. An outfit for going home and maternity pads, some make up. That's about it this time. My husband or mum can bring anything else I need if I'm going to be in longer

I just did mine this week at 36 weeks. I am attempting a VBAC but have packed enough so I can get by for a day or two should I need a longer stay. I have based it on what I found I needed from lots of ovenight stays in pregnancy last time and after my c-section. I know that last time I needed what I packed so would rather have what I need rather than sending DH back for stuff and him getting it wrong.

My bag
  • 2x jogging bottoms
  • 3x t-shirts
  • Lots of knickers
  • 2x comfortable bras
  • 3x bra's
  • Jumper
  • Leggings and a very long top for birthing in
  • Mini toiletries, brush and a small amount of make-up
  • 20 maternity towels
  • A towel
  • A bottle of cordial and snacks
  • Cloth breast pads (still need to get them)

Baby bag
  • 3x bodysuits
  • 3x sleep suits
  • 2x hats
  • 1x booties
  • 2x scratch mits
  • 1x soft 'going home' outfit
  • 1x pack of newborn nappies
  • 1x pack of cotton wool disks (I like them more than the ball ones)
  • 1x baby blanket

I would just say try to pack as light as you possibly can. My hospital bag with my first baby was ridiculous I had so much stuff! Loads of vests, sleep suits and cardigans, blankets for the baby. None of it fitted. I bought all size 0-3 months and she was 6lb 4oz and was almost too small for newborn size. I had a ridiculous amount of toiletries and sleep wear/clothes too. We were only in for a day and a half and I had enough stuff for a week. Also I don't know if every NHS hospital does this but mine provided nappies, cotton wool and johnsons baby products free of charge underneath the cot so I won't be taking any of that stuff with me this time. I'll take travel size toiletries for me too. I'm just going to pack a cheap nightdress for labour and some comfy pj's/lounge wear for the ward. An outfit for going home and maternity pads, some make up. That's about it this time. My husband or mum can bring anything else I need if I'm going to be in longer

I agree with you. I'm packing light as I know the hospital will provide things like mommy aftercare products, diapers etc. I'm packing some pjs for me, a gown, a robe, slippers, undies and some sort of going home outfit. Snacks. A fan. Toiletries. Baby will have a onsie, blanket, socks, hat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->